New Streaming Device
Hello. I have a question maybe someone could help me with. I was wanting to purchase another Media streamer,but a bit confused as to which one to choose. I have read somewhere that the apptv2 streams by far the best,but dos not support 1080,which I do want. Been researching and found the MX box was supposed to be solid,but I have also read that Android is a bit unstable. I do not know for a fact this is true,so maybe someone could make a suggestion. All the boxes i have looked at where between 50 to 100 or so. WIFI would have to be the connection option for this box as my internet is just to far from my other tv.Any problems streaming 1080 from WIFI?Just a question. Thanks.
Most $100 boxes won't have very good wifi.

Given the parameters you've defined, sideloading XBMC onto an Amazon Fire TV (wiki) might be your best option, but it might not be. There are many factors and many people have different opinions on them. You may or may not be happy with a Fire TV, but if you have a hard limit of $100 then that would be my recommendation for happiness. If you can spend more then I would go with a miniPC, like the NUC.
MX BOX and reflashed with linux xbmc Openelec etc, maybe ok for u
acemaxtec
I know you were looking at between 50 and 100 dollars, but if you could find a bit more cash, this would really solve your problem properly:

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Ultim...ry+pi+xbmc
(2014-07-01, 11:49)kentiger Wrote: MX BOX and reflashed with linux xbmc Openelec etc, maybe ok for u

There is no "MX" box that runs OpenELEC, and all of the MX boxes have horrible wifi.
(2014-07-01, 14:32)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-07-01, 11:49)kentiger Wrote: MX BOX and reflashed with linux xbmc Openelec etc, maybe ok for u

There is no "MX" box that runs OpenELEC, and all of the MX boxes have horrible wifi.

Nope. http://matricom.net/forum/index.php?topic=11823.0

And it has to be said that wifi on my ATV1200 boxes has been superb on both Android and Linux.
(2014-07-01, 15:25)bobones Wrote:
(2014-07-01, 14:32)Ned Scott Wrote:

Nope. http://matricom.net/forum/index.php?topic=11823.0

And it has to be said that wifi on my ATV1200 boxes has been superb on both Android and Linux.

Wow, that's pretty damn cool!

Not sure about the ATV1200, but I wouldn't go with anything that only has one antenna for wifi. No matter how good the drivers and signal strength is, with one wifi antenna on 802.11n you will hit a hard limit of 65 megs-ish, and that isn't counting protocol overhead. Granted, this depends greatly on the bitrate of the videos (and other factors).

In any case, it should be possible to add replacement wifi that is better. Most of these boxes just use an internal USB connection, so you can even hack something together so it looks really clean. There are various USB wifi dongles that have multiple antenna, you want at least 2T2R (well, you could to 1T2R, I guess, since the main concern is receiving). At least, as far as my own limited understanding of wireless technology goes, but the bottom line is that I wouldn't worry about the wifi the boxes come with.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Streaming Device0