Filtering by "Film Noir" returns nothing.
V 1.3.0.14
I have movies which include some "Film Noir" genre. I verified that at least one of them is indeed recognized by Ember has being film noir (Detour). I can filter other genres, Action, for example, but "Film Noir" returns nothing. Could it be that it is because the genre is two words? Perhaps a different internal spelling?
(2013-09-15, 02:32)fbacher Wrote: V 1.3.0.14
I have movies which include some "Film Noir" genre. I verified that at least one of them is indeed recognized by Ember has being film noir (Detour). I can filter other genres, Action, for example, but "Film Noir" returns nothing. Could it be that it is because the genre is two words? Perhaps a different internal spelling?

Do you use the english language in Ember?
Yes I use english Ember. It displays as "Film Noir" in both the checkbox and the genre tag for the movie.
(2013-09-16, 22:40)fbacher Wrote: Yes I use english Ember. It displays as "Film Noir" in both the checkbox and the genre tag for the movie.
Ok I will take a look and try to simulate this on my system - will report back!

EDIT:
Can't reproduce the behaviour you described. Film Noir Filter works for me
In the .nfo, the genre is:

<genre>Crime</genre>
<genre>Drama</genre>
<genre>Film-Noir</genre>
<genre>Film-Noir</genre>
^
hyphen
(2013-09-16, 23:10)fbacher Wrote: In the .nfo, the genre is:

<genre>Crime</genre>
<genre>Drama</genre>
<genre>Film-Noir</genre>
For me it's saved as:
<genre>Film Noir</genre>

did you rename the genre in Ember? As a workaround you can rename the Film Noir genre in Ember to Film-Noir and then filter will work again. Or you rename the nfo entry with a good textedtior like Notepad++ (Search and replace in files function)
Hmm. I rescraped the movie "Detour (1945)" using Ember. It set the genre to "Film-Noir". The "Film-Noir" icon appears on the screen as part of the fanart. Yet the "Film-Noir" checkbox in the "Edit Movie" dialog is not highlighted. Indeed, after manually checking "Film-Noir" it sets <genre>Film Noir</genre> in the .nfo file. At this point the movie is found when I set the filter to "Film Noir". The "Film-Noir" icon is also displayed, implying that the responsible code recognizes both "Film-Noir" and "Film Noir".

When both Ember and XBMC scrape Detour, they set the genre to "Film-Noir". I have both programs set to English. It seems their is a mismatch between the scraper behavior and the genre manipulation utilities.

I would nievely think that the genre metadata would be language neutral, except for the realization that people can create their own genres, but even then the genre label should be a key. Perhaps genre tags should have a translated label? I suppose that someone might want to map two different genre-tags to the same genre. This could occur if say, different scrapers had different ideas about how to spell a genre ("Film Noir" or "Film-Noir" or "Noir").

I tried using the Genre Editor, but it seems it's only purpose is to let you assign icons to genre tags. It is interesting to note that it lists "Film Noir" and not "Film-Noir" although it actually recognizes both, so "Film-Noir" must be hardcoded, even if not displayed.

I think that Ember should be consistent with XBMC and a bit more consistent with itself. A longer term solution would be to modify genre handling so that synonyms are recognized as well as better genre edit/replace/match tools were made available, but that sounds like a lot of work.

At this point I am not going to manually add a "Film Noir" genre to my .nfo files, since it will get wiped out if I rescrape the data, and since it will not fix it for new movies. I will accomplish the same thing by running grep on my .nfo files directly.
Ahh I see - Myself I didn't scrape any Film Noir movie, I just set the Film Noir genre in Edit Movie manually - so it gets saved as "Film Noir" (as organized in Gemre Editor). I suspect "Film-Noir" is the scraping result and I guess we don't look up for exisiting genre tags in Ember during scraping process which can lead to problems. You made good suggestions as it's annoying when during scraping process "new" genre names gets saved in nfo without them being part of the genre editor - I think I have to take a look in this. Thank you for your suggestions!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filtering by "Film Noir" returns nothing.0