v14 playing a web stream
Kodibuntu is great - it delivers movies and TV shows with little effort to configure,-- but it will not deliver web streams! I have a number of reasons for wanting to deliver a web stream to my TV/audio system, one of which is the fact that the Detroit Symphony regularly streams live concerts from Orchestra Hall (www.dso.com/live).

I have read the wiki. I have read the forums. I have created strm files. Nothing I have done has brought me any closer to being able to do this. I could not get this video delivered either ==>> http://www.instantencore.com/video/detai...4ILDGl4a9w

There has to be something simple that I am overlooking. I would really appreciate some help , even though my normal method is to continue banging my head on the wall. I think the folks around me would like the banging noise to stop!!

1)What SPECIFICALLY needs to go into the STRM files for each of these examples? 2) EXACTLY where do I place these STRM files once they are created? 3) What if anything else needs to be done/added/configured (or conjured?) to get these to play.

Thank you very much and best regards.
What else have you installed on the OS? I had the same problem after an install of Chrome.
AFTER I could not get web streams to play I installed the media browser add-on. It did not help with this issue. This installation would not ever play a web stream, and that was my primary purpose for putting it together.
It looks like you may be trying to play the site URL as a stream. You need to find the URL of the raw stream, usually ending with m3u8 .
Ok now for a totally dumb question: how is that done?
(2015-03-09, 23:42)megabill Wrote: Ok now for a totally dumb question: how is that done?

You need to use a tool that allows you to see the low level http transactions as the video is played. Google URL snooper. I've had some luck using the developer tool options on Chrome.
The instantencore link plays in any browser. I have installed url snooper on a ein7 box and an xp box. It finds nothing. Google developer tools in chrome do not provide anything useful either.

I never thought it would be this difficult. I hate to be a pest, but any other ideas on how to get the info I need?
The instantencore video is a You Tube link and can be found by right clicking the link in chrome and selecting save video url. You must have the You Tube add-on in Kodi. The stream url is then:

plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?path=/root/video&action=play_video&videoid=c4ILDGl4a9w

See http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:YouTube
Alternatively you could subscribe to the DSO in the Youtube Addon.

The Live Stream may be more difficult of course.

PS frankly I cannot even open the DSO web site at present!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The DSO site only works during a live stream. Since I am a concert series subscriber, I have emailed their tech staff for help figuring out what the actual stream URL should be. Meanwhile, I am still not able to get other streams to play. Not ANY. URL sniffer was no help, found nothing.
@nickr: It is dso.org, not dso.com, I hope that was just a typo from the OP.
Yes that was just a typo.
(2015-03-10, 16:24)thd042 Wrote: @nickr: It is dso.org, not dso.com, I hope that was just a typo from the OP.

A typo that wasted a good deal of my time bugger it!

Never mind, I wouldn't have 11000+ posts if I didn't have time to waste LOL.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have the youtube add on installed and enabled. However the recommended URL above for the "instantencore" stream still does not play. "Not known format" or some such error.

Sigh. It should not be this difficult.
(2015-03-11, 01:28)megabill Wrote: I have the youtube add on installed and enabled. However the recommended URL above for the "instantencore" stream still does not play. "Not known format" or some such error.

Sigh. It should not be this difficult.

It plays fine on my Kodibuntu Chromebox. Did you copy it and only it to a text file with a .strm extension? Did you save the file to a folder that is sourced by Kodi? It should envoke the Youtube add-on regardless, and if any error is displayed it should be Youtube related. Can you play any links from Youtube?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
playing a web stream0