• 11(current)
Solved XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos
(2014-04-02, 01:42)DEcosse Wrote:
Sharp Wrote:Thanks for this It fixed my XBMC

glynnd Wrote:worked a treat mate, thanks

No need to use the script - there is an official xbmc fix ..........

Could you share this fix with us mate ....greetings from australia
Install latest Gotham beta of git version
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
please im using ATV2 WITH FRODO 12.3 still have empty repos can not force the refresh is there any fix for that for atv2
thnx god bless
@Japgeisha
I am afraid fix went only into Gotham version.
Its compiled against different library in linux.
Not sure if there is any more interest in fixing Frodo at this point.
No fixing Frodo what so ever
(2014-04-02, 11:30)serapim Wrote: Could you share this fix with us mate ....greetings from australia

(2014-04-02, 11:32)Martijn Wrote: Install latest Gotham beta of git version

What he^ said - install Gotham Beta3
i did install gotham beta 3 some repos still not compatible and navix is not compatible,

but i did a trick i install gotham i enabled all the repos that were empty i remove gotham and go back to frodo

i enable the repos that dont work for gotham . and i end up with full package . till a final gotham release thx all
Ok, so this is "solved" by upgrading XBMC to the unstable ppas for Gotham beta 3 (or nightly builds). If you have a good running system with 10.04 raring, except for this one issue, update your computer (operating system), then get the unstable ppas for Gotham. If you are still on stable frodo ppas and/or dont want to update your operating system at the moment, you are sol. Gotch ya. Nice guys.
1st: raring - 13.04 is deprecated and out of support by _ubuntu_, nothing we can do about it.
2nd: this is _not_ an xbmc issue, but a gnutls bug together with an github update.
3rd: this only happens with certain 3rd party repos, not our fault either.

We can only work around this on the xbmc side, which we did.
Your right its 13.04, my typo. Your also right that it became an issue when another party changed things. But I disagree that the crashing is solely the responsibility of the other parties.
Bugs happen with software all the time. Thats life. But not having proper error handling and the program fails to run? That is the fault of the program. Not the OS it was supposedly designed to run on (and did so up until that point). The addons that use git-hub have the responsibility ensure that they run within your program or they fix it so that it does. Not tell you to fix yours.
If yours wont work within the OS thats up to you to fix it not tell the OS devs to comply with you. Although you could try and ask. But you might get the same reply as you give addon devs that do that to you. Or in this case the same reply you are giving the users. (its not my fault you installed it)
Now in all fairness you did fix it for certain versions, but telling the users to change their OS to comply with your certain versions? And a beta, or nightlies, that can knowingly introduce even more issues??
Come on now.
If you offer software you have a reasonable responsibility to ensure that it works. Not blow it off just because you don't want to take the time to fix it properly. Or point fingers to try and cover the fact that there is a bug in yours.
I'm not saying that you needed to fix the initial problem of git-hub. Just do the part that you are responsible for and ensure that software runs properly and not crash. As I said, if the addons wont work within the parameters of your program then thats their problem and their responsibility. If yours wont work within the parameters of the OS then its not the OS's problem, its all yours.
What, you never thought that a query to a third party sever, or an OS for that matter, might at some point in time give back an unexpected result? Ever hear the term sh*t happens? Thats what a try and except statement is for. Empty ropes on Windows and others but keeps running. Thats the way it should work with an issue like this. Crashing on Linux and not running? Sorry, thats not the fault of Linux. Its your responsibility to make sure it runs and not crash. Just as if you were making an addon to XBMC.
As for passing the buck to the end user to change everything when all it might take is a simple patch on your part. Why don't you just stick your middle finger up at them. because your telling them the exact same thing.
This issue was a comedy of errors. Own up to your part. Please don't make the end user the butt of the joke.
No long text needed. Read the code and see what we can do. Ever tried to try / catch a segfault? And no, we don't want to dispatch a signal handler.

PR welcome.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-04-10, 09:39)crzen Wrote: .......
If you offer software you have a reasonable responsibility to ensure that it works. Not blow it off just because you don't want to take the time to fix it properly. Or point fingers to try and cover the fact that there is a bug in yours.

you can complain all you want. This is open source software country and we don't do this for a living but for fun.

we are NOT obligated to do anything. The bug was only uncovered because github changed something that affected XBMC in a way that wasn't thought of and a third-party lib was at fault. If it crashes well to bad, it's fixed for future versions. You want to use the use software. You want to install a third-party repo not us. Frodo is dead in development and bug fixing and we are not looking back. There are countless problems that are in Frodo and fixed in Gotham so upgrading is by far the best solution. Also people who start demanding will get ignored.

As said this is open source software so if you feel anything needs fixing either get your hands dirty and do it and send the patch to github or have a more kind tone of voice and hope some other dev will take the time.
I totally understand how you do this as a hobby and there is no money in it. So do I. Nothing really worth mentioning and and nothing worthwhile. its just a fit-it so dont bother yourselves about it. I'm not demanding anything. I'm asking for a reconsideration of the stance that has been taken on this towards frodo and the OS. So If I read you correctly frodo is EOL with no stable upgrade available. Ok, fine. Then so be it. Its just that that part threw me when I read it before. And matrijn, you are absolutely right. No, your not obligated to do anything. Its something called ethics. I was hoping to appeal to that. I changed the tiny repo that I have as soon as I could when I found out it was causing people a problem. But thats just the way I am. I apologize for my tone, having a differance of opinion, and for wasting your time. I will drop the subject and not bother you again about it. But I will try and take a look at the code. I cant promise anything and will apologize in advance if anything I do come up with is is not suitable for what is needed.
why don't you go complain at the source of the problem: gnutls and github, as this IS an OS/upstream library issue.
As for changing OS: nobody forces you to change OS. You can keep using your totally(read: by Ubuntu) unsupported distribution and just compile xbmc yourself. This will fix your issue.
If someone could point me in the right direction like where the function call is for the "check repos for updates" it would help tremendously. If not, no worries, I'll find it myself.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos1