• 8(current)
Release iPlayer plugin v2.7.1 (new thread)
With the current situation, a temporarily "hacky" plugin with a few hardcoded urls for live, and some website scraping may suffice, but I'm personally reluctant to continue this battle - I'm hoping for a better solution. I want an iPlayer plugin that exists with the blessing of the BBC, as it should be.. the last 5 years of supporting this addon have not been fun - because of the constant cat and mouse games with apis.
(2015-06-03, 01:47)exobuzz Wrote: This is of course all intentional by the BBC. The fact they are closing down old services for a new one, yet keeping that one private (They said last year it would be available to 3rd parties by the end of the year), shows their thinking. They have little care to adhere to their charter, and obligations to the BBC tax payer. This is not the first time they have done this, and despite press like http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/03/..._watching/ they don't seem to care. Time to detune the TV, and stop paying em I think.

They have become self serving imho. The quality of their news in recent years correlates with this to me - they tend to be quite supportive of whoever will ensure the status quo in regards to their funding.

Yes, but look at the alternative model this side of the pond. Public television in the US is DIRE - full of adverts (although they aren't allowed to call them adverts - there is American marketing at it's best..)

Or public radio which is essentially replays of BBC World Service, incredibly dull academic interviews and a couple of awful, unfunny panel shows. And adverts. And then every three months, they break off to a fund raiser which cuts 30% of the programmes away asking for public donations. Awful, awful, awful. And the commercial TV is just utter, utter dross. The two public stations here alone cost me more than the entire licence fee - that's one TV, one radio. Then add the satellite crap and I'm getting through upwards of $400/month for stuff that is unwatchable/unlistenable.

Compare that to BBC2, BBC4, Radio 3, Radio 4, etc at a minimum. Then add the other stuff if that floats-your boat - it is astonishing what we get for almost nothing. Seriously; live over here and the diet of low-quality cop shows, endless adverts for matresses and cars, "reality" (i.e.cheap) shows will really, really get to you. And as for news - don't even get me started. The quality is appalling and banal (tends to be eveything-happy or cat-stuck-up-tree) because they can't afford to p*ss off the advertisers or hire decent journalists. Upshot - most Americans have NO idea what is going on across town; let alone in another country which is seriously worrying.

We get more news about what is going on in America from Radio 4 than from any of the local media - for example, not one local TV station has reported on the deaths due to flooding in Mexico which is technically closer to us than Seattle !

Frankly, we don't know how good we've got it with the Beeb. Annoying though they are !

Anyway, get_iplayer HAS found a way around the current problems - if you clone the latest trunk and look in "develop" you'll see it all in there.....

I wish I had time to take a proper look, but after 4 1/2 years of living in the US, I've had enough and I'm coming home, so I'm in the process of packing boxes. And yes, together with the lack of healthcare, a lack of a functioning media is one of the reasons for coming back.....
(2015-06-03, 01:49)speedwell68 Wrote: Also get_iplayer isn't working either, even with the published work around. So it isn't just Kodi users that are being left high and dry.

There are two work-arounds needed for get_iplayer to function (one for the main metadata caching issue, and a second for the internal script error that's also come up). DinkyPumpkin details the first in his post here and the second in a later post in this thread. I tried both last night and it allows for downloads, although I didn't try live streaming.

But he's also working on a version update (v2.93) of get_iplayer which apparently should be out in the next few days which will include both this fix and one for the live streaming, according to other posts in the squarepenguin forums.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-06-03, 10:00)DarrenHill Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 01:49)speedwell68 Wrote: Also get_iplayer isn't working either, even with the published work around. So it isn't just Kodi users that are being left high and dry.

There are two work-arounds needed for get_iplayer to function (one for the main metadata caching issue, and a second for the internal script error that's also come up). DinkyPumpkin details the first in his post here and the second in a later post in this thread. I tried both last night and it allows for downloads, although I didn't try live streaming.

But he's also working on a version update (v2.93) of get_iplayer which apparently should be out in the next few days which will include both this fix and one for the live streaming, according to other posts in the squarepenguin forums.

You are a star. I hadn't seen the second work around. Thanks. My 5 year old daughter also thanks you as she was not going to be happy unless her daily dose of Bing was in her TV library when she got home from school.

