XBMC for old people on TV too complicated
I guess everybody else on this forum must be under 30. As someone more mature, I object to the stereotyping of "old people" as being computer idiots. I made my living in the IT field before retirement, and trust me... being computer savvy has nothing to do with age! I am sought out daily to show my kids, grandkids, and their friends how to get the most out of their electronic devices.

Old People = some are tech savvy, some aren't.
Young People = some are tech savvy, some aren't.

Sorry for the rant, but every time I see the title of this thread, my blood pressure soars. Agism should be just as unacceptable as bigotry based on race, gender, religion, or national origin.
I know it wasn't pointed at me, but I agree with you. In a way I see the opposite development happening. Some of those that has experienced technology when it was userunfriendly is more used to it never really working and definitly being a pain to operate and often in need of an expert. The younger generations of tech stuff is on the other hand almost too easy to operate. A thumb is all you need.

So where is Kodi in all this? Configurable by experts only? Useable by experts?
(2015-10-26, 21:46)pagali Wrote: I guess everybody else on this forum must be under 30.
Don't take the post of a few people in one thread as the make-up of the whole forum. There are a lot more of us oldies round here than you think.

By assuming that this person was talking for all 246,473 members of this forum is making the same assumption you are accusing them of.

The OP just needed to reword the title for "XBMC for my gran on TV too complicated" as this is clearly a specific request. Just goes to show how darn tweakable KODI is if it can be adjusted to a non-technical personal.

Torben Wrote:So where is Kodi in all this? Configurable by experts only? Useable by experts?
IMHO the answer is "both". You can get KODI going out of the box pretty easily. You only have to look at some of the daft questions that get asked on this forum Big Grin What gets complex is when the experts start adjusting it for custom uses. There is a whole scale in KODI from simple to expert.
I think what it boils down to is unrealistic user expectations, and people not taking the time to educate themselves about Kodi.

Unfortunately, too many people have been mislead into thinking that Kodi is a "free TV / Movie service" and expect some kind of Roku like out of the box experience. Just plug it in (and / or install it) and all the movies you want are at your finger tips.

When they come to find out that their preconceived notions as to what Kodi is all about turn out not to be the case, they become frustrated over the level of input required to arrive at their desired outcome. They then blame the the software for being "too complex" rather than admit they didn't do their homework before hand.

Is Kodi too complex? For someone looking for a quick and easy way of watching free TV and movies...maybe. Too complex for someone (regardless of age or technical ability) who has taken the time to educate themselves about what Kodi is and can do...probably not.
Kodi can be complex if you want to use all of its capabilities. Because there are so many capabilities, menus will become nearly impenetrable in the end. Mind you, how many settings can be specified via the advancedsettings.xml file that are not even handled by Kodi's GUI screens. A user friendly setup can only go so far if you want to connect to an audio/video receiver, or want to tweak your video settings for specific video types or formats.

I guess you could split the front end menu more from the back end settings. Kodi already has pretty good default settings, but there are so many people with so many wishes. Once all settings are set, a welcome screen and the subsequent selection of movies, tv shows or music can be simplified for those who need it.

A good example for the front end IMO is the carPC skin ( http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=225688 ) , which has a small screen and therefore needs a simpler & less complicated. Also because of the clumsier way fingers work on a small screen (smartphone or small car pc touchscreen).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for old people on TV too complicated0