SMB Sharing Suddenly Broken
Bug 
A few days ago I decided to change my HTPCs around, as my custom build one was just too noisy for my living room. I had a Zotac AD-10 as a secondary that I was going to make my primary. I put OpenELEC on it, gave the old advancedsettings.xml, and it was working. I was watching Adventure Time and all that. Later that day I noticed I couldn't, and I started the troubleshooting process. But I also tried XBMC on my Mac, and noticed the same problem. The library is stored on my desktop PC running Windows 7 Professional.

Here's what I've since tried:
  • Reset the router (unplug/plug in).
  • Delete all the databases I could from SQL.
  • Deleted all the files in the userdata folder.
  • Make the advancedsettings.xml from scratching from the wiki.
  • Change my share settings on the Windows 7 server to stop asking for a username/password to access the shares, and gave everyone full control over those files via SMB.
  • Add all the sources, and then some of the sources just to save time.
  • Add the sources by typing in the location by hand ("smb://192.168.1.91/MoreStorage/..." etc).
  • Add the source by browsing by source, telling it to "Add Network Location" from the Browse dialog.

The Windows 7 server can play these videos fine. I then go over to my Mac laptop in the same room, and it says the file can't be found when I try to play from it. I can open the SMB share from the Finder, and play those movie files fine with VLC. I get the same error on the OpenELEC nettop PC. Both the nettop and Mac show the source of the file (in XBMC) as smb://192.168.1.91/... and they can connect to that machine, as it is also the SQL server, and the library updates when I change it on the Windows server directly.

Since I am able to read the files in the Finder and play them in VLC, and that both clients can connect to the server for the SQL, I don't know what I can be missing. I turned on the debug function of XBMC, and tried to play one of the videos, and attached the log via Pastebin below:
http://pastebin.com/vzzCVaX3

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be that's causing me the problem?

EDIT: Holy cow, my first post on this site was in 2006!
I had problems with SMB so I switched to NFS and have been trouble free ever since.
I had a very similar issue with my setup. My "server" machine is running Win 7 x64 and is also where the MySQL DB is running. I was having problems with my ATV and Android phone not seeing the SMB shares on the Win 7 server. Actually they would see the shares but could not access them. Rebooting the server would fix it temporarily but it got annoying. I made the two registry tweaks on the following web page (I think the same info is in a thread here on the XBMC forums)

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windo...nomem.html

After making the two registry changes (Size 1 to 3 and LargeSystemCache 0 to1) I have not had any SMB sharing issues. Give it a try... can't hurt.
I made those changes to the SMB sharing, and still no change. I also just went to extreme lengths to uninstall mySQL entirely and reinstalled it. Same problems, I can see the files in the Mac file browser and open them, but not in XMBC, but they play fine in XBMC on the server computer.

I've been using XBMC for 7 years now if my account is anything to go by. This is the first time SMB is giving me a problem. Also, I'm on 7 Home Premium, so I can't do NFS sharing.
One of my Win7 machines keeps switching itself to "domain mode" (business instead of home network). Making for interesting file sharing where the share is there, but inaccessible. Maybe a recent Windows update did something.
I checked and changed the network from "Home" to "Work" and back again, still nothing. I turned off the sharing for those folders, and put them back on, and still no change. I have been using XBMC since the original Xbox, and this is the first time I've had a problem sharing. Sad
I have noticed that recently updating my library via > update Library that my SMB share for movies which has two sources in the one entry, even though new files exist or been added, the library update doesnt detect any new content, but when selecting the Share/source and selecting > Scan for new content -> works.

Odd but its happening and my setup hasnt changed except my XBMC has been constantly upgraded every other day based on master.

In contrast my sources using NFS share which also has tow sources for similar content have no such problems.
Okay, just tried something different it might be working. I deleted the library (just through XBMC this time). Then I went over the my Macbook client. I had that add the videos over SMB, and it could play the videos. The server could as well. Got me, but it seems that by adding them over the network, they could be accessed over the network now. I'll have to try the OpenELEC Zotac nettop next, but I think I got it. I never had to add the videos that way before, but now it's working. Really odd.

EDIT: Nope, only available on the Mac and the Windows Server. Zotac OpenELEC box doesn't load the thumbnails or play the files.
I think I got it. I added the sources on the OpenELEC box and the movies could play. I think I assumed that since the info page for the media showed the complete file path including "smb://192.168.1.91/..." that it would be enough for it to read the file. It seems it needs the path added to sources as well. Just watched some episodes, played some music and music videos, and everything seems to go off without a hitch. Except for collection posters/fanart, but I'll deal with that later.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Sharing Suddenly Broken0