• 1(current)
WIP Neon (Gotham edition) - help needed !
Call to arms - let's get Neon on Gotham

Today I have worked a bit on fixing issues and adding required features to get Neon into the Gotham realm.
As I have extremely little time at the moment I am requesting help from interested members of the community.

How does this work?

Below you will find a list of all the changes in Gotham's skinning engine.
The idea is that every item in that list needs to be checked to see whether it is required to be changed or added in Gotham.
On top of that, the skin needs to be checked for obvious bugs like non-working buttons or misaligned items.

How to help:
  • [1] Fork my repo at https://github.com/kibje/skin.neon into the userdata folder of a development installation of XBMC
    [2] Look at the changes you want to see implemented (new buttons that need to go in etc) from the thread that have not been implemented yet.
    [3] Make sure when testing changes to restart XBMC after you made the changes. Make sure XBMC is running at 720p resolution. (On windows you can use Sizer to force the window at a certain size, but take note sizer resizes the outside of the window, not the inside.
    Using sizer with a profile of 1296x758 works for me to make the inside exactly 720p - take a screenshot within XBMC to verify this! )
    [4] When you finished one of the items referenced below and have tested that they work ok, commit all changes for that one item and refer to them in a similar way as I did. You are more than welcome to fix misalignment issues as well.
    [5] Pull request your changes to my repo and do not forget to post in this thread.

List of changes in Gotham:
The list is taken from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158812 and last updated on 2014-mrt-12 (last post was this one)
  • New control positioning method done
  • Containers
  • DialogPVRChannelsOSD.xml
  • DialogSelect.xml
  • DialogSubtitles.xml done
  • DialogOK.xml done (karandras)
  • DialogYesNo.xml done (karandras)
  • MyVideoNav.xml https://github.com/kibje/skin.neon/commi...f8c43]done
  • SettingsCategory.xml done
  • SettingsProfile.xml
  • SmartPlaylistEditor.xml
  • Context menu
  • Label control
  • Label parsing
  • Button & Edit control
  • Radiobutton control
  • Textbox control
  • EPGGrid control
  • Textures
  • New Infolabels
  • Changed infolabels
  • Removed Infolabels not needed
  • New info bools
  • New built-in functions
  • New window done
  • xbmc.gui version bump done
  • use of correct XML headers done

Skin debugging

While working on the skin be sure to add the following to the keymap of your development machine:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<keymap>
    <global>
        <keyboard>
            <F5>XBMC.ReloadSkin()</F5>
            <F6>Skin.ToggleSetting(DebugGrid)</F6>
            <F7>Skin.ToggleSetting(HideDebugInfo)</F7>
            <F8>Notification(Testing 123,Hello world)</F8>
        </keyboard>
    </global>
</keymap>

You can then use the F6 and F7 keys to enable debug information for skinning, as well as use F5 to reload the skin and F8 to preview the toast notification popup.
Useful!

F6:
Just added subtitle support as well. Needs a lot cleaning up, but at least it is functional.
see http://i.imgur.com/I3s3ijM.png
Noticed a modification Kagenoshin did to the Slim List viewtype that was 98% spot on and finished it both for Frodo and Gotham.

Thanks for your work on neon Kib.

i've forked your gotham repo and am slowly trying to get my head around doing anything useful to try and help, but it's slow going at the moment.

As and when i get some progress i'll post back here, but i don't have a lot of free time myself, so please don't expect too much.
So glad Neon is coming to Gotham. I've been using ACE recently but it's been kinda miserable. is there any place I can donate funds?
I don't take personal donations, but you are always welcome to donate to the XBMC foundation which contributes to the project as a whole.
(2014-02-09, 20:59)karandras24 Wrote: As and when i get some progress i'll post back here, but i don't have a lot of free time myself, so please don't expect too much.
To be frank the code is a copy paste job made in the Eden era. Many of the skin coding practises used are old and I only fixed them enough to 'sort of work'.

Anything you do will be appreciated.

