HD spin down during video/MP3 playback of network
(gamester17 @ mar. 04 2004,13:40 Wrote:
([assma Wrote:@ mar. 03 2004,22:40)]the new spindown in the latest cvs cant be good for the hd. when i play mp3s, it spins up and down all the time (when changing song).. Image
yeah i just noticed that too, immediate spindown is great for movies but not for music
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
iv fixed that with removing

Quote:    if ( !cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) )
{
     // no, then spindown should b possible
m_bspindown=true;
     m_dwspindowntime=0;
}
from application.cpp...

with this you will only have the spindown after the time you specify in settings/general.
(ktd @ mar. 19 2004,20:06 Wrote:iv fixed that with removing

Quote: if ( !cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) )
{
// no, then spindown should b possible
m_bspindown=true;
m_dwspindowntime=0;
}
from application.cpp...

with this you will only have the spindown after the time you specify in settings/general.
hm interesting, think i'll try it with && cutil::isvideo(m_strcurrentfile) that way it should do a spindown with video but not with music
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
let me know. video spindown havent work in a while so if it helps it would be great!

what does && mean and what does ! mean? im not a programer...
ok, the main problem is resetscreensaver() resetting the spindowntime. when playing a file from a networkconnection the spindowntime is set to 0 which should activate the spindown but the resetscreensaver kicks in first and resets that value.
so first step is removing the line
Quote:m_dwspindowntime=timegettime();
from capplication::resetscreensaver(). as far as i can tell it is of no use anyway 'cause the same thing is being done by spinhd() (which is where it should be).

the second thing i did was changing, in capplication::playfile, the line
Quote:if ( !cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) )
into
Quote:if ( !cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) && cutil::isvideo(m_strcurrentfile) )
this only (immediately) spins down the harddisk when playing a video, not when playing music (so it doesn't do constant spinup/spindown with each song). don't know what happens with shoutcaststreams yet after changing this...
the harddisk will offcourse still spin down after the spindown time setting when playing music.

it doesn't seem to work the same way with dvd's, maybe it thinks it's on the harddisk or that dvd's aren't video? have to look at that some other time.
have you tested this yet?

it sounds like the way i want it...
i have tested it yes. found a better solution that is (besides removing the line in resetscreensaver) replacing
with
Quote:if ( !cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) && (m_pplayer->gettotaltime() > g_stsettings.m_ihdspindowntime*60) )
instead of the line in my previous post. this will spindown the harddisk when playing a file with duration greater than your spindown setting. so if your spindown setting is 20 minutes it also will spindown the harddisk when playing a "song" that has 25 minutes duration but won't spindown on anything less then 20 minutes.
it also works with dvd's.
still don't know what happens with shoutcast 'cause i can't get shoutcast to work with these changes or with the original cvs code.
(charly @ mar. 20 2004,00:22 Wrote:i have tested it yes. found a better solution that is (besides removing the line in resetscreensaver) replacing
with
Quote:if ( !cutil::ishd(m_strcurrentfile) && (m_pplayer->gettotaltime() > g_stsettings.m_ihdspindowntime*60) )
instead of the line in my previous post. this will spindown the harddisk when playing a file with duration greater than your spindown setting. so if your spindown setting is 20 minutes it also will spindown the harddisk when playing a "song" that has 25 minutes duration but won't spindown on anything less then 20 minutes.
it also works with dvd's.
still don't know what happens with shoutcast 'cause i can't get shoutcast to work with these changes or with the original cvs code.
cool, to see you working on this, even if it doesn't work with shoutcast so far. one of the biggest issues i have with the xbox, is the amount of noise the internal hd makes. and for a lot of users that will be a problem, not everyone runs out to replace the hd, even though i'd like nothing less.
just submitted a patch to sourceforge, hope some teammember will give it a try Smile
how do i apply the .patch file to my cvs files?
(ktd @ mar. 21 2004,01:58 Wrote:how do i apply the .patch file to my cvs files?
download patch for windows, in the bin folder there's a patch.exe. open a commandprompt and run
patch -d e:\xbmc\xbmc\xbmc -u -i e:\xbmc\xbmc\autospindown.patch
where e:\xbmc\xbmc\xbmc is your path to application.cpp

for more info on patch see
http://www.gnu.org/softwar....20patch

i also just uploaded the complete changed sourcefiles to sourceforge so you can try those instead if you don't want to use the patchfile.
thanks charly. all i saw when i searched for .patch was linux stuff...

will give this a try later tonight. but the way you described it is sounds great!!!
spin down is something a lot of people will benefit from, whenever. there's room for lots of tuning, the xbox hd being as noisy as it is.

thank you charly.
uploaded a new version of the patch, found 2 bugs in the first patch where the osd didn't timeout anymore and the osd wasn't visible in calibration when not playing a movie.
looks like they put it into cvs now cus its gone from sf patch link...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD spin down during video/MP3 playback of network0