Raspberry Pi Crashes and Freezes
Hi,

I am using a Raspberry Pi for 2 weeks now with OpenELEC and XBMC 12.2 Frodo.
Very often when using some plugins or the yatse remote my xbmc freezes or restarts. I can not tell you a regular repetition rate, but its very often and I want to ask if this is normal with xbmc and if other users have same problems or solutions.

The problem occurs with and without overlocking the pi.

Best regards
It is normal if the power supply is not good.

First thing to do is test the power supply, if the voltage drops below 4.85V that MAY be the cause of your problems. If it drops below 4.75V then it IS the source of your problems.

And just to answer the most common response, no it doesnt matter that you bought the power supply from the same place as you got the Pi. That doesnt guarantee it is suitable.
First Thanks,

I reviewed the amazon evaluations of the power supply and they are very bad. Many people wrote that the rasperry pi often crashed when using the power supply.

Is there a good solution for a power supply which works known stable for the pi?
Yes, buy a proper power brick.

Don't know where you are, but I use and recommend the "Multinational Power 5V 2A" from NewIT. If you're in the US, find something similar (I can give you the brand/specs) or order from them. If you do, be prepared to pay a lot more for the postage than the actual item cost. Order a few to dilute the costs.

Before you do that, you could try powering your Pi from the TV. My LG TVs output 1.1A from the service USB. Way above USB spec.

I'm not affiliated with NewIT in any way. I just like to recommend good, professional people. Which they are.
Freezing is majority of the time the the psu. I have purchased from known places for the psu and gotten bad ones. I still am working on finding a place in us with legit psu like the one you posted. That is the one you want but needs to be the us version. Once you get a legit quality psu should solve your issues.
I live in germany. Shipping costs are very high for this power supply. Will have a look at amazon and other recommendations. Than i will confirm if its solved my problem.

Thanks
Find a few friends that want a Pi or, even better, a complete Pi setup (PI, SD, case, PS) and dilute the shipping costs.
That's the way to go. Not keep buying a few more power bricks that may or may not turn out OK.
BTW, I live a little south of you. Shipping costs aren't that high.
Dont expect too much from the RPi... yes a proper power supply is a must, but even with that you will experience crashes and freezing.

I have been working with them heavily and have come to the conclusion they are nice toys but inconsistent manufacturing makes them very frustrating to work with reliably. The exact same settings/code on two different Pi's will yield very different crash/freeze results.
http://www.netstoredirect.com/belkin-int...tAodDXoAcw

i use on of those with a y-cable for power supply, and also put my usb stick into the hub not the pi, end result, not a crash in weeks and running 1150 overclock without reboot problems
(2013-10-31, 17:58)apeg Wrote: Dont expect too much from the RPi... yes a proper power supply is a must, but even with that you will experience crashes and freezing.

I don't think that is a given. I have a decent power supply and a USB install, and I can't remember the last time my Pi crashed.
I would expect for many that xbmc runs for weeks on a Pi without a reboot.
(2013-10-31, 17:58)apeg Wrote: Dont expect too much from the RPi... yes a proper power supply is a must, but even with that you will experience crashes and freezing.

I have been working with them heavily and have come to the conclusion they are nice toys but inconsistent manufacturing makes them very frustrating to work with reliably. The exact same settings/code on two different Pi's will yield very different crash/freeze results.

I have 4 PI and the only time they reboot is when I tell them to. They are all 100% stable, a good power supply is critical.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
I have run/played with over a dozen Pi's now, keep in mind my use is more streaming and less local network but all ive seen is a world of inconstancy.

Rasp, open, self compile, USB offload... you name it ive run it with lacklustre results. Still a good deal for $35 bucks, just setting expectations

(2013-10-31, 18:30)Dilligaf Wrote: I have 4 PI and the only time they reboot is when I tell them to. They are all 100% stable, a good power supply is critical.
(2013-10-31, 18:25)popcornmix Wrote:

I don't think that is a given. I have a decent power supply and a USB install, and I can't remember the last time my Pi crashed.
I would expect for many that xbmc runs for weeks on a Pi without a reboot.

Same here and I own quite a few.

From the first batch(es) (256M) to the latest (1323 1 1/2 weeks old in my hands), they all run fine, made in UK and China. I prefer UK Wink

Only reason I power off is to manually update OE.
And I've set up half a dozen for friends and family, they all run 24/7 for months. They simply DO NOT crash. I would know if they did because of RaspBMC's 'power off' notification.

Of course, after my experience early on, I make 300% sure the power supply is rock solid.

YMMV, but if every Pi is a problem for you, there is one common factor.
in the interest of not hijacking this thread, im interested in how you guys are getting such stability:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177040

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi Crashes and Freezes0