Turn on "Debugging" without showing the display?
Actually I want to log an issue (sometimes the OSD permanently automatically occurs while watching a video and there are days it does not happen). And I just do not want to see the debug information all the time while watching a video.
Newest stable Kodi (portable), Win 10 | skin: default Confluence
then change core code and recompile XBMC
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
advancedsettings.xml looks okay, no obvious typing mistakes that would stop it from being processed. Check your log file to see that it's being read in, just to make sure - it'll show early on in the log.

Otherwise - and I've lost the thread here a little - turn debug logging OFF in the XBMC GUI, but leave it set as you've defined it in the advancedsettings.xml file - and see what happens.
It is rather simple actually.

Lets look at the loglevels.
Code:
-1     No logging, suppresses all log output
0     Normal logging, only logging errors (Default)
1     Debug logging (without showing text on screen)
2     Debug logging with freemem, fps and cpu usage shown on screen
3     Debug logging with freemem, fps and cpu usage and full smb logging

Normally (without advancedsetting) the button in GUI switches between 0 and 2.
If you set loglevel to 1 and do not have the hide option enabled (hide="false") then the button in the GUI switches between 1 and 2

This is what you did, and you have the button option enabled, hence it is at level 2 which will show on screen.
so really what you saying is for 1 then wiki should specify that also must be set to true

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="true">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Which then it just needs to be updated on wiki to reflect what this specific loglevel is dependant on gui visibility to be disabled conditions to work.
As is the gui visibility alludes to option on xbmc settings to enable/disable debugging to be visible, not that gui visibility means overlay/not overlay debugging information on screen, so understandingly ppl will get wrong impression.
hide="true" only hides the setting from the system->settings->debugging.
that's all.

it does not affect any logging level what so ever.

on a separate note: this whole thread is one big mess. there is no clear indication what he actual wants and the rest is just creating confusion.
might as well throw it away.
in the OP he says he doesn't want to see on screen info, then he says he wants on screen but then says he wants it but not when playing video.
seriously how is someone even suppose to follow that
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
What does this mean and how do you set it up so xbmc does what wiki says?

Code:
1     Debug logging (without showing text on screen)

(without showing text on screen) being the operative words.
I think we've two things...

1. hide=true|false - determines whether the option appears in the GUI
2. loglevel = determines what gets shown on screen and/or written to the logfile unless over-ridden by the GUI. If the GUI option is set to on, loglevel will be 2.

Yes?

If so, the answer I gave above is what the OP asked, I think, and we can update the wiki as needed to make it clearer - switch it OFF on the GUI and set it to loglevel 1 (or hide it in the GUI and set level to 1, I suspect, although I'm not sure what would happen if you set this after you'd switched debugging on in the GUI).

I'll go and test anyway.
1. Switch it off in the GUI, set hide=false, loglevel=1, restart - debug log created, nothing shown on screen

2. Switch if off in the GUI, set hide=true, logleve=1, restart - debug log created, nothing shown on screen, no GUI option to enable debugging under System -> Settings

3. Boot with hide=false, loglevel=1, then switch on in the GUI - loglevel changes to 2, text appears on screen

4. Shut down with debugging still enabled (level 2 according to the wiki) - set hide=true, loglevel=1, restart - loglevel starts at 1 (advancedsettings) but then switches to 2, text appears on screen. "Enabled debug logging due to GUI setting (2)" written to debug log.

So, very simply - you can set the log level in the advancedsettings, but it will be over-ridden by what is set in the GUI, irrespective of whether the GUI option is shown or not. I presume that this level is stored in guisettings between restarts, though I can't immediately see it.

EDIT

If someone can confirm this (peer review :-) ) then I'll update the wiki to make it clearer that the GUI setting takes precedence.
Exactly, i didn't post that without trying obviously.

Imho you could even consider the last situation a bug.
Wiki updated anyway. I haven't raised a bug as it's equally something to be considered as "functionality as intended" - so long as it's clear, it probably doesn't matter.
I doubt anyone would put much effort in fixing these unintended random features.

Good job Wink looks ok in wiki, though I would have opted for another formatting for these kind of notes.

After a few tests indeed basically as you described. Not such a useless thread as it turned out that clarification is not a wild goose chase after all, even if getting the right information is more like pulling teeth.
Thank you very much for helping.
Newest stable Kodi (portable), Win 10 | skin: default Confluence
Here thanks yous come with + cookies, notice I gave one to prof yaffle Wink

Please mark thread as solved. thx.
Yeah, thanks for the +1, uNi - even if you couldn't resist being a critic of the wiki formatting Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turn on "Debugging" without showing the display?0