Cable TV and encrypted channels
Hi all,

I've not followed the recent changes in live TV support in XBMC, so was wondering if the following setup would also work with XBMC.
Currently, I have a cable receiver (Germany) which has 2 CI+ Slots. One is used by my cable providers viewing card, the other is for Pay TV (Sky).
Would I be able, and how, to get this received on a Win or Linux box, and have the same content within XBMC?

Especially with the 2x Viewing cards required?

Thanks in advance,
derchris
What model is it (the box)?
Which box? The cable receiver?
TechniSat K1
Does it offer a web interface from which you can stream channels, e.g. with VLC? If so you could use the pvr.iptvsimple addon to integrate the streams with XBMC. On the other hand if the device can be flashed with custom firmware you could try Enigma2 based operating systems and use the Enigma2 PVR plugin for XBMC.
Why not get cable tuner cards with CI slots?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
That's the point of this thread. I would need to know if a backend does support it
(2013-09-27, 00:21)nickr Wrote: Why not get cable tuner cards with CI slots?

There are no CI+ cable tuner cards. Thanks to the content mafia...

edit: at least that was the case last time I had a look, maybe that changed in the meantime you never know but as far as I know you would enter a greyish area because CI+ isn't supposed to be decrypted by non "partner" solutions and those partners are not allowed to put tuner cards for the pc on the market.
I just noticed the + in CI+. Many DVB-C cards have a CI slot, but is CI+ something additional?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's basically CI v2.0 with more restrictions by the content providers. They can stop you from fast forwarding commercials or even not allow recording of certain shows at all. Luckily it's still not widely used (mainly European countries as far as I know) but thats what the future will look like if it's up to the tv providers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Interface#CI.2B
(2013-09-29, 00:00)nickr Wrote: I just noticed the + in CI+. Many DVB-C cards have a CI slot, but is CI+ something additional?

Yes, it's different. It's basically version 2 of the CI.

Like ursli said, there are no CI+-equipped tuners for PC. There are some capable unofficial STBs though, like the Miraclebox series.
What are we saying? with CI there is no problem but with CI+ the best way is to get something going on a box like enigma?
What about satellite TV?
CI+ is used on some satellite systems as well. If you need support for it, an STB is the only way to go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cable TV and encrypted channels0