Android Options to improve SD-video quality ?
Hi,

maybe someone is able to help me / us.
I'm using an himedia Q10.

XBMC works well on this device with some configurations. HD-video is playing well in very good quality with libstagefrigth and in between with mediacodec as well (SPMC 13.2)

But the seemingly most simple task - decode SD (DVD) - video is a problem for this device with xbmc.
Lets say: other players like MX, wondershare and himedia-player make much better image-quality for SD-video as the xbmc-DVD-player. But: they are all not so good integrated in xbmc AND the DVD-Navigation is really perfect only with XBMC-DVD-Player!

If the original image quality is high and progressive (cinema), you see not such a great difference between the different players. But when you try to watch older 4:3 videos or interlaced-video the you have often really bad quality. So it seems to be a question of sherpeness, deinterlacing and scaling.

I made some tests and my impression is, that the quality grows a little bit when I choose Softwaredecoding instead of hardware-acceleration - but it is not a good modification for alle the other videos and the improvement seems to be very small.

Do you have any ideas what we can do to improve SD-video quality in XBMC ?

Which paramters for video and acceleration are the best for you?
Which parameters are making sence for HQ-scaling ? 0 % 100 % or 50 % ? Where is the difference ?
What is with postprocessing and parameters in advancedsettings.xml like "ppffmpegpostprocessing" and so on.

THX
SaEt9000
For SD, if the H/W quality is not great, you can disable sepcific codec for libstagefright.
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml , look for <stagefright> and try <usempeg2codec>0</usempeg2codec>
(2014-08-04, 20:21)Koying Wrote: For SD, if the H/W quality is not great, you can disable sepcific codec for libstagefright.
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml , look for <stagefright> and try <usempeg2codec>0</usempeg2codec>

This I also tried.
BTW - in between I prefer to use mediacodec (SPMC :-)) - has the use of the stagefright-parametes in advancedsettings.xml any effect in this case?

I made lot of tests today - most of the video is interlaced. My impression is, that the video has good sharpeness without using deinterlace. But then you have a lot of interlace-effects (depending on original-video), some videos are becoming unwatchable in this way.
When I switch interlace On, then the video losses sharpness... Is there an option/parameter to improve or modify that?

Thanks
SaEt9000

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Options to improve SD-video quality ?0