Win Screen Resolution Reset Issue
Before explaining my issue, I need to explain my setup:

I have two screens: Screen 1 is a Dell S2240T with screen resolution of 1080P. Screen 2 is a Samsung 46inch TV With Native Resolution of 1920x1050 (I know...),

I am running Windows 8 with an AMD Radeon 7950 graphics card.

Windows Screen Resolution for the Samsung is set at 1080P with AMD Catalyst software under scanning the screen by 2% (to fit the 1080p into the 1050 res). While the Dell is set at 1080P with no underscanning.

My issue: I run XBMC (Gotham but issue occurred in Frodo too) at full screen onto the Samsung at 1080P (in XBMC settings) for the family to watch shows. I game onto my Dell at full screen. The issue is whenever I load a game while XBMC is running, my screen settings for the Samsung go crazy. While a show is playing, the resolution of the show doesn't change but once it ends, the XBMC menus are way too large. I then have to navigate to the XBMC system settings (by heart since I can't see a large part of the bottom and of the right screen) and reset my XBMC screen resolution. The windows settings for the screen don't change - only XBMC seems to forget what resolution it is set at.

This occurs regardless of which game I play while XBMC is running. To make it worse - depending on the game, I only have to reset my screen resolution once after the game first launches (as is the case for Civ V) but in other cases, I have to reset the XBMC resolution every time I click back into my game after playing through the XBMC menus.

Here's the above in simpler language:

I load XBMC at fullscreen onto my Samsung TV and start a show. I then launch a game at fullscreen onto my Dell. Doing so causes both screens to flash black a few times (resolution settings are changing?). Show looks fine, Game looks fine. Show ends, XBMC menus are way overscaled (about 20%). I alt-tab out of my game and click into XBMC. Screen flashes black a few times (screen res changing again?). I guess my way through XBMC menus to reset XBMC screen resolution settings to 1080P. XBMC looks fine again. I start a second show. I click back into my game. Screen flashes black a few times (screen res changing?), Show looks fine, game still looks fine. Rinse and repeat (depending on game).

Seeing that my Windows screen res settings don't appear to change, (or rather, that they appear to but revert every time I click on a different screen) but my Dell always displays properly, it would appear that XBMC forgets the screen resolution it is set at when Windows has its screen res spasms.

So I'm wondering if this is a bug, or a screen res conflict issue I have and how I could fix it if that is the case? My 9 year old son can't navigate the system menus to reset the resolution when I'm not around and it's generally just a pain in the butt.
Update: Changed my settings so I no longer use under/overscanning.

Dell is set at 1080p while Samsung is 1920x 1050.

The same flickering issues occur but now XBMC resets it's resolution (not while playing a video, but when clicking out of my game) to 1650 x 1050.

I can confirm that my windows settings do not change at all. It is uniquely XBMC that forgets it's resolution and reset to 1650 x 1050 instead of staying at 1920x1080.

Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen Resolution Reset Issue0