Win HTPC build concept
Hi guys,
I am looking to build a HTPC and would like to have your opinion on my ideas on a build.

Background
Firs of all, I think it's important to know what I am looking to achieve. The HTPC will be the first thing to improve my current setup, and I hope to continue the improvement with a new amplifier and speakers in a near future. For not I want to improve my capacity to read multiple types of video files and the possibility to read Bluray and to be able to read region 1 and 2 discs. I also want to be able to use the HTPC to go on internet and use it as a replacement for a laptop I don't use because of a lack of proper (comfortable) using space. So the idea for me would be to run the computer on Windows, to make it easy to use it as a computer to go on internet and perform other task that I can easily perform on windows (sync the iPod/iPhone, manage my e-book library for my ebook reader, etc).

Note : I may wait for the release of Windows 10, so the choice of some components may change during the next 6 months, depending on the release of new products. I will try to keep this post updated for people who want to use the provided information for their own build.

Requirements and goal
The features that I need are
- WiFi (no easy access to my wired network)
- HDMI out (that will be used for sound and image)
- 8 chanel audio (as I don't know what sound system I will get or how many speakers, better be ready)

Feature that I will not include
- IR remote (it can be nice, but I can control my TV or iTunes with my iPod, so why not Kodi ? and there is an app for that)

Goal
- Improve cable management in a small case by reducing wire to the minimum
- Power efficiency
- Silent build (try to use less fan, and component that generate less heat)
- Of course, budget. Buying a more expensive part must be explained by achieving one of the build's goal or an improvement to the tree previous goals. I will not pay more for performance improvement that I don't need.

Current build
Case: Silverstone ML03
Mobo : ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
CPU :
RAM :
Power supply : Silverstone ST30SF
Drive 1 : Transcend MTS400 128GB M.2-2280
Drive 2 :
Disc :

The discussion on the choices of the different parts will be discussed in the following post. Not up to date yet.

First draft
The Case
For the case, I am looking at a case that would stack with a standard sized amplifier. If I am to put them both in a cabinet, they would look better if they are the same width, and you know, it would look cool too. I limited my choice to low profile cases that are about 10 cm high, but other full height cases are available, for example form SilverStone, that are 16 cm high and could accommodate full size pci cards.

Silverstone ML03
This case is my choice because I like the design, it is cheap and have plenty of opening for air to circulate. On the down side, it can be tricky to fit a ATX12V power supply as it can make it hard to install the DVD/Bluray player. The choice of the right PSU is going to be important to make it easier to build everything.
Ref : Bit-tech review

Silverstone ML04
Mostly like the ML03, but with a door on the front panel, for the people who prefer to hide their disc reader.

Lian-Li PC-C37
Really nice case, and the review I saw did not mention any space problems for the PSU and disc reader, but for about 100$ more than the ML03, my choice is simple.

X-Case Q4
The Q4 seems interesting with it's included IR remote, but the lack of top and side opening scares me a bit, before buying it I would also want to know what is the included 400w power supply, is it modular, is it 80+ ...). Unfortunately, there is not much review available online

The OS drive
It might sound strange to put this piece as the second one to select, but it should quickly make sense. While looking for different parts, I found that there is a new kind of SSD drive, using the new M.2 connector, so you can connect your drive directly on the motherboard, without the need of any wire, and on top of that, the theoretical speed is better for M.2 than for sata 6Mb. So, the idea is that we can install the OS and software on a SSD without having to put a SSD drive in the case, from that point, we already reduce the number of wire the size of the component in the case. Right now it's possible to find the exact same memory in sata or M.2, Of course, the price is a bit higher for the M.2 version. You can easily find one for under 100$ for 128 Gb and it should be more than sufficient to install the OS, Kodi and some basic software Of course the technology is still new and should improve in the next couple of months so we can see more reviews, more products and maybe some price drops.

For now, I would select the Transcend MTS400 128GB M.2-2242 or MTS800 M.2-2280, both at the same price. The final choice is only a question of compatibility with the motherboard (2242 on ASRock and 2280 on Asus).

Motherboard
As we selected a M.2 SSD, we need a motherboard with the slot for it. As we have a small case, only microATX or miniITX will fit in it. To get the M.2 connector, we can get it onboard or via a pci-e x4 connector. As the pci-e x4 is rare (if we want to keep the x16 for a possible GPU), this option is not really viable. Then we have the miniITX with a micro pci for the wifi or a microATX with a pci x1 for wifi.

ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
With WiFi, 4k video, and better audio than the Asus cards of the same range, the choice seems obvious. For similar price to the Asus Z97I-Plus, the choice seems obvious to me.

Asus H97I-PLUS
This is the cheapest of the ITX cards available, the H97 chipset does not allow overclocking, but it's not something we are looking for, so no big deal. The main issue is in fact the lack of WiFi and Bluetooth. However, it can easily be added with a mini pci-e card, like the Intel Dual Dand Wireless-AC 7260 Plus Bluetooth, or AzureWave BCM94352HMB (same as on the Asus Z97I-Plus), these would need the pigtail cable and antenna. Other options include the pci-e 1x cards like Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I or Intel 7260HMWDTX1 that are basically a mini pci-e card mounted on a pci-e 1x card, with the wire and antenna included, so it's possible to remove the mini pci-e card and use it alone (might need longer pigrail cable). The last thing to do would be to drill holes in the shield or case to get the antenna out. This would be a great choice if the price difference between this card and the Z97 is more than the price of the WiFi module or you do not need WiFi.

Other
As previously said, the Asus Z97I-Plus fall second after the ASRock, and the H97 is only a valid choice in order to save money, if there is money to save. The two other choices are Asus Maximus cards that are overkill and too expensive for the build. But of course, if you find one of the Maximu for the price of the ASRock, by all means, go for it. If we where to go for a micro ATX, it would have to be cheaper than the Asus H97I-PLUS, I mean, cheap enough to make you forget the size, on the other hand, it make more room for upgrade if needed (GPU,TV Tuner ...)

CPU

RAM

PSU
To chose the proper PSU for this build can be hard and easy at the same time. From the available features in power supply, there is many that where attractive, like the modular cabling, efficiency rating of 80+gold or 80+platinum, fanless, etc. The main problem is that most of the power supply offering these features are big (by that I mean ATX12V form factor) and more than 400w, and they are also on the expensive spectrum.

Silverstone ST30SF
Then, there is this PSU that is not overpowered (300w), small (SFX formfactor), silent (semi-fanless), efficient (80+bronze), haswell ready and cheaper than high end and high performance PSU. The main downside it that it's not modular, but for all the other advantages, I think it's a good compromise. As it got a good review by Jonnyguru, I think the choice is clear.

Storage

Other

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC build concept0