• 48(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
@afedchin - no worries, just wanted to make sure you'd seen it - thanks. Your dx11 work is very much appreciated.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
@all
Please try this build KodiSetup-20151218 (+pdb)
Win7 32-bit w/ Nvidia GTX 480 (edit2: Updated to the latest 390.06 drivers, no change in behaviour. edit1: Haven't touched drivers in a while, 350.12 currently installed.)
video output full RGB
Kodi set for full range output, and calibrated that way
DXVA enabled
black levels incorrect, too bright
http://pastebin.com/gAhc3ej4

(2015-12-19, 08:50)afedchin Wrote: @all
(2015-12-19, 08:50)afedchin Wrote: @all

just tested this version the same way as i described above. but i get the same wrong color room, same behavior like the old 15.2 dx11 version.
Good afternoon,

I have a diferent crash on startup with this test version. When I use only one card Kodi works but with AMD dual graphics active don't work.

only crash with the DX11 version, with normal Isengard DX9 work well

Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD dual graphics activate with AMD Radeon HD 8650D + R7 240
Last AMD drivers Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1

Debug Log

DMP file

Thanks
(2015-12-19, 09:25)_Shorty Wrote: Win7 32-bit w/ Nvidia GTX 480 (edit2: Updated to the latest 390.06 drivers, no change in behaviour. edit1: Haven't touched drivers in a while, 350.12 currently installed.)
video output full RGB
Kodi set for full range output, and calibrated that way
DXVA enabled
black levels incorrect, too bright
http://pastebin.com/gAhc3ej4
Make sure what you have right driver settings in AMD Catalyst Control Center. Seems your setting are wrong. Follow this guide http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=192225

(2015-12-20, 15:53)Ed76 Wrote: just tested this version the same way as i described above. but i get the same wrong color room, same behavior like the old 15.2 dx11 version.
Also make sure what you have correct driver settings. Follow this guide http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=192225

(2015-12-20, 21:05)crown08 Wrote: Good afternoon,

I have a diferent crash on startup with this test version. When I use only one card Kodi works but with AMD dual graphics active don't work.

only crash with the DX11 version, with normal Isengard DX9 work well

Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD dual graphics activate with AMD Radeon HD 8650D + R7 240
Last AMD drivers Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1

Debug Log

DMP file

Thanks
As I said before. Just set single graphic card for Kodi only. Kodi doesn't require dual graphics.
Sorry, but my Nvidia GTX 480 really doesn't like AMD's Catalyst Center. Wink My system is set up correctly.
Sorry, but nVidia Control panel also have similar video settings. I'm not sure what your system is setup correctly because Kodi doesn't apply color correction for full range setting
Standard non-DX11 v15.2 and previous versions display the correct black level. It is only the v16 beta that is showing the elevated black level. My system is set up correctly. And it is calibrated with a meter. Would you like the fL values for regular black with v15.2 and v16 beta black?

Nvidia output settings are set for RGB full range output.
Nvidia video settings are set to adhere to the application's settings.
Kodi is set for full range output.

This is the optimal setup for this system. TV is calibrated using AVS709 patterns played back in Kodi. And as I said, black levels are correct in 15.2 with this setup. Setting to RGB Limited or YCbCr (edit: typo) in Nvidia's control panel is sub-optimal, as it results in a round-trip conversion from 0-255 -> 16-235 -> 0-255 if you use either of those limited settings. But this is besides the point.

The point is, Kodi v16 betas are not outputting the correct video levels. It appears to be outputting 16-235 video even when it is set to output 0-255 video, with the limited range setting being turned off in Kodi. This is exactly the way video looks in 15.2 if the system is calibrated for 0-255 but you set Kodi to use limited range 16-235. Because the system is calibrated for a black of 0 and Kodi is instead feeding the TV a black of 16 it results in a noticeably bright grey instead of black.

When you turn on the limited range setting in Kodi it behaves in 'video pass-through' mode, correct? Outputting video with 16-235 levels. This is expected. But when the limited range setting in Kodi is turned off it is supposed to expand the 16-235 video data to 0-255 and output it as 0-255. This is not happening. With the limited range setting turned off it is outputting 16-235 video when it is supposed to be outputting 0-255 video. I also have a suspicion that I tested with the limited range setting turned on and it made the blacks even brighter, but I will go confirm whether or not this is the case right now.
Well, at least I was wrong about v16 beta 4 with limited being even brighter. It was actually the DXVA test version you just posted that gets even brighter. Here's some brightness measurements I just took now. edit: The black image is a 1920x1080 bmp file with RGB 0-0-0. And all the measurements in Kodi are with the AVS709 black test video.

