• 7(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2015-04-05, 23:27)hentai23 Wrote: and an update on the GUI lag ...well according to this thread according to nevcairiel having kodi use a seperate renderer for the OSD elements would fix any said lag , i recon this would be the way to go since any other method such as lowering gpu queue introduces dropped frames in your playback and even then the lowest gpu queue could go is 4 and thats still 4 frames of OSD lag not to mention it about breaks madvr aka tons of dropped frames plus broken deinterlacing galore , not good , apparently zoomplayer uses a algorithm with madvr that fixes the OSD lag , that potplayer nor kodi can do according to him

check out both posts by huhn and nevcairiel here , http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1716167

i knew this wouldnt be a easy fix , damn it

I doubt it can be done with Kodi though. Because we ran Kodi / Playback in fullscreen most of the time. When Video playback is in fullscreen a Video renderer acquired whole device (in this case madVR). Anything writing on it (OSD) even as a layer has to write on it's renderer not a separated one.
(2015-04-06, 03:25)Warner306 Wrote: If using FFDShow to do the image resizing, then I don't think any of the custom algorithms will do much of anything. Either FFDShow does the resizing or madVR.

I'm not using FFDShow to do image resizing, just sharpening. I can see the difference between setting image upscaling to Nearest Neighbor and Jinc-3, but other than that its really hard for me to tell differences between say Jinc and Lanczos. I'm starting to think that SVP pretty much counteracts most of the gain you would get with madVR, as the interpolation may affect the images slightly.

Further, I did manage to stop the 1 frame/sec dropped by increasing the GPU queue in madVR, now its working perfectly it seems.

However, my subtitles in Kodi are gone, I have selected subtitles from the playback GUI, but they dont show up. With EVR subtitles work, what is the difference between subtitle handling between the two, and how do I fix madVR to display subtitles using the GUI in Kodi again?
(2015-04-06, 03:56)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-04-05, 23:27)hentai23 Wrote: and an update on the GUI lag ...well according to this thread according to nevcairiel having kodi use a seperate renderer for the OSD elements would fix any said lag , i recon this would be the way to go since any other method such as lowering gpu queue introduces dropped frames in your playback and even then the lowest gpu queue could go is 4 and thats still 4 frames of OSD lag not to mention it about breaks madvr aka tons of dropped frames plus broken deinterlacing galore , not good , apparently zoomplayer uses a algorithm with madvr that fixes the OSD lag , that potplayer nor kodi can do according to him

check out both posts by huhn and nevcairiel here , http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1716167

I doubt it can be done with Kodi though. Because we ran Kodi / Playback in fullscreen most of the time. When Video playback is in fullscreen a Video renderer acquired whole device (in this case madVR). Anything writing on it (OSD) even as a layer has to write on it's renderer not a separated one.

well i sure as hell hope we can find a solution to this , since OSD lag is apparent for potplayer and mpchc as well , checkout the latest replys over at doom9 ive linked too, as well will i be forwarding a few kodi devs to this thread and doom9s , we ought to get this fixed , not only is the OSD lag horrible even with setting gpu queue to 4 you effectively are getting 4 frames of lag , hardly noticeable but drawback of this is it essentially breakes playback, and even with this , theres still lag as all hell when you backout to kodi GUIs Home screen and navigate around while playback is still active, this really needs fixing, perhaps even a collaboration between kodi devs , aracnoz and madshi

ok so ive opened a thread over at the dev section here :

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223561

now we wait and see what happens , i sure hope they take this request seriously so aracnoz and madshi can help to get this big issue solved not to mention finally dsplayer build receiving the attention it deserves

i dont think this would help any with the current issue , right ?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218274
Do u really have so much lag?, i mean my lag is by no way such a big problem it seems to be for u, or some other guy.
I mean, it is not so urgent for me, but if ur lag is so dramatically noticeable. How is it?
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
(2015-04-06, 10:36)hentai23 Wrote: well i sure as hell hope we can find a solution to this , since OSD lag is apparent for potplayer and mpchc as well , checkout the latest replys over at doom9 ive linked too, as well will i be forwarding a few kodi devs to this thread and doom9s , we ought to get this fixed , not only is the OSD lag horrible even with setting gpu queue to 4 you effectively are getting 4 frames of lag , hardly noticeable but drawback of this is it essentially breakes playback, and even with this , theres still lag as all hell when you backout to kodi GUIs Home screen and navigate around while playback is still active, this really needs fixing, perhaps even a collaboration between kodi devs , aracnoz and madshi

now we wait and see what happens , i sure hope they take this request seriously so aracnoz and madshi can help to get this big issue solved not to mention finally dsplayer build receiving the attention it deserves

It is mainly madVR issue though. I doubt any changes in Kodi would do anything with how madVR rendered and stored frames in advance. Asking Kodi dev to do anything with issue about how madVR works probably won't get anywhere. Especially you are telling other players have the same problem.

I'm quite sure DSPlayer will stay unofficial build and won't get merged into main branch. There are many reasons , mainly it's windows-only , rely on a lot of external elements. While Kodi try to be build as multi-platform and be a complete package as possible. So I saw nothing indicates this would change.

Also migrate to DX11 won't help much in this issue. As madshi said it's how madVR designed to operates. And probably only him who could make significant change to this issue.

