Kodibuntu on Intel NUC
I have no experience with Linux and HTPCs and plan to buy a NUC, use Kodibuntu as OS and propably am going to use Steam In-Home Streaming.

Hardware:
  • D34010WYK (Because i5 is overkill and I don´t want to risk performance problems.)
  • Kingston HX316LS9IBK2/8 (I know that is not on Intels recomended RAM list, but I heard, that some of the recomended ones don´t work and I think these are made for that kind of usage.)
  • Samsung MZ-MTE120BW (I don´t even need that much right?)

I have got a NAS with all the videos on it, so I don´t really need much space (although I don´t know how much the OS will use).

About Kodibuntu:
Are there any issues I am going to be confronted with, as someone, who has never used LInux?
Is the hardware good enough, to stream 1080p mkv files from the NAS?
I really want to be able to use a remote control, but have no Idea, which one would work best, and how to get it working.

About Steam:
Is it actually posssible to stream games, that would not work on Linux from my Windows Pc to the NUC?
Can I start Big Picture Mode directly from Kodi, or do I have to enter the Kodibuntu desktop?
Would a Kodibuntu - Steam OS Dual Boot actually be a good Idea?
(2014-12-29, 01:12)0kin Wrote: Are there any issues I am going to be confronted with, as someone, who has never used LInux?

"confronted"? the terminal will be an culture shock Wink
also the system directory structure is far away from the shitty "C:\"

(2014-12-29, 01:12)0kin Wrote: Is the hardware good enough, to stream 1080p mkv files from the NAS?

Stream over Lan? WLan, both seems enough ... but I prefer Gbit Lan over Wireless Lan.
CPU and GPU performance are far enough only some hi10p 1080p anime encodings with evil ass-subtitle are maybe not the best choice but the bottleneck is the super hyper fancy mega stylish ass sub Wink

(2014-12-29, 01:12)0kin Wrote: I really want to be able to use a remote control, but have no Idea, which one would work best, and how to get it working.

Use the Amazon FireTV Stick Remote for 14$ is awesome maybe import tax are bad Smile
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LORGAG6
it works out of the box with xbmc (in my case openelec)
(2014-12-29, 03:42)Plany Wrote: "confronted"? the terminal will be an culture shock Wink
also the system directory structure is far away from the shitty "C:\"

Sounds fun

(2014-12-29, 03:42)Plany Wrote: Stream over Lan? WLan, both seems enough ... but I prefer Gbit Lan over Wireless Lan.
CPU and GPU performance are far enough only some hi10p 1080p anime encodings with evil ass-subtitle are maybe not the best choice but the bottleneck is the super hyper fancy mega stylish ass sub Wink

I use Gigabit Lan, so that should not be a problem.

(2014-12-29, 03:42)Plany Wrote: Use the Amazon FireTV Stick Remote for 14$ is awesome maybe import tax are bad Smile
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LORGAG6
it works out of the box with xbmc (in my case openelec)

Well I life in Austria and amazon.com says, it´s availible in 2-4 months. So I guess I will have to use another one Confused

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu on Intel NUC0