Best practices on building a library?
Attempted to post this to "Off Topic" as it's a bit off-topic, but the forum there says I don't have permission to that resource (Huh) MODS - feel free to move. I'm guessing it may be my low post count?

I have a huge amount of physical media for both audio and video (literally thousands of titles) that I plan to convert to digital format. I don't have any concerns over the tools required to do the conversion, but I am a bit perplexed on how to efficiently / logically catalog everything. I plan to house all my DVDs as ISO and audio will encode at varying bitrates depending on what I want the end product to sound like on playback. So I'm not too worried about the encoding stuff, but feel free to offer comments in the name of building an informative thread...

Getting things like IMDB hooks, related artwork, etc are areas I've never really ventured into - and I'd like my Kodi "user experience" to be as good as possible.

I tried to search for threads on the topic and found nothing.

So - can anyone point me to resources that discuss building a personal digital archive and best practices? Anyone have some "lessons learned" they care to share? Are the plugins, etc that I need to investigate to make my library a thing of beauty?

I hope that someone has really gone "all out" with this and is using a database to manage files / titles - I'd like for a title display to include characters that typically an OS alone won't tolerate (in filenames) like "*" (e.g. *Batteries Not Included) and "?" (e.g. What About Bob?)

TIA
Try mediabrowser 3 then serve it to xbmc with xbmb3c ... That's what I'm doing atm.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.p...99-xbmb3c/
Should be plenty of information on there for you.
You'll need to install mb3 server first, more information on that here...
http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.p...ws-server/
There are Linux and ios variants too
I've been using xbmc for several years now but within 12 months I've upgraded to using a centralized mysql database and adding a few other boxes. It's the one thing that I can recommend if you're planning on having more than one box. Also, I've recently used MediaElch to properly add/create nfo files for accurate scrapping and art downloading. I'd say that may be the first step that you're looking for....

Hopefully this helps.
(2014-09-22, 02:32)madmillington Wrote: Try mediabrowser 3 then serve it to xbmc with xbmb3c ... That's what I'm doing atm.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.p...99-xbmb3c/
Should be plenty of information on there for you.
You'll need to install mb3 server first, more information on that here...
http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.p...ws-server/
There are Linux and ios variants too
Thanks - just spent some time looking over this thread - definitely sounds worthy of investigation.
(2014-09-22, 02:50)Harvdigits Wrote: I've been using xbmc for several years now but within 12 months I've upgraded to using a centralized mysql database and adding a few other boxes. It's the one thing that I can recommend if you're planning on having more than one box. Also, I've recently used MediaElch to properly add/create nfo files for accurate scrapping and art downloading. I'd say that may be the first step that you're looking for....

Hopefully this helps.
Thanks - I actually just started looking over the MySQL stuff after seeing a similar comment on the thread I mentioned above. MediaElch sounds like a good tool to have with what I'm undertaking.....
The good thing about the mb3 server is you can get apps to stream your media to devices.
I use rokus, android tablet and windows phone. It's fantastic...
All the metadata that is scraped can be edited from within the web client if it's not to your liking.
You can also create profiles, within those you can restrict content based on ratings etc... Awesome if you have young kids.
We have an entire set of updated wiki pages about this that can be seen here: adding videos to the library (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best practices on building a library?0