• 583(current)
Release Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Thanks @mikeSiLVO for your dedication at this great skin.

I use it after trying others skins and the look of your skin is the best, although I would like to make you some suggestions to improve it for lower-powered devices:
1) Add setting to disable slide animations
Other skins have a setting to disable slide animations (for example: Estuary skin has the option "Use slide animations").
Because they aren't friendly with lower-end devices, it would be proper to add this setting to your skin too.

2) Add setting to set static the vertical home menu
Almost all skins with vertical home menu (Estuary, Amber, Mimic, etc.) are static menu (if all menu options fit on the screen) and so their menus are very fast because they don't have to scroll all menu options (refreshing that part of the screen) when changing from the selected menu option to the next.
Amber skin has a setting to set static the vertical home menu and I think this setting is nice.

3) Change some services required as dependencies to optional
Running background services on lower powered hardware can have a big impact on CPU load and the services "script.grab.fanart" and "service.library.data.provider" are required as dependencies, but I am not using their functionality, so it would be a good idea if these services were optional and only installed if their functionalities are used.

4) Add the standard Favourites widget
To use the Favourites widget it's necessary to install "script.skin.helper.widgets" and it doesn't allow to delete, rename or change thumbnails in Favourites widget, but it's possible to have this missing functionality using the standard "favourites://" shortcut without installing anything adding this line inside the second <node label="1036"> on shortcuts/overrides.xml file:
Code:
<shortcut label="1036" icon="favourites.png" widget="addon" widgetType="favourite">favourites://</shortcut>

5) Add the Settings widget
Currently, there is no a Settings widget, which would be great to access configuration options from Home without having to load a new configuration screen.

I hope you find these changes useful and add them to the skin.
Thanks.
(2019-08-07, 16:06)mikeSiLVO Wrote: I re-did the code to more follow Estuary and that has been removed cause I personally think it doesn't look good seeing the logos and then a big logo near the plot and stuff.

You can use the mini guide to see logos inline and I can tweak that if you think it is missing something but if you want the logos in the default guide then I'd really need to think about and get some suggestions on the look cause like I said above, seeing the logo twice... Undecided

Darn, I'm gutted that this change was intentional, as a hardcore Kodi PVR user who's been pushing for PVR improvements from the sidelines for years  (I don't think there's many of us), the logos against each channel name was a nice touch.  When browsing the EPG, it's not that often you glance down to the bottom section, only when something really grabs your attention and you're inclined to read more than just the show title.  Pretty much for that reason only, the logos make knowing what channel you're looking at, and to an extent, what page of the guide you're on easier, without having to think too hard about channel numbers or EPG channel order, or looking right down the bottom for the big logo.

You're the boss but I'd really appreciate at least adding it back in as an option because it looks good, it breaks up what it a massive wall of text, fits just fine without any major refactoring of the layout and makes intuitive guide paging easier on the brain.
(2019-08-07, 20:01)beeswax Wrote:
(2019-08-07, 16:06)mikeSiLVO Wrote: I re-did the code to more follow Estuary and that has been removed cause I personally think it doesn't look good seeing the logos and then a big logo near the plot and stuff.

You can use the mini guide to see logos inline and I can tweak that if you think it is missing something but if you want the logos in the default guide then I'd really need to think about and get some suggestions on the look cause like I said above, seeing the logo twice... Undecided

Darn, I'm gutted that this change was intentional, as a hardcore Kodi PVR user who's been pushing for PVR improvements from the sidelines for years  (I don't think there's many of us), the logos against each channel name was a nice touch.  When browsing the EPG, it's not that often you glance down to the bottom section, only when something really grabs your attention and you're inclined to read more than just the show title.  Pretty much for that reason only, the logos make knowing what channel you're looking at, and to an extent, what page of the guide you're on easier, without having to think too hard about channel numbers or EPG channel order, or looking right down the bottom for the big logo.

You're the boss but I'd really appreciate at least adding it back in as an option because it looks good, it breaks up what it a massive wall of text, fits just fine without any major refactoring of the layout and makes intuitive guide paging easier on the brain. 
I totally agree and was gutted yesterday when I lost all my logos at side of each channel, my pver now looks dull and boring with as you said a wall of text Angry  please please add the option back in so we can choose to have logos or not.
I agree it's looking a lot better with the channel logos.

I think it's better to have the option back so we can choose Wink
(2019-08-07, 19:28)patzzz Wrote: Thanks @mikeSiLVO for your dedication at this great skin.

I use it after trying others skins and the look of your skin is the best, although I would like to make you some suggestions to improve it for lower-powered devices:
1) Add setting to disable slide animations

2) Add setting to set static the vertical home menu

3) Change some services required as dependencies to optional

5) Add the Settings widget

Thanks.

1) Maybe but if your device is that slow then probably shouldn't use this skin.

2) I have no idea what you mean.

3) I doubt those services are that resource intensive. Both have been used since original Pi days.

4) I can add that. I don't believe anybody has ever asked before now.

5) Probably not. Is it really that much more time consuming to pick the settings menu/submenu item and open the settings. Why would anyone be changing settings often enough to want such a thing? If your toggling things like that so often then I would look into custom keymaps or something.

(2019-08-07, 20:01)beeswax Wrote: Darn, I'm gutted that this change was intentional, as a hardcore Kodi PVR user who's been pushing for PVR improvements from the sidelines for years (I don't think there's many of us), the logos against each channel name was a nice touch. When browsing the EPG, it's not that often you glance down to the bottom section, only when something really grabs your attention and you're inclined to read more than just the show title. Pretty much for that reason only, the logos make knowing what channel you're looking at, and to an extent, what page of the guide you're on easier, without having to think too hard about channel numbers or EPG channel order, or looking right down the bottom for the big logo.

