Kodi with a Smart TV...???
Not sure if this is right place for this question.. If not feel free to move.

I'm hoping to set up Kodi on a PC and be able to use it from a Panasonic Viera TC-P65S60 Smart TV. There are no actual connections on the computer to connect the TV via HDMI cables or other A/V cables, so I am hoping this can be done via the network.

The answer is probably so simple I'm going to smack my forehead when I see it LOL.... However... I'm not fully sure how to do this. It's my sister's television and I don't have it and the computer in front of me, but will later today or tomorrow. So I wanted to find the info before going over to start the setup. I've searched here and at other forums but haven;t found anything related to this. If anyone can be of any assistance, even just point a link if there is one, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Panasnoic TVs will let you use UPnP to access a KODI over the network. You'll want to nip into the SETTINGS of KODI. Under SERVICES work through the pages in there. StArt with the GENERAL page and give your KODI setup a name. Next go to the UPnP section and tick everything.

Bonus points, go into the WEBSERVER section and turn that all on. Now you can use a tablet\phone as a remote control. (Or even better, install the YATSE app)

I think you'll also need to go into REMOTE CONTROL and enable the options in there too to get the remote working.

If you don't see the above items, you'll need to click the SETTINGS LEVEL up to EXPERT.

Personally I gave up on UPnP from my Panasnoic TV and ended up getting a new video card with HDMI and connecting the PC up to the TV for much better level of control. KODI is really designed to be connected to the screen directly. You'll soon start to see limitations of Panasonic's UPnP implementation (like total inability to read sub titles from an external file...)
Also the lack of eye-candy that KODI brings also hurts.
Might be better off forgoing using KODI on the TV and utilize Windows Media Player DLNA built-in tools.

Preferable though to go with "BatterPudding's" suggestion of a HDMI card to the TV and enjoy KODI in all its eye-candy goodness.

Depending on the PC, should be relatively cheap, the GeForce GT 210 is approx $35 or so.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-...uct-images

Thanks a million guys. I do plan on getting her an HDMI TV card, but she is going in for surgery and I wanted to set it up quick for now for when she gets out because she will be bed ridden for a while.

OK, so I followed BatterPudding's directions and got everything in Kodi set up. However, I can't figure out how to use Kodi on the TV. I've gone into the TVs setting and set that all up network wise and such. If I go to the Tools with the remote then into DLNA Kodi shows there but I can only select folders for music or video.... But that's the only place I actually see Kodi or anything related to it. So I am wondering how to actually see Kodi on the TV and use the LiveTv and such with it....
Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
If you're worried about the time it would take to install a graphics card, don't be. You could have it all set up in 15 mins. Pretty easy to do.
Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
(2015-04-23, 01:29)Shipwreck Wrote: Thanks a million guys. I do plan on getting her an HDMI TV card, but she is going in for surgery and I wanted to set it up quick for now for when she gets out because she will be bed ridden for a while.

OK, so I followed BatterPudding's directions and got everything in Kodi set up. However, I can't figure out how to use Kodi on the TV. I've gone into the TVs setting and set that all up network wise and such. If I go to the Tools with the remote then into DLNA Kodi shows there but I can only select folders for music or video.... But that's the only place I actually see Kodi or anything related to it. So I am wondering how to actually see Kodi on the TV and use the LiveTv and such with it....
Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

You got it wrong. Getting Kodi onto the tv via upnp is not possible (you can only access the videos or music from Kodi with that approach as you already figured out). For having Kodi on the TV you need to connect a Kodi capable device (htpc, android box, ... ) to the TV via HDMI.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I was assuming the OP realised that UPnP is only going to allow access to the media and not Kodi's interface. Kodi is only being used to control the library and keep the videos together in a list without having to learn any Windows sharing.

Back to the Panasonic TV... sounds like you are in the right place. From my 2012 model I click on the VIERA TOOLS button of the remote control, then select MEDIA SERVER from the right. This now shows me a list of the various computers and UPnP devices in my home. From this list I can select KODI.

At this point you are only going to see what Kodi can export from the database. Which is the videos and music collections. None of the add-ons are accessible. Though this is an easy way of whizzing through much of what is on the Kodi PC.

There are many disadvantages to using UPnP. Obvious ones that come to mind are the awkward way long lists of videos are hard to search. Also remember that UPnP on the Panny TV cannot play back all video types. When I brought up the UPnP interface on my TV just now there were a lot of the newer encoded files not able to be loaded. And no Live-tv or access to any add-ons.

