Any way at all to share addons across XBMC instances?
I know it's not supported or recommended, but I want to take that risk and do it on my own (w/ your help to start me off with). I have 3 XBMC windows machines and I'd like video and program addons to be in sync and not have to install an update on each machine when something comes up. It would also serve as a bonus if the skin/layout is the same.

What I've tried so far:
  • Apparently, pathsbustituions worked at one time, but Gotham 'broke' this?
  • Symlink won't work with network paths
  • dropbox - data must be in the dropbox folder, I can't choose XBMC folder
  • backup plan - Copy/Paste entire XBMC folder from my main install into the others and update periodically

Any other options out there that I missed? Anyone doing this successfully?
No idea if this would work or not, but the first thing I would try is using rsync to synchronize the different installations. Setup one as the 'master' and then replicate it to the other machines. Each installation would have it's own copy of the addons/settings after replicating.

I don't use windows but assume there is something rsync-like that would work.

Again, no idea if this would work at all but it's what I would try.
Allways Sync freebie might do the trick for you.

http://allwaysync.com/

I've used it for a variety of tasks similar to this successfully.
Maintain a master on your server. For addons you need the addons direcotory and the userdata/addons_data directory.

Write a script to start XBMC after you have used wget or curl to download the master to your machine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any way at all to share addons across XBMC instances?0