Pass Tthrough Audio in Use in Live TV
I am on Windows 7. I have an Intel system board with Intel audio hardware onboard.

I followed the wiki for setting up audio in Windows 7. I have the Intel audio driver. My audio output is HDMI and I have the Intel driver selected along with all of the other properties suggested in the wiki. The only thing I could not set the same was the sample rate. I think the wiki suggests to set it higher. Mine only goes to 48k.

Hopefully I did not miss anything in my property settings.

My PVR is the new WMC add on.

When I am viewing live TV I cannot adjust the volume with my android remote. The message "Pass through audio in use" is displayed on the screen.

When I view an mp4, I can adjust the volume just fine and all of the additional audio controls are enabled in the popup audio menu on the video.

I am NOT seeing audio under System/Settings.

Why can't I control audio on live tv? Is this a PVR issue?

Why can't I see the audio menu under system/settings? Wiki says something about pass through needs to be enabled or something like that. Am I missing something in my setup?
If the audio is just going to a TV and you don't need surround sound set xbmc to output the audio in 2ch analog. In regards to not seeing a audio menu, which build of xbmc are you running?
(2013-11-04, 03:36)teeedubb Wrote: If the audio is just going to a TV and you don't need surround sound set xbmc to output the audio in 2ch analog.

How do you do this? Why can't I have surround sound in live tv? Not that I am actually setup to use it anyway.

(2013-11-04, 03:36)teeedubb Wrote: In regards to not seeing a audio menu, which build of xbmc are you running?

Thae latest. Frodo.
Your Xbmc is set to pass through audio - it doesn't decode it, hence why you can't change the volume. You will be able to change the volume on the TV because that's what is decoding the audio. Same would happen if you played a mp4 with ac3 etc audio. Having xbmc decode the audio will allow you to change the volume via xbmc.

From memory you go to Settings > system > audio to change the settings.
(2013-11-04, 02:46)spinnaker Wrote: When I am viewing live TV I cannot adjust the volume with my android remote. The message "Pass through audio in use" is displayed on the screen.

The audio contained in the broadcast could be a passthrough format like Dolby Digital, XBMC can't control the volume of passthrough formats as the audio remains untouched by XBMC so it gets decoded by the device it's connected to such as AVR or TV, therefore the volume must be controlled on the device doing the decoding.

You can get XBMC to control volume by changing the configuration so XBMC decodes the audio, do this by setting "Audio output" to "Analog".

(2013-11-04, 02:46)spinnaker Wrote: When I view an mp4, I can adjust the volume just fine and all of the additional audio controls are enabled in the popup audio menu on the video.

The mp4 will likely contain a format such as AAC which is a non-passthrough format, therefore XBMC can adjust the volume in this case as it is doing the decoding.

(2013-11-04, 02:46)spinnaker Wrote: I am NOT seeing audio under System/Settings.

Under "Audio output" see AudioEngine/HOW-TO:_Configure_audio#Audio_Output_GUI (wiki)
(2013-11-04, 14:37)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-11-04, 02:46)spinnaker Wrote: When I am viewing live TV I cannot adjust the volume with my android remote. The message "Pass through audio in use" is displayed on the screen.

The audio contained in the broadcast could be a passthrough format like Dolby Digital, XBMC can't control the volume of passthrough formats as the audio remains untouched by XBMC so it gets decoded by the device it's connected to such as AVR or TV, therefore the volume must be controlled on the device doing the decoding.

You can get XBMC to control volume by changing the configuration so XBMC decodes the audio, do this by setting "Audio output" to "Analog".

(2013-11-04, 02:46)spinnaker Wrote: When I view an mp4, I can adjust the volume just fine and all of the additional audio controls are enabled in the popup audio menu on the video.

The mp4 will likely contain a format such as AAC which is a non-passthrough format, therefore XBMC can adjust the volume in this case as it is doing the decoding.

(2013-11-04, 02:46)spinnaker Wrote: I am NOT seeing audio under System/Settings.

Under "Audio output" see AudioEngine/HOW-TO:_Configure_audio#Audio_Output_GUI (wiki)

Thanks for the explanations.

Thanks for the link. But I do not see in there whay I am not seeing the Audio menu option (maybe I am just missing it). As I explained in my first post, I followed the wiki for Windows 7 setup and I am fairly certain I have everything correct as far as the OS settings go.

Any idea why the Audio option would not be there?
Are you using the default Confluence skin?

When you select Settings then System what do you see? can you post a screenshot?
Sorry chalk it up to brain freeze of being a stupid newbie but I was looking in the wrong place. I finally found the Audio Output option.

I tried that setting and it did not work. But what I did do is to try the audio setting on the live tv screen. Set it to analog and that did it. Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pass Tthrough Audio in Use in Live TV0