Weird KodiBuntu Installation Problem
Greetings:

I am attempting to install KodiBuntu onto my system.

The installation seems to be caught in a loop where it won't install.

I get to a page where the installer gives me a choice to "Erase disk and install Ubuntu". That is what I select and I choose "Continue".

The next page is a page titled "Erase Disk and Install Ubuntu" where it asks me to choose a disk. The disk I want to use is already selected so I select the "Install Now" button.

Then I get a page which looks exactly like the Erase Disk page, only thi one is titled "Installation Type". My chosen disk is still selected, so I select the INstall Now button again.

I get sent back to the first page again, where I am given the choice to "Erase the disk and install Ubuntu".

I repeated the choice as a test 3 times. The same thing happens. I am in some kind of loop where the instll simply does not occur,

Something i clearly wrong with this installation program.

Have I found a bug, or is there some way to get out of this loop that I don't know aboutHuh

Someone please advise.
I have discovered more information about this problem (for those who are interested)...

The problem I am having has to do with previous partitions that are on the hard disk.

There are a number of Fedora partitions on the disk, some of whch are LVM partitions. Unfortunately, Kodibuntu has one inadequacy: it does not have a means of deleting existing partitions that may exist on a disk.

I was able to eliminate the LVM partitions by running a pure Ubuntu 14 live disk, calling up a terminal, and using lvremove to eliminate the LVMs.

I then restarted Kodibuntu and attempted to install it again.

Now I cannot remove the other partitions that exist on the disk. These are not LVM partitions and are not locked. Unfortunately when I attempt to remove them (in order to free up space for the Kodibuntu installation) the "-" and "change" buttons are grayed out. These partitions remain and Kodibuntu itself provides no means of actually removing them.

I really need help on this. I need to know how to eliminate these incompatible partitions, because if I cannot free up space and set a root partition I cannot install the software.

Could someone please advise ASAPHuh
If you have the ubuntu live image load it and format the entire disk. Delete all the partitions and format it ext3. The installer should be able to manage that fine.

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...wHardDrive

Quote:Command Line Partitioning
You'll be using "fdisk" to accomplish this. Refer back to the logical name you noted from earlier. For illustration, I'll use /dev/sdb, and assume that you want a single partition on the disk, occupying all the free space.

If the number of cylinders in the disk is larger than 1024 (and large hard drives always have more), it could, in certain setups, cause problems with:

software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
booting and partitioning software from other OSs (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
Otherwise, this will not negatively affect you.

1) Initiate fdisk with the following command:

sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
2) Fdisk will display the following menu:

Command (m for help): m <enter>
Command action
a toggle a bootable flag
b edit bsd disklabel
c toggle the dos compatibility flag
d delete a partition
l list known partition types
m print this menu
n add a new partition
o create a new empty DOS partition table
p print the partition table
q quit without saving changes
s create a new empty Sun disklabel
t change a partition's system id
u change display/entry units
v verify the partition table
w write table to disk and exit
x extra functionality (experts only)

Command (m for help):
3) We want to add a new partition. Type "n" and press enter.

Command action
e extended
p primary partition (1-4)
4) We want a primary partition. Enter "p" and enter.

Partition number (1-4):
5) Since this will be the only partition on the drive, number 1. Enter "1" and enter.

Command (m for help):
If it asks about the first cylinder, just type "1" and enter. (We are making 1 partition to use the whole disk, so it should start at the beginning.)

6) Now that the partition is entered, choose option "w" to write the partition table to the disk. Type "w" and enter.

The partition table has been altered!
7) If all went well, you now have a properly partitioned hard drive that's ready to be formatted. Since this is the first partition, Linux will recognize it as /dev/sdb1, while the disk that the partition is on is still /dev/sdb.
Greetings:

Thanks for the advice. It turns out that eliminating all partitions really needs to be done with the Ubuntu installation disk. Kodibuntu installation has a number of inadequacies, including an inability to utilize fdisk or the LVM removal utilities.

I learned that really the best way to remove previous partitions is to download Ubuntu, run through the installation to the point where you can remove the partitions, then restart to the Kobuntu installation. I would strongly advise the Kodibuntu people to consider putting more pure Ubuntu installation functionality into the Kodibuntu installation so that others won't have similar problems.

This is just a suggestion, which I doubt will be considered...

Anyway, thanks, jknight2014, for pointing me in the right direction.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird KodiBuntu Installation Problem0