Can't copy advancedsettings.xml to raspbmc
I just received my Raspberry Pi in the mail yesterday and loaded it with version 12.2 of Frodo. The program loads up fine but I'm having trouble figuring out how to load the advancedsettings.xml from my PC based builds to it so that progress and libraries are all synchronized. I have searched around for a few hours and everyone seems to have no problem getting access to the file system (either via ftp or ssh). I have tried both and not been able to find the file structure in place. I have been looking for the /home/pi folder. I can go into home and see that pi is in there by typing ls but I can't seem to get in there. I tried copying the xml file in there and the syntax was wrong. (scp /advancedsettings.xml pi@raspbmc/home/pi)

Can anyone lend a hand?
I'm confused. What happens when you type "cd /home/pi"
(2013-11-08, 00:37)gahenna Wrote: I just received my Raspberry Pi in the mail yesterday and loaded it with version 12.2 of Frodo. The program loads up fine but I'm having trouble figuring out how to load the advancedsettings.xml from my PC based builds to it so that progress and libraries are all synchronized. I have searched around for a few hours and everyone seems to have no problem getting access to the file system (either via ftp or ssh). I have tried both and not been able to find the file structure in place. I have been looking for the /home/pi folder. I can go into home and see that pi is in there by typing ls but I can't seem to get in there. I tried copying the xml file in there and the syntax was wrong. (scp /advancedsettings.xml pi@raspbmc/home/pi)

Can anyone lend a hand?

So you are trying to say ftp into your shing new pi?

Which pi build have you gone for?

Have no doubt with further info all will reveal itself
(2013-11-08, 01:40)awp0 Wrote: I'm confused. What happens when you type "cd /home/pi"

pi@raspbmc:~$ cd /home/pi
pi@raspbmc:~$ ls

Looks like nothing. From another forum I heard that there should be a folder ".xbmc" in there. I see nothing. (see link here http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=4521)

(2013-11-08, 02:31)steeb Wrote: So you are trying to say ftp into your shing new pi?

Which pi build have you gone for?

Have no doubt with further info all will reveal itself
I ftp'ed in this morning which gives me a clear view of any existing file structure. As noted above, there is nothing in the pi folder and it kicked back when I tried to create a ".xbmc" folder. I downloaded the current stable release of Raspbmc with the windows installer from XMBC.org.

What is the file structure I should be seeing?
Folders and files starting with "." are hidden. You have to use a software that supports this (and perhaps you need to change settings to be able to see hidden files).
Personally I use Cyberduck and SFTP (SSH).

Edit: If you SSH in, use ls -a to see hidden files and folders.
just your root password ( admin) or put it in ssh comado, winscp wil work now with hidden.folders or use ssh what you want to adjust
Thank you all. I was able to get the advanced settings file copied over and rebooted.

Unfortunately, I'm having issues with the network settings. I have had the unit wired up to the network and using a wifi remote app on my phone to control XBMC. It will only connect when I utilize the wired connection. I set up the wifi in the Raspbmc settings as well as the Network Manager add-on program. When I tried to add my video directories it will read the workgroup, then the PCs on the network but times out when I try to go further. I have the Asus USB-N10 wireless adapter and set it up with the instructions from this website (http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-p...h-raspbmc/) with the exeption of the Raspbmc settings. I don't know how to have wifi without that but it doesn't work when I set it to Wired. Not sure if I have a conflict somewhere. Not sure how to disable the networking from the Raspbmc settings menu.

I know it is a new problem but I'm this close to having a working system.
Do you know if it's actually connected to your wifi network? Sounds like it's connected, since you can see the PC's on the network. But are you saying that the phone remote control app cannot connect when the Pi is configured via wifi? That doesn't sound right. Did you try configuring wifi through the Raspbmc settings add-on before installing Network Manager?
If you have access to the wired network why would you use wireless?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Set up wireless via Raspbmc Settings, rather than Network Manager addon
Ok. I'm back. New puppy so I've had very little time to work on the system. I plugged in a usb keyboard and was able to get the wifi working. Turns out it was working the whole time but I didn't notice it for 2 reasons. 1) The IP address changed when I went on wifi and the wifi keyboard was configured for the wired address (newbie mistake). 2) The network folders, which are visible when wired, are not seen when wireless. I have not been able to configure a video folder share because of permission issues with my Win7 box. (I set the permissions to Everyone and can't figure out why the blank user/pass don't work when prompting) When I am on the System settings tab I can see that I'm connected and I can verify that by logging into my router. It is as if I'm connected but being blocked from network content by filtering rules that I can't find.
Can you clarify which 'network folders' you are talking about - those on the Win7 box?
There's a good chance that the wifi part of the network is being treated as a public network by Win7, and thus not allowed to access the more private (wired part) folders/files.
Alternatively, perhaps there is a block in the router.
There is a solution, as I have both way visibility between my Win7 box and the other machines on my network (various OS, and both wireless and wifi).
I home the Win7 box isn't on a Homegroup - as that really gives trouble (even other Windows versions can have trouble)
Derek
I don't know if this is your problem, because I would expect it to prevent both wired and wireless, but by default Windows 7 has a setting enabled called "Password protected sharing", which requires that people use a password to access any shares, even those shared with "Everyone". I think you can change this in: Network and Sharing Center -> Change advanced sharing settings -> turn off password protected sharing. Worth a check.
I have a hard drive that is shared on my windows 7 box. I have it shared with full permissions with Everyone. My network is set up as home so I don't have the public restrictions. Password protected sharing has been turned off previously. I do have win 7 in a homegroup but was able to get sharing to work with an old XP box.

What block could be in the router that doesn't allow file sharing?
At the router level, you may have a setting called AP Isolation which would result in wireless devices not seeing any other devices on the network. You would have had to enable that, as by default I think it's turned off. It's generally intended for situations like house guests, hotels and coffee shops. Where people want internet, but do not need to connect to other devices.

Assuming it's not that, if it were me then I would try these:
1) temporarily turn off any firewall software you have (starting with Windows Firewall)
1) delete your wifi profile on the win7 box and then recreate it, making sure that newly created wifi network connection is configured as a "home" network
2) take the Win7 machine out of the homegroup
3) try restricting the share to a local account that has a username/password and then enter that into XBMC

All of my media is shared in a few Windows 7 shares and the only problem I had setting up my media sources in Openelec was due to the setting I described further up (password protected sharing). However all of my devices are wired, not wifi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't copy advancedsettings.xml to raspbmc0