(2019-08-07, 21:44)Nathcloud9 Wrote: I totally agree and was gutted yesterday when I lost all my logos at side of each channel, my pver now looks dull and boring with as you said a wall of text Angry please please add the option back in so we can choose to have logos or not.
(2019-08-07, 23:09)Pienoet Wrote: I agree it's looking a lot better with the channel logos.

If I am gonna add this back then I would like to improve it if I can.

I could use some info or screenshots of the shape of the logos you guys have.

Are they square, more wide than tall, or a mix of both? Should they be bigger than they were?

Should I show the channel label and the logo, or fallback to label if no logo exists?

Also do you guys not like the mini guide layout which still has this?
(2019-08-07, 00:05)mikeSiLVO Wrote: Alright, alright, I get it. I'll add the option back to move the OSD buttons to the bottom.

Feels like I never heard the end of it when I switched it originally and now the opposite happens when I move it back... Confused
Thank you Mike.
(2019-08-07, 19:28)patzzz Wrote: 2) Add setting to set static the vertical home menu

(2019-08-08, 00:24)mikeSiLVO Wrote: 2) I have no idea what you mean.

2) The vertical home menu with Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO move all menu options when changing from the selected menu option to the next:

With Estuary and others skins the vertical menu is static and no menu option is moving when changing from the selected menu option to the next:

Is it possible to add an option to make the vertical menu static as in other skins?

4) Here a user asked to remove favorites from the favorites widget and I proposed adding this functionality by editing the XML because using "script.skin.helper.widgets" isn't possible.
(2019-08-08, 11:01)patzzz Wrote: 2) The vertical home menu with Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO move all menu options when changing from the selected menu option to the next:

With Estuary and others skins the vertical menu is static and no menu option is moving when changing from the selected menu option to the next:

Is it possible to add an option to make the vertical menu static as in other skins?

4) Here a user asked to remove favorites from the favorites widget and I proposed adding this functionality by editing the XML because using "script.skin.helper.widgets" isn't possible.

Yeah that's ugly, will fix that. No setting cause the fixed option shouldn't have worked like that to begin with.

I meant nobody has asked me specifically. Somebody may have asked in a thread but I don't always check all the new threads posted. Hopefully the rest of the community can help out with some of the other threads.

I'm only one person and don't have time to work on the skin, support it here in this thread, and help everyone who posts in the Nox section.

I am also in the process of removing skin.helper entirely since it has been unmaintained for awhile now.
(2019-08-08, 00:24)mikeSiLVO Wrote:
(2019-08-07, 19:28)patzzz Wrote: hanks @mikeSiLVO for your dedication at this great skin.

1) Add setting to disable slide animations2) Add setting to set static the vertical home menu3) Change some services required as dependencies to optional4) Add the standard Favourites widget5) Add the Settings widget

Thanks.

1) Maybe but if your device is that slow then probably shouldn't use this skin.

2) I have no idea what you mean.

3) I doubt those services are that resource intensive. Both have been used since original Pi days.

5) Probably not. Is it really that much more time consuming to pick the settings menu/submenu item and open the settings. Why would anyone be changing settings often enough to want such a thing? If your toggling things like that so often then I would look into custom keymaps or something.
(2019-08-07, 20:01)beeswax Wrote: Darn, I'm gutted that this change was intentional, as a hardcore Kodi PVR user who's been pushing for PVR improvements from the sidelines for years (I don't think there's many of us), the logos against each channel name was a nice touch. When browsing the EPG, it's not that often you glance down to the bottom section, only when something really grabs your attention and you're inclined to read more than just the show title. Pretty much for that reason only, the logos make knowing what channel you're looking at, and to an extent, what page of the guide you're on easier, without having to think too hard about channel numbers or EPG channel order, or looking right down the bottom for the big logo.

(2019-08-07, 21:44)Nathcloud9 Wrote: I totally agree and was gutted yesterday when I lost all my logos at side of each channel, my pver now looks dull and boring with as you said a wall of text Angry please please add the option back in so we can choose to have logos or not.
(2019-08-07, 23:09)Pienoet Wrote: I agree it's looking a lot better with the channel logos.

If I am gonna add this back then I would like to improve it if I can.

I could use some info or screenshots of the shape of the logos you guys have.

Are they square, more wide than tall, or a mix of both? Should they be bigger than they were?

Should I show the channel label and the logo, or fallback to label if no logo exists?

Also do you guys not like the mini guide layout which still has this?
@mikeSiLVO here some of my channel logos
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

For me personnely only to show the channel logo.

And yes i like the miniguide
Australian Free To Air TV channel logos... https://ufile.io/ypg1eult
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Pienoet @Karellen Can you guys try the changes on GitHub and let me know of any issues or if you have any suggestions for changes/improvements?
Sorry for the ultra noob question, but how do enable the mini-guide?

Also, I am not seeing any logos next to channel numbers. Is that the change you made?

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Quote:Sorry for the ultra noob question, but how do enable the mini-guide?

Quote:Also, I am not seeing any logos next to channel numbers. Is that the change you made?

I'll try the Git version tomorrow evening but this is how my EPG pre-7.0.3 looked:

I'm not sure where the channel logos are stored. Back in the old days, DVBViewer used to have a folder where you'd have to store them and then the Kodi would need pointing at it but for a while now, the DVBViewer backend/addon handle logos transparently without any configuration in Kodi being needed.

The mini-guide is all well and good for those that can tolerate so few channels being visible at once but unfortunately for me, I'm not one of them.
  • 583(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox: SiLVO55