I'd like to thank all the developers of the various iPlayer apps, your work is superb and hopefully you'll all get by these issues in the fullness of time.

Personal rant: When are organisations like the BBC going to learn that you may as well run an open service that allows access to anyone regardless of what software they choose to use. Don't they realise that if I can't get access to what I want via a legitimate source using the software of my choice I will just hit the torrent sites and get it illegally.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
v2.93 of get_iplayer was released about 2 hours ago, not had a chance to test.
(2015-06-03, 15:10)privado Wrote: v2.93 of get_iplayer was released about 2 hours ago, not had a chance to test.

I have just installed the update on my Ubuntu Desktop and it appears to work perfectly again, no need for any of the work arounds.
(2015-06-03, 15:10)privado Wrote: v2.93 of get_iplayer was released about 2 hours ago, not had a chance to test.

Tested and working very well.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Just upgraded it on my media server too and again it functions perfectly, just as before.
Sorry, complete noob here...

I have xbmc running on my minix neo x8-h plus and have found the iplayer add on completely broken as discussed here.

Before i have just gone here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...sp=sharing to get the latest iplayer add on version for kodi/xbmc.

Is get_iplayer different? How do i install get_iplayer v2.93 on kodi/xbmc?

Puzzled...Undecided
(2015-06-03, 20:53)jimardee Wrote: Sorry, complete noob here...

I have xbmc running on my minix neo x8-h plus and have found the iplayer add on completely broken as discussed here.

Before i have just gone here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...sp=sharing to get the latest iplayer add on version for kodi/xbmc.

Puzzled...Undecided

get_iplayer is a command line utility for Windows or Linux PCs. The idea is you download the show in it's entirety and then play it in Kodi or the media player of your choice.

Primarily I have it installed on my Linux media server. I simply SSH into my media server, copy the PID code for the show I want from my browser, paste it into the command in the SSH window and it downloads my show into the relevant folder on my media server. I then update my TV library in Kodi and the show is available in Kodi. You can keep any videos you download, they don't expire after a given time. It also allows you to download multiple episodes in batches. I might not have explained that well. Basically I give a command like this...

Code:
get_iplayer --pid b04h8ky8 --tvmode=best --file-prefix="<nameshort><-senum><-episodeshort>" --output "/media/john/TV/Bing"

It is quite simple once you get the hang of it.
(2015-06-03, 21:18)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 20:53)jimardee Wrote: Sorry, complete noob here...

Puzzled...Undecided

get_iplayer is a command line utility for Windows or Linux PCs. The idea is you download the show in it's entirety and then play it in Kodi or the media player of your choice.

Primarily I have it installed on my Linux media server. I simply SSH into my media server, copy the PID code for the show I want from my browser, paste it into the command in the SSH window and it downloads my show into the relevant folder on my media server. I then update my TV library in Kodi and the show is available in Kodi. You can keep any videos you download, they don't expire after a given time. It also allows you to download multiple episodes in batches. I might not have explained that well. Basically I give a command like this...

Code:
get_iplayer --pid b04h8ky8 --tvmode=best --file-prefix="<nameshort><-senum><-episodeshort>" --output "/media/john/TV/Bing"

It is quite simple once you get the hang of it.

Thanks mate, gotcha!

I will give that a whirl!
So I have installed get_iplayer but how do i start the programme up?

I have found the folder location, what do i need to click on to start it up?

Screenshot below

https://photos.google.com/u/0/album/AF1Q...Pzh9EUpTgj
(2015-06-03, 21:53)jimardee Wrote: So I have installed get_iplayer but how do i start the programme up?

Screenshot below

The link doesn't work.

I use the PID method...

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/tv-download-guide/
(2015-06-04, 01:23)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 21:53)jimardee Wrote: So I have installed get_iplayer but how do i start the programme up?

Screenshot below

The link doesn't work.

I use the PID method...

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/tv-download-guide/

You can also find the PID from the BBC iPlayer website, it's contained within the URL.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2015-06-02, 22:01)irn|bru Wrote: You can still watch all the live streams via the strm files in the zip in my post from page 5 until things get fixed.

Hi bit of a newbie question but where do you put theses files? thanks
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

• 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPlayer plugin v2.7.1 (new thread)0