Icon Overlays brainstorming
hi all,

i've just added what we have now as a sampler of what we can do. we still have to decide of multiple overlays is something we want to take into account, and also a list of overlays that we can have. regarding the above choices:

watched/unwatched flag - i think implementing this via a number of times watched would be better, but that's just me.

ratings - this would be kinda cool (different number of stars or something)

resumability - sure, that could be useful.

item is queued - don't really see the point of this one, just look in the playlist. remember that these are over a thumb, so they don't apply to music too well (as you generally browse songs in file mode where there is no thumb)

default folder - i don't see the usefulness of this really.

regarding all the above:

1. we need icons.

2. most of them will work best at being mostly transparent with just a bit of detail in one corner, which means a lot of memory used for nothing with the current system (it overlays the entire icon). a more efficient system would be to overlay only the corner of the icon, but which one?

3. would we want multiple icons?

4. would we want multiple overlay positions on the thumb?

5. how should this work with list views, where we don't have a large enough thumb?

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i think that all special folders (folders which are different from others) needs a indication. like default and locked folders. this folders have also special items in context menu. thats why i think they need special attention.

beside that i think zip and rar files do not need a special overlay (they have allready a special extention). files need a special thumbs.

point 4: xbmc supports zip and rar overlays allready (lol), so there can be make adifferent in possistion for folders or files.
example: folder right on top, files left at the bottom.

point 5: in listview overlays could be the same. a little mark on a folder could get the users attention. the listicon/listthumb function or listview gives the user explaination.

sollie.

i like this new feature. thanks jm.

i was going to make the whole icon go bluish if it was qued so you could see it in list mode...just handy for me to know what ones are qued without pressing black.

but its a nice feature. maybe movie is stacked is a good one as well Smile
sollie, the rar zip overlays will make sense in a bit. the current cvs implementation does not i agree. it's supposed to be overlayed for stuff inside archives, not for zip/rar files (which it does in my local tree).
could we make one for music (or perhaps pics/videos as well) that highlights an image if the file and/or directory is/contains the currently playing file.
for instance if /media/music/full albums/album12345/song12345.mp3
would highlight the .mp3, the album12345 directory (or album db entry), the full albums directory (or 'albums' db view) and music etc.
would make finding the current playing directory handy

just a thought
(jmarshall @ feb. 25 2006,22:53 Wrote:2. most of them will work best at being mostly transparent with just a bit of detail in one corner, which means a lot of memory used for nothing with the current system (it overlays the entire icon). a more efficient system would be to overlay only the corner of the icon, but which one?
i agree and totally like the overlay idea,.. i also like to keep the memory usage to a minimum, i suggest to put those neat little overlayers in the bottom-right .. normal thumbs are 128x128, so i guess 50x50 is more than enough. (not sure how much mem this will save though)
my current thoughts are either 64x64 or 32x32 for thumbs, positioned bottom right, and perhaps scaled as needed (not too much, as we don't need it that big for large thumbs).

does anyone have any thoughts on list views?

one idea is to use a separate icon on the right of the list. any other ideas would be handy to have.

cheers,
jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

regarding list view... i say just replace the small thumb with the overlay icon for those items which have an icon. the very small thumb is pretty useless as there's no detail. it just adds a splash of color. (this is of course provided that the listview size would allow a clearly visible overlay icon.)

regarding multiple icons... my thought is that multiple icons would become distracting. i think it would be best to limit each item to one possible overlay. this means there needs to be some preference schema to determine what icon to display. lets use video as an example. there are a few overly options: queued, unwatched, resumable, archived.

if the item is already in the queue, show it as queued. who cares about the whether or not its resumable as already queued to play. unwatched and resumable are mutually exclusive so there's no real problem betweem those two. archived is somewhat useless unless you're in the playlist window. if you're in files view, you already know that the item is in an archive file since you had to open it to display it in the list.
krahq;

reason for the archived overlay should become clear if you try the new 'unroll single file archives support'.
ah. so, does this show the contents of a "single-part archive" or the contents of any archive "containing a single file" in the same folder where the archive, itself, resides ?
exactly. so if you have a movie compressed in .rar's it will show u the avi, u don't have to do the browse rar step. hence it is of interest to indicate that the movie is inside an archive...

edit: and to explicitly answer your question; single-filed archives (one avi file inside). number of volumes is irrelevant (can be lots of .r00 .r01 / part01, part02 etc).

cool. all those people who keep rar'ed dvd .img files will be happy.
i have a question. is it possible to show the overlay icon for trainers disabled, when kai is enabled.

and i like to see overlay icons in listthumb or listicon.

thanks for your great job, i like it.

sollie.
while this could be done (kai enabled, force all overlays to disabled) i think it's better to have a single indicator that kai is enabled, and when the game is run to prompt the user:

launch with trainer.
launch with xlink kai.

takes care of it imo in a better way - your views?

and yes, we're currently thinking about how to do overlays in the list - the trouble as you know is the lack of space - perhaps you have an idea?

my view; now why didn't i think of that? :d

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Icon Overlays brainstorming0