I Highly Recommend Gotham Alpha9 for ATV2
I'm not a dev so take my opinion with a grain of salt and don't blame me if it doesn't work out for you.

With that said, it's really a gigantic performance boost over Frodo for me as far as video playback over a LAN is concerned. With Frodo playback (using NFS over gigabit Ethernet) would take at least 5 seconds or so to start (sometimes much longer). Now it usually starts in less than 1 second. And I have yet to have a video get choked up (a regular occurrence on Frodo).

My setup is very simple. I have a Mint Linux server that houses my shared MySQL video library as well as the video files themselves. On this server I keep XBMC with the Watchdog addon running. My ATV2 clients have no additional addons, and I don't use music or pictures.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm still on Eden as even the update to Frodo left my atv2 rather slow to use...
Memphiz said Gotham will support ATV firmware 4.2, I wonder if Alpha9 does?

But alphas are not highly recommended as a general statement, so I would expect others to possibly have varying results Smile
no - next nightly tomorrow will and the alpha after that will too (should be there around 1.11.2013)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
just updated to oct 25th latest build....ALPHA9 Git:20131024 about an hour ago...and can't get anything on navi x to work. It loads fast, everything appears but it reboots to atv home screen after a few seconds. But everything else is smooth and faster than frodo was.
(2013-10-25, 21:57)kucarachi Wrote: just updated to oct 25th latest build....ALPHA9 Git:20131024 about an hour ago...and can't get anything on navi x to work. It loads fast, everything appears but it reboots to atv home screen after a few seconds. But everything else is smooth and faster than frodo was.

we do not support piracy add-ons on our forum
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Just to reiterate: I do not use XBMC for anything other than watching h264 video files stored on my server.
I have to agree, starts video almost instant and pulling lists of videos are crazy fast.
Woha, just installed this, my xbmc\ atv does not crash anymore like it did with a8 and a7. Weird.

EDIT: Spoke too soon Sad crashed on me after running a library scan
HTPC Server - Windows 8.1 + XBMC Helix | Intel QuadCore, 4GB RAM, 4 TB SATA
Intel NUC D54250WYK - Windows 8.1 + XBMC Helix | Logitech Harmony 750
Samsung UE8005 | Bluetooth keyboard & mousepad
(2013-10-19, 04:18)htpcrelic Wrote: I'm not a dev so take my opinion with a grain of salt and don't blame me if it doesn't work out for you.

With that said, it's really a gigantic performance boost over Frodo for me as far as video playback over a LAN is concerned. With Frodo playback (using NFS over gigabit Ethernet) would take at least 5 seconds or so to start (sometimes much longer). Now it usually starts in less than 1 second. And I have yet to have a video get choked up (a regular occurrence on Frodo).

My setup is very simple. I have a Mint Linux server that houses my shared MySQL video library as well as the video files themselves. On this server I keep XBMC with the Watchdog addon running. My ATV2 clients have no additional addons, and I don't use music or pictures.

Hi htpcrelic,

How is your ATV2 performing now? Is Gotham stable i.e does it crash at all when navigating menus and playing movies?

I'm on Frodo and to be honest its pretty quick for me zipping around the menus and starting movies. I just get the odd random crash when navigating menus and playing movies. I'm struggling to reproduce the problem at the moment but its a bit of an enjoyment killer when it ATV2 reboots 3/4 through the movie and often doesn't remember where you got to in the movie so you have to spend a few mins zipping through the whole movie. Blush Smile

P.S. Not being critical....I think XBMC is fab and I couldn't live without it!!! Which has just reminded me to donate once I get paid.

Jus.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I Highly Recommend Gotham Alpha9 for ATV20