Blu Ray 3D mkv support in xbmc??
Hey guys,
Been searching all over for confirmation on whether or not xbmc Eden supports blu ray 3d rips? It seems like standard blu ray folders like ISO will not work but what about mkv files?

I use DVD fab to convert my 3D Blu-ray Discs to whatever format such as mkv
, would this work?

I know some threads pointed to using external players along with xbmc but that seems awfully cumbersome.

Thanks for your help!

B
SBS or OU rips will work, but not MVC 3D. It will play as 2D only.
(2013-11-08, 06:42)baijuxavior Wrote: SBS or OU rips will work, but not MVC 3D. It will play as 2D only.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for my lack of knowledge here but are sbs and ou rips disc specific(blu ray studio chooses the format) or are these ripping settings I can dictate in DVD Fab?
Side by Side and Over-Under are formats used for ripping 3d blu-ray disks. These formats are widely used in illegal torrent sharing. You can play these files in any player and the 3d conversion is done by the TV. In TV 3d menu you have to select 3d type as SBS or OU. Please check DVD Fab settings to see if it supports SBS/OU conversion.
(2013-11-08, 07:15)baijuxavior Wrote: Side by Side and Over-Under are formats used for ripping 3d blu-ray disks. These formats are widely used in illegal torrent sharing. You can play these files in any player and the 3d conversion is done by the TV. In TV 3d menu you have to select 3d type as SBS or OU. Please check DVD Fab settings to see if it supports SBS/OU conversion.

Makes sense, thanks. DVD fab does support these options. It sounds as if ripping from blu ray to sbs etc reduces resolution thoughSad. I may just sit tight until hopefully xbmc supports 4d blu ray files natively.
With SBS or TAB you get two half resolution images to form a full resolution image. With frame packed MVC you get two full resolution images that form a double resolution 3d image that is comparable to the bluray 3d. But you can probably only view the difference on a 4k TV. You might want to test with a short clip to see if you can actually tell any difference.

I'm not a big 3d fan. Having to wear two pairs of glasses is a bother, but I have played around with them some. And I can't really tell much difference between SBS rips and the original BD.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-11-08, 16:35)bigbwb Wrote:
(2013-11-08, 07:15)baijuxavior Wrote: Side by Side and Over-Under are formats used for ripping 3d blu-ray disks. These formats are widely used in illegal torrent sharing. You can play these files in any player and the 3d conversion is done by the TV. In TV 3d menu you have to select 3d type as SBS or OU. Please check DVD Fab settings to see if it supports SBS/OU conversion.

Makes sense, thanks. DVD fab does support these options. It sounds as if ripping from blu ray to sbs etc reduces resolution thoughSad. I may just sit tight until hopefully xbmc supports 4d blu ray files natively.

you'll be waiting some time indeed. In fact by the time mvc support is in ffmpeg and then xbmc the fad for 3d may hopefully be over.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks guys I will do some experimenting when I have the time. I don't foresee spending too much time and money on this considering 3D might just fail all togetherSmile
Does XBMC 13 support full sbs or just half sbs? My boys like 3D, and I don't hate it. I've seen ways to rip to full sbs. Right now I have to pop Wreck-it Ralph in the Playstation 3 for the boys.
I think just half. Think of it this way:

Your TV is running at 1920x1080

Your XBMC machine knows that and outputs at 1920x1080

Even if your machine can decode a full SBS 3840x1080 frame, it is going to scale it to 1920x1080 to play it on your 1920x1080 telly anyway, defeating the purpose of getting a full sbs frame size in the first place.

At least thats the way I understand it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
XBMC supports both formats half and full OU/SBS but displays full downscaled to half.
If you have a 4K TV you can view the movie at full resolution, but the difference is very hard to see IMHO. I have played around with half SBS clips comparing them to the original BD and I really can't be sure if there is a difference or if my mind is playing tricks.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Ok, I thought that full sbs was combined by the PC into full 3d to be displayed as 1920x1080 3d on the TV. I guess I'm thinking of frame packed.
hello

i look all over for a 3D solution to XBMC my elected player, but has far has the eye can see, i only ended unistalling everything, and install powerdvd 13, found no solution to play 3D on XBMC

i post a thread asking for help, but no one responds, unfortunately, with no answers, and reading 2 days in a row, things from XBMC i don´t see anyone talk about 3D in XBMC, in powerdvd, since i press play, the tv turns itself to 3D mode, and imagine, superman was in the middle of my living room, was a tremendous experience that i have to repeat, only 1 problem, it delays audio, but if you adjust it´s fine

i use a panasonic L42FT60, i tried both SBS and H-SBS files, both work in powerdvd like a true theatre, in XMBC nothing, but if someone knows about something, an update, an app, i will be glad to go back to my dear XBMC.

R.I.P. for now.

my thread stats
[Windows] XBMC 3D? IMDB Add On?
answers 0 views 53
(2013-11-12, 06:42)Al_Jourgensen Wrote: hello

i look all over for a 3D solution to XBMC my elected player, but has far has the eye can see, i only ended unistalling everything, and install powerdvd 13, found no solution to play 3D on XBMC

i post a thread asking for help, but no one responds, unfortunately, with no answers, and reading 2 days in a row, things from XBMC i don´t see anyone talk about 3D in XBMC, in powerdvd, since i press play, the tv turns itself to 3D mode, and imagine, superman was in the middle of my living room, was a tremendous experience that i have to repeat, only 1 problem, it delays audio, but if you adjust it´s fine

i use a panasonic L42FT60, i tried both SBS and H-SBS files, both work in powerdvd like a true theatre, in XMBC nothing, but if someone knows about something, an update, an app, i will be glad to go back to my dear XBMC.

R.I.P. for now.

my thread stats
[Windows] XBMC 3D? IMDB Add On?
answers 0 views 53
For the love of god man. You posted at 8.03 this morning http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177777 and you are pissed that you don't have a reply by 5.42 pm (yes the times will be different in your timezone, but the same amount of time has elapsed - something like 9 hours.)

Did you pay for 24 hour support? No I didn't think so. No one is entitled to support here, the forum is manned by volunteers. Did you actually try playing a file. HSBS mkv files work right now in any version of xbmc. Yes you might need to switch modes on your TV, but that is a couple of button presses.

So what have you tried and what were your results.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu Ray 3D mkv support in xbmc??0