Seagate Central - not connecting thru SMB
Hi
Been trying to connect my new Seagate Central Drive using smb://10.0.0.7/public but xbmc keeps throwing ''Operation not permitted".

Before this I had a WD Mybooklive drive which used to work just fine using smb share. Just don't understand what setting to ensure in the 'Seagate Central' Drive to get xbmc to work.

The drive is accessible by both my Windows Laptop and Macbook Air easily. Just does not show up on xbmc.

The Seagate is connected via a LAN cable in a Netgear Wireless Router and XBMC is on the Pivos Xios Media Player also connected via LAN Cable to the same Netgear Router.

Please help
For my seagate drive I just click add network location and type the ip address: 196.xxx.x.xxx.
Am trying to do that as well but just keep getting error 'Operation not permitted'
Did you try nfs which might work better with linux
Welcome to the club!

I have tried several methods with my Seagate Central 4T and all get the same result as you. "Operation not permitted"
I've edited the samba config files on the drive (there are 6 config files in /etc/samba and also /usr/private/user_smb_conf/.overall_share and /etc/nas_shares.conf
Samba version is 3.5.16 Linux version is MontaVista Linux 6
I've tried private shares, editing the XBMC source.xml and the password.xml files, but still with no success

The only solution is to mount the drive in the underlying OS.
You can then browse to the folder as a local source.
This worked for my Android box and my Linux HTPC using cifs
For the Android box, you can download the" CIFS Manager" app from the google store, to mount the drive..or you could install a SSHD app and ssh to the box, and mount it using command-line.

if you want to keep trying...you can also ssh to the Seagate drive...login: root , no password.
But any changes alway revert back after a reboot. Just like if you disable the Remote access app...it always reloads on boot.

DNLA works...but it lagged on high bitrate movies and music for me.
I do not think NFS is supported (the "exportfs" binary is missing) on the drive, but FTP (vsftpd) is there.
You can load the drive in XBMC using FTP, but video lags and audio drops out. (I use the Prometheus Bluray for testing over a 1Gbps wired network)
Next I will try increasing the cache according to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ideo_cache

Jmhthefirst: which model and firmware is your drive?

This thread seems related https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9746
If I can just figure out how to upgrade or downgrade the samba version (there is no apt-get, or yum type app) for MontaVista Linux 6, I'll do it.
If anyone has one of these Seagate Central NAS drives working in XBMC using SMB, what firmware are you using?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seagate Central - not connecting thru SMB0