TV doesn't recognize Pi if TV is turned on after PI
Hi there,

I have forgot what setting is responsible for Pi to send I belive signal to my TV to be recognize.

When I turn on my TV first and then Rpi everything works perfect. But if I turn Rpi first and then TV I cannot see anything on my tv screen.

I was thinking that following code in my config.txt file should solve my problem but it will not: hdmi_force_hotplug=1

In this case I need to restart Rpi with TV turned on and all is working.

Any idea what should I change to have my TV recognizing Rpi in any case?

Thank you in advance for your help.
I don't know the solution, but I have also noticed a problem similar to this.
I have my Pi connected by HDMI on one of he HDMI channels to my TV. It runs Raspbmc with XBMC 12.2.
What happens for me is:
If I have the TV set to the Pi channel then restart the Pi all works well and the display is 1920x1080 like it should.
But if I have another HDMI channel selected when I restart the Pi (either power-on or making a shutdown -r command via SSH) the end result is that when I switch the TV to the Pi channel it displays just the center of the XBMC desktop and it is not even possible to reach the shutdown button (it is way outside the screen).
So I have to connect by SSH and give the sudo shutdown -r now command and then it clears up after the restart.
It must have to do with some inability of Raspbmc to sense the monitor and resize its window accordingly.
Maybe it is not Plug-and-Play? Or not hot P-n-P....

Edit: Corrected name of my version to Raspbmc
Bo Berglund
Sweden
It sounds like the Pi tries to read the edid data when it starts (certainly true for RaspBMC), and will select defaults if it cannot get a sensible reading - which would seem to be the case with that HDMI slot not selected.

My solution is to create an edid,dat when the HDMI channel is connected, and tell the Pi to use it when starting rather than trying to read the device.
Code:
sudo tvservice -d /boot/edid.dat
to read the data to a file, and, in the /boot/config.txt,
Code:
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
to get the info used.

I don't know Raspbian with XBMC to know if this will work
Derek
I would try what dandnsmith suggested too, but pi should default to 720@60Hz when force hotplug but no present edid (I think...).

@Bosse_B
Just to clear up any confusion, you are not running Raspbian, you are running RaspBMC (unless you have switched setup, but initially you definitely ran RaspBMC on NOOBS).
Sorry, I did not check actually but wrote that from "memory".
You are absolutely right! I AM running RaspBMC with XBMC 12.2!
Sorry for the confusion.
I sure will try the hints described above! Thanks!

EDIT a little later:
Now I have applied the suggestions from above and my config.txt file now has the following hdmi lines:
Code:
hdmi_ignore_cec_input=1
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
SUCCESS! I restarted the Pi from SSH with the TV set showing my PVR output (so the Pi HDMI input was disconnected).
Then I switched inputs and found the display exactly like it should be!
Thanks a lot for this solution!
Big Grin Cool
Bo Berglund
Sweden
I'm glad that worked for you
Derek
I guess this thread needs a "SOLVED" tag Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Well, I had a problem similar to the OP and it was solved here.
But since I am not the OP I cannot edit the thread, I guess...
And the OP seems to have disappeared....
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Ah sorry, I thought you were the OP Bosse_b! I'd missed that the thread was actually started by koze. Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Sorry, I haven't mentioned in my post I am using Openelec.

Should I create edit file and than follow your instructions?

Thanks in advance,

koze
Sorry, please ignore/delete this post. I thought koze said raspbmc not openelec.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
So it looks like I am back to starting point.

Any idea how to fix my issue within Openelec?

Thanks,

koze
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1629985
Koze, you need to edit your config.txt file, which unfortunately takes a little extra work. Follow this guide for instructions on how to do it:
http://htpcbuild.com/htpc-software/raspb...rclocking/

With Openelec, you'll notice that there is already a config.txt file with a bunch of helpful comments/notes inside of it. For your problem, as you guessed in your first post, you'll probably want to set this: hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Just add a new line and put that in, save and reboot.
(2014-02-18, 15:06)awp0 Wrote: Koze, you need to edit your config.txt file, which unfortunately takes a little extra work. Follow this guide for instructions on how to do it:
http://htpcbuild.com/htpc-software/raspb...rclocking/

With Openelec, you'll notice that there is already a config.txt file with a bunch of helpful comments/notes inside of it. For your problem, as you guessed in your first post, you'll probably want to set this: hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Just add a new line and put that in, save and reboot.

Thanks for your info.
I have config.txt file already on my Pi. As I mentioned in my first post hdmi_force_hotplug=1 is already set in config.txt file.
But still have the same issue.
When I start my RPi with TV on all works great. Even if I later turn off Tv with RPi working I can turn on tv and all is working fine.
The only problem I have when I start my RPi with TV turn off and after that I turn my TV, TV doesn't recognize RPI.

Thanks,

koze

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV doesn't recognize Pi if TV is turned on after PI0