• 287(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-05-01, 02:57)KPunks Wrote: apologies typeo on my part i meant CNTL-D Jesus christ, edit again D not B lol

you can't win today. Does it beep or go to the recovery screen when you hit CTRL-D? If not, then it's likely an issue with your keyboard, not ChromeOS
(2015-05-01, 03:00)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-01, 02:57)KPunks Wrote: apologies typeo on my part i meant CNTL-D Jesus christ, edit again D not B lol

you can't win today. Does it beep or go to the recovery screen when you hit CTRL-D? If not, then it's likely an issue with your keyboard, not ChromeOS

I think you are right to be honest, I should have probably done some more problem determination prior to posting. I am using a Logitech K400 bluetooth with Built-In touch pad, and doesn't seem to respond while it is booting, however if i use a standard USB keyboard I am able to boot into it. The interesting thing is I can power the box up with the keyboard.

Edit: Notice this keyboard is noted as being a problem after doing a search, bummer.
(2015-05-01, 03:13)KPunks Wrote: I think you are right to be honest, I should have probably done some more problem determination prior to posting. I am using a Logitech K400 bluetooth with Built-In touch pad, and doesn't seem to respond while it is booting, however if i use a standard USB keyboard I am able to boot into it. The interesting thing is I can power the box up with the keyboard.

Edit: Notice this keyboard is noted as being a problem after doing a search, bummer.

the K400 is listed on the wiki as not working for dual boot OS selection Smile
(2015-04-30, 17:25)Matt Devo Wrote: what does 'same using android or windows' mean? You're trying to run a Linux script, how do Android/Windows factor in?

As stated in the OP, you can't run the EZ Setup Script (3Tfu5W / vUPL3OrH) from OpenELEC, because it doesn't have a full bash shell - that's the whole reason for the HSZer4 script. The curl certificate error you are getting there isn't one I can reproduce here - check with the OpenELEC folks.

chromebox on with open elec loaded ( a beta of kodi 15)

I tried the script after login (root/openelec) with mobile ssh for android and putty for windows and the error is the same

is this correct ? Huh
(2015-04-18, 23:54)HarryMohan Wrote:
(2015-04-19, 16:27)Matt Devo Wrote: selecting the hard drive as the boot device would have no effect on the next boot. I'd try booting the OpenELEC installer blindly by hitting 'ESC' then '2' a few times in sequence

Matt, thank you. I tried your suggestion again, this time it worked. THANK YOU....Am i limited to skins or any skin would work?

I have a similar problem but I'm scared I bricked my chromebox!

I followed the instructions to a T for a standalone OpenELEC setup on my Dell Chromebox.

After creating the install media on an SD card, I rebooted but nothing came up! It was a blank screen on my computer monitor (hdmi) even after waiting ~10min. I even tried to connect to a tv (hdmi) and still blank.
So I freaked out a little and shut it down and tried to boot with the recovery button held, but same blank screen at boot.

Then I tried Matt's solution by blindly hitting 'esc' and then '2' a few times, but still nothing.
I even tried inserting the recovery usb but the led on the usb drive just flashes endlessly and nothing happens!

I'd appreciate any help!
(2015-05-01, 05:54)Roby77 Wrote: chromebox on with open elec loaded ( a beta of kodi 15)

I tried the script after login (root/openelec) with mobile ssh for android and putty for windows and the error is the same

is this correct ? Huh

are you freaking kidding me? You get an error when trying to download the firmware update script, which the first google result tells you is "related to a missing package: ca-certificates" (so something OS-related), and you don't bother to mention you're running some random unofficial version OpenELEC/Kodi 15?

<grumble>
(2015-05-01, 08:38)cavemandaveman Wrote: I have a similar problem but I'm scared I bricked my chromebox!

I followed the instructions to a T for a standalone OpenELEC setup on my Dell Chromebox.

After creating the install media on an SD card, I rebooted but nothing came up! It was a blank screen on my computer monitor (hdmi) even after waiting ~10min. I even tried to connect to a tv (hdmi) and still blank.
So I freaked out a little and shut it down and tried to boot with the recovery button held, but same blank screen at boot.

Then I tried Matt's solution by blindly hitting 'esc' and then '2' a few times, but still nothing.
I even tried inserting the recovery usb but the led on the usb drive just flashes endlessly and nothing happens!

I'd appreciate any help!

the recovery button has no function now that you've flashed my custom firmware; likewise, the ChromeOS recovery media isn't usable.

