XBMC videos stutter every minute
Especially stutters during panning scenes sounds like a mismatch between the htpc and the TV regarding the refresh rate.
Maybe changing the motion control of your TV helps, too.
In my case, I dont think that's the problem. My Samsung TV is and has been able to change refresh rate flawlessy. Only thing changed is kodi version from 14.0 to 14.2.
Did you press "o" during playback to check what kodi is doing when the stutter happens? It will show you the input of output of kodi during playback.
(2015-04-08, 03:08)wes paich Wrote: are you playing in true fullscreen or using a fullscreen window? i get some hiccups when using windowed mode

I have tried both options. Playback gets totally shredded when using windowed mode so true fullscreen is the only possibility for me.
HTPC: ASRockVision HT; i5-4200M; 1x4GB; Intel HD Graphics 4600; 1TB HDD
TV: LG 55LA620V
AUDIO: LG BB5530AN

(2015-04-08, 10:36)barenaked Wrote: Especially stutters during panning scenes sounds like a mismatch between the htpc and the TV regarding the refresh rate.
Maybe changing the motion control of your TV helps, too.

I have been looking to that and tried different settings. No luck.
I normally keep such extras switched off on my tv

(2015-04-08, 15:02)barenaked Wrote: Did you press "o" during playback to check what kodi is doing when the stutter happens? It will show you the input of output of kodi during playback.

Hi,

I have been analyzing that data and every stutter is registered as skipped frame(-s) or drop. This will add up to hundreds or even thousands missed frames per movie.
I try to insert a printscreen / pic egzample in this post (this will be the first)
http://imgur.com/36YQHOB

The last line starting with "S" is strange, I don't recognize it. Is there any post processing or deinterlacing active? During playback go to the video tab and disable post processing and set deinterlacing, method and scaling to auto.
It's really trial and error here.

One last resort could be resetting kodi to factory settings and starting from scratch. That way any setting causing this should be gone.
At Settings->Video->Playback disable Sync playback to display and set Adjust display refresh rate to match video to On start/stop
(2015-04-08, 22:25)barenaked Wrote: The last line starting with "S" is strange, I don't recognize it. Is there any post processing or deinterlacing active? During playback go to the video tab and disable post processing and set deinterlacing, method and scaling to auto.
It's really trial and error here.

One last resort could be resetting kodi to factory settings and starting from scratch. That way any setting causing this should be gone.

Hi barenaked,

I appreciate you helping me!

The S-line is only shown when the SYNC PLAYBACK TO DISPLAY-option is enabled. I have tried having this both enabled and disabled. When enabled I get smoother playback BUT the original problem persists.

I had postprocessing disabled and deinterlacing set to auto as you sugggested.

Last week I also did a clean install with default settings. That did not solve my problem...

(2015-04-08, 23:14)afedchin Wrote: At Settings->Video->Playback disable Sync playback to display and set Adjust display refresh rate to match video to On start/stop

That was interesting, afedchin!

Your suggestion takes away the regular video paus every minute or so and decreases frame drops and skips but at the same time makes the playback terrible on panning or scenes with a lot of horizontal motion.

ok so my problem seemed to be the new network adapter / my router having conflicts. I had to set my new NIC to a static IP for it to actually get an IP under my router's DHCP table. Once I did that, it seems smooth.

Probably YMMV and not the issue you guys have but it's worth checking.

P.S. I never ever use windowed mode.
I just want to report that I finally got it!

After weeks of tweeking with KODI, my tv, thpc, soundsystem I decided to give the new KODI Beta 1 a go and then the magic happened.

HAIL ISENGARD!!!

I do not know what was wrong with HELIX but definitely there was something fishy there. The same settings in GOTHAM and in ISENGARG work as a charm but HELIX was nothing but trubble.

So my advice is go for ISENGARD if you have playback problems!

/BadIdea

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC videos stutter every minute0