Android DD 5.1 not working over HDMI
Question 
Hi There!

I'm struggling to find a solution to get DD5.1 sound over HDMI. I've already been through all forum and tried different setups, but still no solution...

Here is my setup: Minix X8 -> HDMI -> Sony TV -> SP/DIF -> Sonos Soundbar

Minix is set to HDMI passthrough, and XBMC passthrough is enabled, DD5.1 enabled, transcoding enabled and DTS disabled.

When I play a DD5.1 file from MX Player or 4K player, it works nicely, the soundbar gets the DD5.1 Stream. If I play the same file from XBMC or SPMC, all I get is loud static noise (if i disable DD5.1 in XBMC, I get stereo sound on the soundbar).

If I connect directly the soundbar to the Minix via SP/DIF (then selecting SPDIF passthrough in Minix), all is working fine...

It looks like the soundbar does not recognize the DD5.1 when it is coming from XBMC through HDMI...

Any clue?

Vincent
Please post a screenshot of your audio settings.
I will post screenshots tonight, but basically it's default settings with:

- Enable passthrough: enabled
- Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver: enabled
- Enable Dolby Digital transcoding: enabled
- DTS capable receiver: disabled

On the Minix audio setup, I have:
- No output to USB Audio: On
- Digital Audio auto detection: Off
- Digital Audio output: HDMI passthrough
-
Here are the screenshots:

If you need anything else for analysis, just let me know, I'm really willing to sort this out.
They look sane.

To see what Kodi does & to confirm what we sending, can you post a debug log taken while playing a 5.1 file using these instructions http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/File_manager_access
Here are my logs:

- Minix XBMC, SPDIF passthrough (working fine): Minix XBMC playing AC3 with SPDIF passthrough

- Minix XBMC, HDMI passthrough (static noise): Minix XBMC playing AC3 with HDMI passthrough

I hope you will see something Smile
How did you confirm that sound from mx player was actually 5.1 and not stereo?
AFAIK, Sony TV's do not "re-passthrough" from IN to OUT, only some LG TV's do it, it is against the standard.
I can check with the Sonos controller application (parameters/about) what kind of input is being played, so I can confirm that MX Player do passthrough DD5.1. BTW, if I play a DTS movie from MX Player I do not get sound and Sonos bar says "unknown input", which is normal as it cannot decode DTS.

Sony TV are indeed able to passthrough 5.1: check this article

Thanks a lot for looking into this! Smile
(2015-01-08, 01:20)RtwoDtwo Wrote: Here are my logs:

- Minix XBMC, SPDIF passthrough (working fine): Minix XBMC playing AC3 with SPDIF passthrough

- Minix XBMC, HDMI passthrough (static noise): Minix XBMC playing AC3 with HDMI passthrough

I hope you will see something Smile

To me the properties of the audio seem to match whether using SPDIF direct to the Sonus or HDMI via the TV to the Sonus, which would suggest to me that the TV doesn't like passing on what we send via HDMI, however koying is the expert for Android.
with Fire TV I do have exactly the same problem with HDMI (AVR: Denon 1312, Epson Beamer).

Before I used the PaspberryPI with the same hardware (AVR, cables etc.) without any problem with the sound. After changing to Fire TV, I didn't get work the DD5.1 or DTS sound with HDMI. After some houres I had the idea to use the optical SPIF of the Fire TV (I did change the settings in the Fire TV accordingly).and the AVR - now it is working as expected - DD51. and DTS when available in the stream. So I am happy for the time being (until HD audio will be implemented in Kodi for Android) but I am still confused why DD5.1 and DTS isn't working over HDMI...
Might be an AFTV limitation/bug, then.
There are no differences between HDMI and SPDIF re passthrough inside kodi, on the android platform.
Laola, thanks for the feedback, it's interesting to have the same behaviour on two different Android boxes.
I also read reports of people having to manually select DD5.1 or DTS on their home cinema in order to get 5.1 sound through HDMI, dunno if it is the same problem source...

Laola, it would be interesting if you could try out MX Player (or any other player) and confirm that AC3 and DTS sound are working as expected through HDMI...

Koying, do you know any differences in the way MX Player and XBMC uses the audio ?
I have the same exact problem on OUYA. Everything works fine in 13.2 but in 14.0 I just get static with DD 5.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DD 5.1 not working over HDMI0