So, as Memphiz and others above have said, the *real* answer for you is to be brave and go get that HDMI video card. Very easy to install, just be brave and do it. We'll hold ya hand if needed. Only then will you be able to fully release the whole of KODI on that Panny TV. It will also save you a headache as KODI is so much easier to use than the Panny's UPnP interface.
Aaah... ok, I suspected that was the case. I have no problem installing the HDMI card, I've worked with computers for over 25 years. It's the "smart tv" I wasn't sure about LOL. Someone had mentioned to me that the Panasonic my sister has could be used as a monitor for a PC by using the network..... I thought it sounded far fetched, but with the stuff they are doing with TVs now ya never know LOL.
I'll grab up an HDMI card for her next week. Now I just gotta figure out YATSE and show her how to use it LOL.
Err.... yeah "Smart" TV. Not really that smart. Especially when compared to the clever tricks of KODI. Not so much "Smart" as "Limited gimmick that half works and is mostly filled with pointless features..."

Nothing built into the Panasonic to do the remote screen mirroring trick, unless she has added something like a Miracast or Chromecast dongle. (Neither are devices that KODI can use yet anyway)

The only thing I use of my Panny's Smart side now is iPlayer. Everything else I now do direct through KODI. Initially I used UPnP of my Panny direct with Windows Media Player of my Win7 PC. But soon started hitting the limitations of what the Panny could and could not do. Moving over to KODI was a revelation. Opened up so much more, and all through that "family friendly" interface.

In 2012 I had tried to do away with my Media Centre PCs under the TV and go with the Smart TV. Trouble is there is zero control over the features of a Smart TV. And even less control over which formats it can play. Which is why i am now back in Media Centre PC land. The only place you can get real control.

The YATSE remote is brilliant. It can either be a plain remote control to interact with the KODI menus on the screen. Or go the full hog and use YATSE to pick the shows from the tablet. Avoids the need of keyboards and mice. (And if you are like me, you then put TeamViewer or similar remote control product on the Kodi box so you then never have to pick up a keyboard or mouse for it...)
LOL that's why I put smart tv in quotes BatterPudding. My sister's is the first one I've ever even played with and I figured out pretty quick the 'smart' part was more sales gimmick than anything LOL.
Gotta thank you for the YATSE suggestion too. I'll be using it now for my own Kodi setup once figure it all out. Going to look up the TeamViewer as well.
A cunning part of using TeamViewer is you can sort out issues on the KODI box for your sister without having to go and visit. Simplifying those support headaches and saving on petrol.

YATSE is excellent. So much in that little app that works for free! Such a well matched companion to KODI itself. It is written in such a way that you'll be able to have both your own and your Sister's KODI libraries in the one app in your phone in your pocket. Perfect control. Worth spending some time reading the few notes on his website and the help to learn of the "long press" options to update the local library etc.
What is the PC that you run Kodi on (make & model #)? Is the PC in another room and that's why you were looking for an over the LAN solution?
(2015-04-23, 14:41)BatterPudding Wrote: A cunning part of using TeamViewer is you can sort out issues on the KODI box for your sister without having to go and visit. Simplifying those support headaches and saving on petrol.

YATSE is excellent. So much in that little app that works for free! Such a well matched companion to KODI itself. It is written in such a way that you'll be able to have both your own and your Sister's KODI libraries in the one app in your phone in your pocket. Perfect control. Worth spending some time reading the few notes on his website and the help to learn of the "long press" options to update the local library etc.

Ah, been looking at TeamViewer, I thought it was a Kodi app but see that it's a VNC type software. So now the question is... Will I even need YATSE if I use TeamViewer?
You need YATSE as the main remote control. Makes life easier all round and will be the best interface for the users.

OR the local user picks up a wireless keyboard and mouse for controlling their KODI TV.

TeamViewer is like VNC and those programs. Designed for one person at a computer to control another computer at a physically different location. Useful for full on maintenance of a headless computer, but a bit over the top for just simply controlling KODI. It also needs two PCs Big Grin
(2015-04-23, 15:54)live4ever Wrote: What is the PC that you run Kodi on (make & model #)? Is the PC in another room and that's why you were looking for an over the LAN solution?

It's an Acer.. Not sure of the model. It's in the same room as the TV but doesn't have any outputs to connect to the TV until I can get her an HDMI card.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi with a Smart TV...???0