Also note that the list above only references changes in the Gotham skinning engine. There are many other obvious broken bits and pieces that need fixes as well, misaligned text labels being the most obvious.
(2014-02-10, 09:47)Kib Wrote:
(2014-02-09, 20:59)karandras24 Wrote: As and when i get some progress i'll post back here, but i don't have a lot of free time myself, so please don't expect too much.
To be frank the code is a copy paste job made in the Eden era. Many of the skin coding practises used are old and I only fixed them enough to 'sort of work'.

Anything you do will be appreciated.

Also note that the list above only references changes in the Gotham skinning engine. There are many other obvious broken bits and pieces that need fixes as well, misaligned text labels being the most obvious.

i've added in the code i have so far for the video extras add-on and have started looking at the misaligned text labels, there's a lot that need sorting.
I added some information to the top post on how to enable the skinning debuggrid and debug info
(2014-02-11, 10:39)Kib Wrote: I added some information to the top post on how to enable the skinning debuggrid and debug info

Cheers for that, that helped loads.

I've fixed the DialogYesNo.xml and the SkinSettings.xml label positions.

am now looking through for other misaligned labels to try and fix and see if there is anything else i can get sorted.

Edit: I've now fixed the label positions on DialogSeekbar.xml & DialogFullScreenInfo.xml

I've also updated DialogOK.xml and after i fixed the label positions on DialogYesNo.xml, i realised the file needed updating to the new gotham scheme and have half fixed it, but i can't get one of the two text labels to display (would you like to keep this change).

Once i got a bit more done i'll start sending pull requests (if you'd like)
Yes, please send a pull request for those changes. I don't mind many pull requests at all - I am completely fine with you sending a pull request for every single file (but that would mean making seperate branches of them) because it makes it easier for me not to duplicate your work. Thanks again by the way.

[I was intrigued what you meant with 'the file needed updating to the new scheme' so I went to take a look but I don't see the files in your repo yet, did you forget to push them ?

Edit: ah right, missed that as well. You were obviously referring to http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1548360
(2014-02-12, 16:14)Kib Wrote: Yes, please send a pull request for those changes. I don't mind many pull requests at all - I am completely fine with you sending a pull request for every single file (but that would mean making seperate branches of them) because it makes it easier for me not to duplicate your work. Thanks again by the way.

[I was intrigued what you meant with 'the file needed updating to the new scheme' so I went to take a look but I don't see the files in your repo yet, did you forget to push them ?

Edit: ah right, missed that as well. You were obviously referring to http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1548360

they are all on my machine at the mo as i've been out and about with no internet connection (except my mobile). I've been working on the files as i've been traveling and waiting for meetings.

Yeah i meant the gotham skinning engine changes.

I'll push them to my repo and then do the pull requests once i'm back at home.
If you push DialogYesNo to a seperate branch I can take a look at it Smile

Never mind, just fixed DialogYesNo
(2014-02-12, 19:03)Kib Wrote: If you push DialogYesNo to a seperate branch I can take a look at it Smile

Never mind, just fixed DialogYesNo

thanks for that, i just realised i pushed the wrong DialogYesNo file to github.

I hope i haven't broken anything with my tinkering.
Nope, just fixed some more alignment issues - you might want to pull or rebase.

- Fixed display of temperature in global top right
- Fixed Weather screen

Also noticed some stuff I want to fix later, because a clean install of XBMC does not have all the optional addons so we should add checks on the various locations that suppose you do:

- the Get Artwork button doesn't do anything when pressed
- the global weather is enabled by default but weather is disabled in Gotham by default. Weather should not show up in top when not set up by the user.
- Skin setting screen hides options for artwork downloader when it is not installed, but not the header. Better to grey everything out and add an 'install artwork downloader' or a notice telling the user to do so.
- Skin settings screen should have information on the enabled addons / addon integration / easy addon install, see above.

If you want to start on this, feel free to do so. This also includes the extra addon support you added.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Neon (Gotham edition) - help needed !3