If the firmware update process reported success, then there's pretty much zero chance that the box is bricked.

You're using the HDMI output of the box, connected directly to the HDMI input of the monitor?
After powering on the box, if you press the power button, does it power off immediately, or do you have to hold it?
(2015-05-01, 08:49)Matt Devo Wrote: the recovery button has no function now that you've flashed my custom firmware; likewise, the ChromeOS recovery media isn't usable.

If the firmware update process reported success, then there's pretty much zero chance that the box is bricked.

You're using the HDMI output of the box, connected directly to the HDMI input of the monitor?
After powering on the box, if you press the power button, does it power off immediately, or do you have to hold it?

The firmware did report success.

Box is connected to monitor directly with hdmi and I have to hold power button for it to power off.
(2015-05-01, 09:03)cavemandaveman Wrote: The firmware did report success.

Box is connected to monitor directly with hdmi and I have to hold power button for it to power off.

ok, good, that means the firmware has booted and handed off control to the OS - otherwise it would power off immediately. What's the native resolution of your monitor?
(2015-05-01, 09:25)Matt Devo Wrote: ok, good, that means the firmware has booted and handed off control to the OS - otherwise it would power off immediately. What's the native resolution of your monitor?

Native is 1920x1080. I looked through the settings but can't set it to 1024x768, it should auto change and usually does. I also thought about trying display port but I don't have a capable monitor
(2015-05-01, 08:42)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-01, 05:54)Roby77 Wrote: chromebox on with open elec loaded ( a beta of kodi 15)

is this correct ? Huh

are you freaking kidding me? You get an error when trying to download the firmware update script, which the first google result tells you is "related to a missing package: ca-certificates" (so something OS-related), and you don't bother to mention you're running some random unofficial version OpenELEC/Kodi 15?

<grumble>

Ops don't kill me Big Grin

my apologize
Anyone using their chromebox with openelec and tvheadend as a PVR ?

I went through the growing pains of installing tvheadend and getting it all set up with my hd homerun OTA tuner and getting the EPG data with Mc2xml.

Thought I was golden as I wanted to just use this box for live tv and PVR duty and leave my desktop out of it.

Problem I am having is with my external USB3 portable hard drive. Every time it wakes up from sleep to record a show it doesn't mount the drive.

And yesterday it actually woke up, mounted the drive, and started a recording but for some reason stopped recording half way through and missed the second show I had scheduled.

When I went to check it the drive had again been unmounted.

Is there anyone using the box this way ? Any problems with mounting drives ?

edit - just adding that I have the kodi option enabled to shut down (suspend) after 15 minutes of idle time
(2015-04-29, 23:44)Matt Devo Wrote: It will only power on from suspend, not full off.

Is that the setting in OpenELEC. Matt, thank you for your help and all your work.
(2015-05-01, 09:35)cavemandaveman Wrote: Native is 1920x1080. I looked through the settings but can't set it to 1024x768, it should auto change and usually does. I also thought about trying display port but I don't have a capable monitor

that's fine, it's not trying to set it to 1024x768 at this point - it only does that with the stock firmware. I'm going to suggest you re-create the install media on another PC, using another USB stick/SD card. It's possible your SD card isn't being detected as bootable, so it's not switching to VGA tet mode long enough for your monitor to sync up

(2015-05-01, 16:15)HarryMohan Wrote:
(2015-04-29, 23:44)Matt Devo Wrote: It will only power on from suspend, not full off.

Is that the setting in OpenELEC. Matt, thank you for your help and all your work.

You need to set Kodi to suspend when the power toggle signal is sent from the remote. As noted in the wiki:
* System-->Settings-->System-->Power Saving: Shutdown function:Suspend (sets IR power toggle to suspend)

The limitation of only powering on in suspend is due to the USB ports being off, rather than in a low-power state, when the box is fully powered off. I've played around with the firmware some but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work.
(2015-05-01, 16:38)Matt Devo Wrote: that's fine, it's not trying to set it to 1024x768 at this point - it only does that with the stock firmware. I'm going to suggest you re-create the install media on another PC, using another USB stick/SD card. It's possible your SD card isn't being detected as bootable, so it's not switching to VGA tet mode long enough for your monitor to sync up

I made a new OpenELEC install media on a different usb stick following the link from the chromebox wiki but still nothing Sad
How long after I power on do I hit 'esc' and how many times exactly do I hit '2'?
  • 287(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37