1TB SSD at a good price and has great reviews
Was checking out the Samsung 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III SSD

It has excellent reviews.and at $459.99 and free shipping,...I'll be picking one up. Sure, prices always fall,...but I need a 1TB SSD now,..and I've seen other 1TB SSD drives that are way more expensive.

Edit: Took out the picture
Are you trying to pimp a referral link?
Reported, just in case as there's a referral id in that link you posted.
Also, we're not idiots stop spamming.
(2014-05-31, 19:38)robo989 Wrote: Are you trying to pimp a referral link?

Dude,...sorry if you see it that way,...
I have built many systems and have also posted all of my builds.
I found this to be a pretty good deal.
Originally my neighbor that I just built a system for wanted a bigger SSD.
I asked him,..how much he was looking to spend.
For a while there, these 1TB SSDs were out of reach price-wise,...but now they are coming down,..as I said in my original post.
And as I said,...not only am I picking up one for him,..I'm getting another for me.
Sorry if you see this as "pimping" or "spamming".
Don't apologize. Your post is fine and not spam. I am not sure why this guy has a hair across his arse.
I posted because it had a referral ID in it, a referral ID gives the referrer money for a click through or if a purchase is made, not sure on Amazon's policy but I'm assuming with them it's for a purchase.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W1...B00E3W16OU
as_li_tf_tl <- is the referrer ID.
Maybe it was an accident
A clean link would be http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W16OU/

It's against the rules here and on any forum that I know of to try and profit from referring in this way.
Under $440 at newegg.com http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/May...id=4296983
(2014-05-31, 20:58)LazerBlue Wrote: Under $440 at newegg.com http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/May...id=4296983

and THIS is EXACTLY Why I posted my first message!
Nice,...looks like I'll be saving myself $20 by going to newegg.

(2014-05-31, 20:57)robo989 Wrote: Maybe it was an accident

Maybe give that and someone's reputation some consideration before accusing them of pimping links and spamming.
(2014-05-31, 22:03)Dougie Fresh Wrote:

(2014-05-31, 20:57)robo989 Wrote: Maybe it was an accident

Maybe give that and someone's reputation some consideration before accusing them of pimping links and spamming.

Please don't try to suggest I am in the wrong on this
Posting links to good deals (however good) is not what this part of the forum is for to begin with, so even with the referral link removed it's still spam/advertising.
The report button explicitly gives advertising as a reason, please click it to check.

I'm happy to let this rest and not bite further but to twist this round is unacceptable and incorrect form.
By default amazon always throws a ref link in there when you copy/paste the URL from a browser. Even if you go and visit this short URL, generated from the share link, it will change it to include a ref link: http://amzn.com/B00E3W16OU

Most likely this ref link is just for tracking where people got the link from, and has no benefit to GortWillSaveUs.

Quote:Posting links to good deals (however good) is not what this part of the forum is for to begin with, so even with the referral link removed it's still spam/advertising.

Posting good deals in the hardware forum is completely acceptable and is common place. We've had a couple of specific "deal threads" in the past. If I were specifically "pimping" my own product, that would be one thing, but telling people about some other deal is just fine. It's even okay to occasionally mention a product one produces as long as it is reasonably on topic to a given thread, like one of the Pulse-Eight guys mentioning the CEC adapter in a remote thread, or Dougie mentioning one of his systems in a thread about Celerons or whatever.
(2014-06-01, 00:25)Ned Scott Wrote: By default amazon always throws a ref link in there when you copy/paste the URL from a browser. Even if you go and visit this short URL, generated from the share link, it will change it to include a ref link: http://amzn.com/B00E3W16OU

Most likely this ref link is just for tracking where people got the link from, and has no benefit to GortWillSaveUs.

Quote:Posting links to good deals (however good) is not what this part of the forum is for to begin with, so even with the referral link removed it's still spam/advertising.

Posting good deals in the hardware forum is completely acceptable and is common place. We've had a couple of specific "deal threads" in the past. If I were specifically "pimping" my own product, that would be one thing, but telling people about some other deal is just fine. It's even okay to occasionally mention a product one produces as long as it is reasonably on topic to a given thread, like one of the Pulse-Eight guys mentioning the CEC adapter in a remote thread, or Dougie mentioning one of his systems in a thread about Celerons or whatever.

Fair enough then.
Please accept my apologies GortWillSaveUs and others, I was clearly in the wrong here due to my interpretation of the rules here.
All the best to you.
Keeping in line with the original topic, what are the benefits of such a large SSD in relation to XBMC and media usage in general? I feel like the performance increase gained from using an SSD instead of a hard disk wouldn't be significant enough to justify the price of that SSD.

Typically, people value storage capacity over speed when it comes to HTPC usage. It's not that having faster access to your media improves the experience, or that hard disk drives are too slow to access media at a reasonable rate. I have my media stored on a NAS in my computer room. I play my media on an NUC in the living room, which is connected using a router as a wireless bridge over 5 Ghz Wifi. Even with a wireless connection, my media still plays almost instantly, and I never feel like I'm missing disk speed anywhere.

With that in mind, why would someone spend $400+ on an SSD for a HTPC?
(2014-06-01, 13:40)robo989 Wrote:
(2014-06-01, 00:25)Ned Scott Wrote: By default amazon always throws a ref link in there when you copy/paste the URL from a browser. Even if you go and visit this short URL, generated from the share link, it will change it to include a ref link: http://amzn.com/B00E3W16OU

Fair enough then.
Please accept my apologies GortWillSaveUs and others, I was clearly in the wrong here due to my interpretation of the rules here.
All the best to you.

No worries robo989,...I accept your apology and know that you contribute quite a lot to these forums.
I always appreciate reading your threads.
(2014-06-01, 14:25)two515ty Wrote: Keeping in line with the original topic, what are the benefits of such a large SSD in relation to XBMC and media usage in general? I feel like the performance increase gained from using an SSD instead of a hard disk wouldn't be significant enough to justify the price of that SSD.

Typically, people value storage capacity over speed when it comes to HTPC usage. It's not that having faster access to your media improves the experience, or that hard disk drives are too slow to access media at a reasonable rate. I have my media stored on a NAS in my computer room. I play my media on an NUC in the living room, which is connected using a router as a wireless bridge over 5 Ghz Wifi. Even with a wireless connection, my media still plays almost instantly, and I never feel like I'm missing disk speed anywhere.

With that in mind, why would someone spend $400+ on an SSD for a HTPC?

You bring up excellent points! I agree with you,...this is not a purchase for the budget conscious.
Probably the biggest reasons are these:

1. Space - If you are using a small case (and it seems they keep getting smaller and smaller),...and SSD makes a lot of sense.
2. Heat - IDE, SATA, and SCSI drives give off significant amount of heat. An SSD can help if you're already fighting this demon.
3. Noise - Again, IDE, SATA, and SCSI drives can be pretty loud, and if you're concened about watching a movie in a quite environment,..then an SSD makes sense.
4. Speed - Now here's where I agree totally with you,...I use a SATA drive in one of my boxes,..and don't see almost any lag,...however,...there are times where the drive has to spin up and it seems like it takes a pretty long time,..relatively speaking.

So I'd say, 1-3 are probably the clincher. I hope that helps.
Very good points. Since I use a NAS in another room, I never really thought about the heat or house aspects. I could see this SSD being useful for someone going fit a completely fanless, noiseless build ( like an NUC or mini-ITX build).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1TB SSD at a good price and has great reviews0