XBMC videos stutter every minute
Hello all,

After updating to 13.2, I get a stutter every minute or so in video files. It doesn't matter what format or resolution, it just stutters. Audio plays just fine, but every minute or so the video hangs for a second, then catches up to the audio, and all is good for another minute or so.

I've tried messing with the audio device settings per some suggestions on the forums, but I don't think this is the same issue as others have experienced. I am playing files using XBMB3C, but they are direct play, and xnappo confirmed from my logs that I'm playing directly from SMB, not streaming. I notice the same stutter in the interface as well. 13.1 did not have this issue. My setup:

Windows 7
XBMC 13.2 stable running Aeon MQ5 MB3 skin
XBMB3C setup to direct play from file server
intel core i5
GeForce 750Ti
8 gigs of RAM

Server Setup:

Windows Home Server 2011
MB3 Server

Network connections are CAT6 with Gigabit capable hardware. Wireless is not used.

Thanks,

-Tad
Anyone have any ideas?
bump. Same problem here, only it's much more often than once every minute, and is especially bad on panning or scenes with a lot of horizontal motion. It's almost like it pauses on one frame for about 100ms, then skips forward an equal amount. Video files -- all .MKVs -- are fine and play normally in VLC Player.
Debug log?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
I have the same issue with local files and I also happen to have an Nvidia 750 Ti and a pretty high end CPU (especially for a machine running XBMC/Kodi), the i7 4771 running @ 3.5 Ghz.

I've noticed that when it happens, frame are skipped, according to the info you get by pressing the 'i' button. I've looked through my logs and found nothing that even remotely looks like a reference to what's going on.

Only other difference is that this is happening to me on the new betas (first v14 Beta 1, and now Beta 2).

I'm running the 344.48 drivers, gonna update to 344.65. It makes sense that is is probably a driver issue, I never had this problem with 13.2.

EDIT: It didn't help.
BUMP

Has anyone looked into this? I'm waiting on Beta 3 to see if this has been addressed, I assume its really Nvidia's fault as this never happened to me on 13.2 Gotham, but that doesn't mean XBMC doesn't still potentially have some issue, because this isn't happening on any other program I use.
While you are waiting for beta 3, Team Kodi is still waiting for a Debug Log with debug logging enabled and after you reproduced your issue.
I already addressed that:

(2014-11-12, 01:52)rd1979 Wrote: I've looked through my logs and found nothing that even remotely looks like a reference to what's going on.

Nothing shows up in any logs. All I notice is the skip, and the drop in frames noted by the data from pressing the info button.
But either way, you want a debug log? You'll get a debug log.
Well not me...you want to get this solved. I dont really care if you post a Debug Log or not. But the chance, that one of the devs might see something you didn't, is higher as if you dont provide one. So I would give this a try Wink
(2014-11-17, 00:33)David1977 Wrote: Well not me...you want to get this solved. I dont really care if you post a Debug Log or not. But the chance, that one of the devs might see something you didn't, is higher as if you dont provide one. So I would give this a try Wink

Well, I have one ready.
I have the same thing happening after upgrading from an AMD 6800K to Intel 4690K i5

I have a Radeon Sapphire R9 270x, not nVidia
I suffer from the same symptoms Confused

The only thing I have changed is an upgrade from Gotham to Helix. For 2 weeks now I have been trying different settings in both Kodi and Windows without any improvement. Gotham did not have any trace of this issue.

My setup is:
HTPC: ASRock Vision HT; i5-4200M; 1x4GB; Intel HD Graphics 4600; 1TB HDD
TV: LG 55LA620V
AUDIO: LG BB5530AN
so many YMMV issues, it doesn't even matter if u got a super fast computer/great vid card, or solid fast internet..theres always gonna be issues with buffering video!

#dealwithit
are you playing in true fullscreen or using a fullscreen window? i get some hiccups when using windowed mode
Same problem here. Happened with 13.2 and now with 14.2. Stutter was gone in 14.0.

Every once in a while video stutters for a brief second, mostly in high action or panning parts of the movie.

True full screen, and HW shouldn't be the problem. Happens in mostly, but not limited to, 1080p .mkvs.

HW:
i3-4310T
128 SSD
8GB RAM
Videos are stored in internal WD 3.5" Red drives

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC videos stutter every minute0