Choppy Video in New Version
when you play the sample clip in your build does it do the
"avi:odml:building odml index (2 superind..."
message?

i did a clean install (or at least what i think is a clean install) mimicked your settings, and it still chokes.

if you could, please, elaborate on the proper way to update releases. (ie. delete "savegame" info for xbmc and the old files. copy over new build, restart xbox.)

i read somewhere else about someone having a similar problem with an update and needing to almost erase and re-build the whole box in order to get properly updated.

off subject: i thought that trellis quantization caused lower quality in the less obvoius parts of the picture in an attempt to lower bandwidth. you seem to know alot about encoding, do you have any personal tips that you could offer?
no rebuilding of index's. are you using the current cvs mplayer.dll? to simplify matters you could use the latest t3ch release 6/6/6. the codec dlls in the t3ch build are correct.

you wont have to rebuild your xbox Smile if youve cleaned out e:\tdata and udata for 0face008 and deleted out your old xbmc files you'll be good to go.

peoplehave varying ideas about image quality and hence all the debates about how metrics like psnr isnt real world relevat. my tip is to ditch mpeg4-asp and join the goodness with matroska and high profile avc - all of which xbmc can support if encoded correctly.
ok, even though i didn't have to i rebuilt the box using the ltools installer. it's running pbl metoo and the evox m8 bios. then i copied over the t3ch 666 build. after a reboot i went to the sample clip and it chokes before the end of the warner bros marquee. this is without modifying any settings at all.

ideas?
the only difference between my results and yours now i can think of is that i am using a compile done today by myself, and that cvs has resolved some issue since the 6/6/6. that is a guess though.
that gives some hope. i suppose the other element to this is that so few people have had issues with this. i'll post here if there are any new developments.

off topic: i looked around for a high profile h.264 vfw codec and couldn't find anything that i could use. main concept makes an encoder, but i'm not impressed with the interface. also, xvid offered a "constant quanitization" option, but i don't think that h.264 supports this, so what is the average bitrate you run your movies at? pointers and program recomendations would be helpful.
for those of you following this thread please take the time to download this clip as well and see how it plays in any release since the begining of may:

http://67.169.253.59:81/files/sample2.avi

this is the opening title sequence of xmen1 and is almost all i frames because of how complex the motion is.

it is my understanding that there is a commandline script that is sent to mplayer that indicates how the player opens and what files it opens and plays. is there any possiblity that the commandline script was altered in the early may releases that might cause this, because i've tested the new releases with older mplayers and they behave pretty much the same, so it may be how mplayer is envoked.

lets keep this alive until we locate the problem.
thanks for all your help everybody.
i'm having a similar problem. i loaded the 6/6/6 build and have had trouble watching iso files via nas/xbms. some work fine, but others choke. i've been able to watch the files that choked on my pc, so i don't think the problem is with the files.

priot to uploading the 6/6/6 build, i erased all xbmc files and cleared the udata and tdata 0face008 folders. Image
compiled today and no problem with sample 2, despite the high encoded bit rate.

i am running upscaling to 1080i as well.

btw, there is a new t3ch release, try it.
if problems persist with the latest t3ch install with a clean build, please submit a *properly* formatted set of bug reports (including full debug logs) onto the sourceforge tracker as per the instructions contained within the xbmc manual.
the sample works fine for me also. on my video i was having trouble with i took the res off of auto and tried 1080 still no good. then tried 720 ans it worked for me. its strange...all other ones worked fine on auto and 1080
hi

had same issue with CVS_2006-07-25-T3CH build. playing h.264 HD movs of the latest apple mac ads was hopeless - dropping frames all the way through. Also, some standard res h.264 trailers of pirates of the carribean were the same. all were played from hard drive.

I checked settings and noticed the movie buffer size from hard drive media was only 512K not 2048K as for plaing from optical media. changed buffer size accordingly, restarted and hey presto, no more stuttreing for any vids. perfect playback - no dropped frames.

now, if only the HD superman returns trailers could be made to play Wink

sem
I have been having the same problem. I have imdb info loaded for around 1400 video files. The database performance is pretty sluggish. When I go into My Videos and pull info for any of the movies it takes about 10 seconds before it comes up. Older versions of XBMC didn't track media files usage. The new versions update the database when you play a file to indicate that you have played it. If your database it pretty big like mine this means XBMC is accessing the database during the first 10 seconds of meda playback. I can't pull up the OSD menu or pause the video during this time period. If there was a way to disable media history, then there would be a work-around. The other option would be to only start video playback after the database has been updated.

Here's what I did to "fix" the problem. I renamed the MyVideos31.db file in the userdata\database folder then I rebooted. After that the stuttering went away.

Try it and see if that's your problem.
PunisherAG Wrote:I have been having the same problem. I have imdb info loaded for around 1400 video files. The database performance is pretty sluggish. When I go into My Videos and pull info for any of the movies it takes about 10 seconds before it comes up. Older versions of XBMC didn't track media files usage.

Thats exactly the problem I've had. I have a media library of around 3000 videos and its taking 25+ seconds to view IMDB info and I cannot use the OSD once the video is playing for at least 120 seconds... Its driving me nuts! Please make this new "feature" user selectable or find a way to stop it locking up the UI for such a long time.
Just remove the db file in the meantime. The video db has not been optimized, and will not be optimized until after 2.0, where it'll get a rewrite.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy Video in New Version0