Can Xbox be visible in Microsoft Windows as a mapped network drive?
i got 100mbit/s network between my lappy and xbox. i only have 40 gigs of hd in my lappy so i would like to share the xbox hd as "network drive" so my xbox would show up on my network neigbourhood. is this possible? ftp is too clumsy.
this has been asked sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times.

quick answer no.

long answer, xmbc does not (and i believe may never have) a samba server built in.

if you must share via samba, get a xenuim mod chip or live with smb.

ps, use the search button

edit: see that sentence above "...or live with smb." should read "... or live with ftp" my bad!
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
(sd00 @ jan. 05 2005,10:27 Wrote:this has been asked sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times.

quick answer no.

long answer, xmbc does not (and i believe may never have) a samba server built in.

if you must share via samba, get a xenuim mod chip or live with smb.

ps, use the search button
it's easy: http://southrivertech.com/index.php?pg=....rive/index

been using this for a loooong time.
Quote:it's easy: http://southrivertech.com/index.php?pg=....rive/index

been using this for a loooong time.

its still ftp.

you can just make a shortcut in xp (yes i know there will be no drive letter!Wink

try this, right click desktop, select new->shortcut, set the location to ftp://xbox:[email protected] (set address as required) & that works but its still ftp.

it will not be a normal share in your workgroup / domain.
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
i know it's still ftp but he asked for a solution in which the xbox would show up as a networkdrive. that's what webdrive does.
Quote:show up as a networkdrive
it shows up as a mapped drive! (is there a difference - ie does it show up in network neighbourhood?)

Quote:i know it's still ftp
he said ftp is too clumbsy!.

if he must use samba, then i believe the xenuim is the only way at the moment.  

if he simply wants a drive letter, webdrive will do that

if he want's quick access to xbox folders, a shortcut will do the trick (is free too!Wink.

anyway, each to their own!  i personnaly prefer flashfxp as you can queue tons of shit up - to many different folders / from many different sources, then hit transfer & go have a coffee while it does its thang!

regards - steve.
i know xp can share via smb to the xbox, but is it possible to have xbmc share similarly? i would like to map the xbox drives to letters in windows.
the only way i know of is to use a program called webdrive, which shows your xbox as a networked drive in windows. it's not perfect but far more userfriendly than using an ftp client.
thanks for your reply.

not the most free of solutions to this problem though. :verysad: 20 day trial for a $50+ program.

it still does ftp only though. let's say i start a media file from the webdrive folder, it copies the whole file over before starting. nowhere near as graceful as smb.

think xbmc would ever support making smb shares?
hello.
i've got a question about sharing my xbox hard drive over smb.
but first:
1) i checked the xbmc faq.
2) i spent about two hours searching through these forums for the answer.
neither worked. so ... i'm asking the community.
here's what i want to do: set up an smb share from within xbmc (i'm using it as my main dash) so that i can copy a large number of files to the 250 gig hard drive i just installed (inside the xbox).
i have ftp access to my xbox and could use that server to accomplish this, but using a network share arrangement should be faster.
all of the faqs and posts i've read seem to pertain to accessing shares set up on another computer and streaming media from those shares to the xbox. but i want to host my multimedia files directly on my xbox and have an ongoing share set up so i can move more stuff over quickly and easily.
i have checked the smb section inside the xbmc setting menu, but, no matter what i try, i can not seem to get the xbox to pop up inside my network workgroup.
thanks.
there is no smb server built into xbmc, so you can't do what you want to do.
no server? that's what i was beginning to suspect. i guess i'll have to use the built-in server on my xenium chip to tranfer the files and then use ftp from within xbmc to do maintenance.
i'm running evox. any idea if a different bios (avalaunch, x2, etc) might have a built-in smb server?
still. xbmc is the best. it is amazing. running a different dash just because it has an smb server would not be an option.
thanks.
i wanted ecatly the same and use my xbox as a file-server inside my network.

that way me and my girlfriend can easily access, download or upload files to and from the xbox and play mp3's from it.

i want to use "netdrive"

but i can connect only one user at a time. is there a setting i can change or maybe add users? so i can have multiple connections?
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
Hi All,

I am aware that the xbox can join a workgroup and look into the pc drives. Is the xbox drive visible to the pc as a mapped network drive? If so I want to drag and drop files to the xbox without using an ftp client. This would be advantageous as the ftp clients get a bit twisted over the auto file name shortening.
its only accessible via ftp.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Xbox be visible in Microsoft Windows as a mapped network drive?1