Kodi/XMBC no smartphone bluetooth remote control
Hi,

after searching the internet and especially the forum, I came to the conclusion:

There is currently no support for controlling Kodi over a smartphone with bluetooth.

Am I right?
The thing is, due to the facts that bluetooth (bt 4.0 low-energy) is less energy hungry than wifi and people without a wifirouter but bluetooth dongle can control their home theater, it would be nice, to have such a feature.
I've already started coding for a bluetooth service, but I have some further questions to clarify things, where I couldn't found an official statement.

1) Kodi comes (is running) with Python 2.7?
2) By default, no bluetooth library like pybluez is included?
3) Are there developers they already have started something like this?
4) Did I miss something?

Greetings
1. correct
2. correct
3. some did in the past but never finished. Here's one https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/33 There are likely more
4. don't know
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks for the fast reply.
Oh I see. They didn't choose the way with a service add-on, but wanted to make the implementation of the bluetooth service right into the Kodi sourcecode itself.
in general we are heading towards doing binary addons so if it could be done that way it would be preferred
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
how about establishing a network connection over bluetooth between mobile and htpc and just use any remote app then?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Martijn: Okay, I'll have a look into the developer subforums for further information about how to do so.

@Memphiz: That's the plan or what other method you are thinking of? Do you mean htpc in general not only Kodi?
If you have a rooted Android device, or a jailbroken iOS device, then this is actually possible. There are apps that emulate a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and it actually works quite well. I've used this often on my iPhone when I needed an "emergency" bluetooth keyboard. Someone could even use that as a starting point to make a "remote control" layout of buttons on the screen.

For Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ueputdroid

For jailbroken iOS look up "WeBe++" on Cydia.
The main idea is, providing something like a bluetooth API, where apps like Yatse or XMBC Remote can use.

Smartphone (Bluetooth on) <--- USB Bluetooth Dongle ---> Computer => Paired connection established

App --> Check paired bluetooth devices --> Check Kodi bluetooth service is running --> Sending commands --> Kodi bluetooth service is listening --> Either calls direct functions or make use of EventBus/D-Bus/JSON-RPC.

That are the basic thoughts.
I think with WeBe++ it's possible since that's using the open source BTStack library. At least, it's the same guy who makes both. Not sure about the other one or Android in general. You'd have to convince the guys who make the smartphone apps, though.
@0rbit its obvious that you don't want to do what i proposed but rely on bluetooth direct connection without having a normal tcp/ip connection over bluetooth.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
As another option, could this be done with something like Unified Remote?

I had that up and running on my Pi (OpenElec RC2) after installing the server on it. I've used it before via bluetooth on my PC for general control, but I must admit I didn't check if the Pi could support it or not via BT (I don't have a bluetooth dongle plugged into my Pi) although it works via wifi (although the server needs to be started via SSH, which isn't ideal but could maybe be tweaked).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@Memphiz: Sure that we don't talk at cross-purposes? I think thats exactly how I want to connect between the devices, or do I miss the point?
Well my point was - isn't there some solution already which allows to create a tcp/ip network over bluetooth? If thats the case then you don't need a special remote or special handling for bluetooth in XBMC/Kodi. Once both devices are connected via TCP/IP its no difference to if they are using wifi or bluetooth.
I think I got you.
You think of bluetooth connection working with tcp protocol and Kodi can handle it over UPnP(whats already integrated)?
righto

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi/XMBC no smartphone bluetooth remote control0