For now It maybe probably better to go with previous aracnoz approach. Stop playback when you go back to main menu. I see no benefit of bring up main menu during playback. OK it's cool fancy stuff but is it really serve any purpose? Playback control menu is what we only need during playback and it works really fine here with no noticable lag..

Also good luck with finding Kodi windows dev. Last I heard there was only 1 dev working on specific windows build.
(2015-04-06, 11:38)vicmanpergar Wrote: Do u really have so much lag?, i mean my lag is by no way such a big problem it seems to be for u, or some other guy.
I mean, it is not so urgent for me, but if ur lag is so dramatically noticeable. How is it?

+1
@oldpoem
I agree basically with u, Kodi devs have stated several times about that, and i understand their point of view. It is an free system and they will tell u , u're free to do it urself.
Anyway, do really anyone go to the main menu while playing a movie?. I ask cos i've never do it, specially with Kodi being able to play from the point u left the movie.
Just curious, is ur lag so horrible?
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
(2015-04-06, 11:46)vicmanpergar Wrote: @oldpoem
I agree basically with u, Kodi devs have stated several times about that, and i understand their point of view. It is an free system and they will tell u , u're free to do it urself.
Anyway, do really anyone go to the main menu while playing a movie?. I ask cos i've never do it, specially with Kodi being able to play from the point u left the movie.
Just curious, is ur lag so horrible?

As I've said I rarely bring up main menu during playback, if I did it probably because I accidental hit back button on remote. And my lag is very minimal for my usage. It is close to normal Kodi responsiveness but I do see noticable lag when bring up main menu too. Just I'd think it's not that much lag as hentai-ecchi23 said or at least it's not much of my issue though.
A couple of questions concerning video playback.

Considering that we are using a completely different rendering pipeline (if that's the correct definition), would slow motion and frame by frame advancement be possible? That's a long standing request for XBMC/Kodi.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2015-04-06, 15:20)ashlar Wrote: A couple of questions concerning video playback.

Considering that we are using a completely different rendering pipeline (if that's the correct definition), would slow motion and frame by frame advancement be possible? That's a long standing request for XBMC/Kodi.

The control is still using Kodi interface so I don't think so. Unless aracnoz implemented some shortcut command to do it.
But is that just a problem of interface, right? A way of accessing those playback controls, right?

Edit: when I say "just" I simply refer to the implementation, not to how easy I believe it would be to implement. I'm no coder and I'm only thankful for what's already there.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Would love frame by frame/slow motion function. Would be great if that were possible with DSPlayer.
This is great work. I had lost touch with the DSPlayer builds and didn't realize that they were still being updated for the latest Kodi versions. Now the MadVR support is integrated I couldn't be happier. I ditched my external player setup and have been using the DSPlayer build with MadVR and LAVfilters for the last week with no problems. I don't go back into the menu while playing a video so that issue does not affect me. The only problem I have is a slight audio sync issue but a 0.05ms delay seemed to solve it. Looking forward to seeing how this project moves forward.
(2015-04-06, 17:58)Jdiesel Wrote: This is great work. I had lost touch with the DSPlayer builds and didn't realize that they were still being updated for the latest Kodi versions. Now the MadVR support is integrated I couldn't be happier. I ditched my external player setup and have been using the DSPlayer build with MadVR and LAVfilters for the last week with no problems. I don't go back into the menu while playing a video so that issue does not affect me. The only problem I have is a slight audio sync issue but a 0.05ms delay seemed to solve it. Looking forward to seeing how this project moves forward.

Try using Video Clock (Resample Audio) to keep the audio in sync.

Also, I left the display modes blank in madVR and let Kodi do the refresh rate switching.

And I am using ReClock bitstreaming with "Disable media speed correction" unchecked.

This may sound like a mess, but it is working on a set-up with very stubborn audio sync issues.
(2015-04-06, 10:36)hentai23 Wrote:
(2015-04-06, 03:56)oldpoem Wrote:

well i sure as hell hope we can find a solution to this , since OSD lag is apparent for potplayer and mpchc as well , checkout the latest replys over at doom9 ive linked too, as well will i be forwarding a few kodi devs to this thread and doom9s , we ought to get this fixed , not only is the OSD lag horrible even with setting gpu queue to 4 you effectively are getting 4 frames of lag , hardly noticeable but drawback of this is it essentially breakes playback, and even with this , theres still lag as all hell when you backout to kodi GUIs Home screen and navigate around while playback is still active, this really needs fixing, perhaps even a collaboration between kodi devs , aracnoz and madshi

I like that you asked Team Kodi to make DSPlayer more relevant in the Kodi community. But it appears obvious that you can't simply fork the code into the main branch without dedicating a small team of people to looking after it. I'm sure at least one of them knows the new DSPlayer exists. Their unwillingness to say "that's cool what you have done with DSPlayer, especially the madVR integration" because I like Kodi is strange.

I think you are trying to open a whole can of worms that has already been opened by aracnoz and other DSPlayer developers at some point. The case for a high-end Kodi experience on Windows exists. But there is probably a logical reason why Team Kodi stays clear of DSPlayer. I don't agree that the menu gui lag is that serious, but I do agree that members of Team Kodi could be of use in improving this player. Why is high-end home theater not relevant to Kodi? I now Linux is free, and building a true HTPC costs money, but Windows is still the best source for free, high-end software. DSPlayer proves the two can co-exist.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47