Black image shown on desktop in Windows Image Viewer
0.022 fL

v15.2 full range with AVS709 black test video
0.022 fL

v15.2 limited range
0.231 fL

v16 beta 4 full range
0.230 fL

v16 beta 4 limited range
0.229 fL

v16 DXVA test version full range
0.229 fL

v16 DXVA test version limited range
0.654 fL

So, given that, I decided to take a guess and measure a couple more images on the desktop. I made a couple of grey images to test. One with RGB of 16-16-16 and one with 32-32-32 to see if I get similar brightness measurements with those.

16-16-16
0.239 fL

32-32-32
0.719 fL

Something's definitely being altered incorrectly in Kodi v16, and especially in that latest DXVA test version. You would think that the test version and limited range would match the 32-32-32 value, since it seems to be converting black to 16 twice, but it did not. So I decided to test with at least one more image on the desktop, but ended up with two more because the first one at 31-31-31 was still brighter than DXVA-test-limited's black.

31-31-31
0.676 fL

30-30-30
0.658 fL

So that last value is close to the DXVA-test-limited value, which would suggest that for some reason that test version's black is being converted to 30 with that limited range setting turned on. In any event, both full range and limited range are incorrect in all v16 betas, including that DXVA test version. In the case of beta 4 both full range and limited range are outputting black as 16, when only limited range should be doing so. But v15.2 behaves as expected, with full range black being 0 and limited range black being 16.
One question, just to be sure, if you open a black image in the picture viewer in Kodi 16, is the image shown brighter? Did I understand you correctly?
Also just checked this now, still in the DXVA test version, and all with full range:

Render method DXVA & allow DXVA2 on
too bright

Render method pixel shaders & allow DXVA2 on
too bright

Render method software & allow DXVA 2 on
too bright

Render method DXVA & allow DXVA2 off
too bright

Render method pixel shaders & allow DXVA2 off
black is correct

Render method software & allow DXVA2 off
black is correct
I haven't checked the black image with Kodi's picture viewer. All those tests were at the desktop using the Windows Image Viewer. I will check with Kodi's image viewer now and see, but given the results of the DXVA toggling that I just did I am thinking it has to do with the DXVA acceleration code.

edit: ok, the Kodi image viewer displays the same results as the Windows Image Viewer. Black 0-0-0 is correct, and 16 and 32 give the same results in both apps, too. So it only seems to be DXVA video output that is affected. So, to clarify since I added the info in an edit to the previous post and you may have missed that, all the Kodi results were with the AVS709 black test video.
(2015-12-21, 10:13)afedchin Wrote: One question, just to be sure, if you open a black image in the picture viewer in Kodi 16, is the image shown brighter? Did I understand you correctly?
Ok. The problem in DXVA only. I've looked at your (I'm sure it was yours) debug log again and I've found what your drivers (I mean implementation of D3D11 Video Processor) doesn't support any color range conversion.
Code:
23:16:55 T:3492   DEBUG: DXVA::CProcessorHD::InitProcessor - Video processor has 0x3 device caps.
(For more details go to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library...s.85).aspx)

From link above we can see what your implementation of Video Processor supports only
Quote:D3D11_VIDEO_PROCESSOR_DEVICE_CAPS_LINEAR_SPACE
The video processor can blend video content in linear color space. Most video content is gamma corrected, resulting in nonlinear values. This capability flag means that the video processor converts colors to linear space before blending, which produces better results.
and
Quote:D3D11_VIDEO_PROCESSOR_DEVICE_CAPS_xvYCC
The video processor supports the xvYCC color space for YCbCr data.

It doesn't support the nominal range conversion.

This is not affected to previously version because before version 16 Kodi uses DXVA processor (DirectX 9) which has a different implementation and can be more functional just because windows 7 is not designed for using D3D11 Video API and supports it "just to check the box". My suggestion is try to upgrade your windows to 8.1 or stay on Kodi 15.2.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks.
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6