• 65(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
(2015-06-23, 21:47)Gandalftomte Wrote: Reposting a question I originally asked on the Nvidia forum, this might be a better place for this question:

I just got my Shield TV, updated it to firmware 1.2 and it is nice and fast, very smooth UI, games run great etc.

I tried using Kodi to watch some SD content and the picture quality just wasn't as good as on my old Atom + ION with Kodi that I was hoping the Shield could replace.

Turns out that Kodi on the Shield only seems to support Nearest neighbor and Bilinear upscaling algorithms while on the ION Kodi supports Lancos 3 which results in a way better picture.

Is there any plan to support higher quality upscaling on the Shield?

Tried searching but havent found an answer to this question, had a Nuc earlier and that i had sett to Bicubic and i can se that both SD content and 720p content has a very slight edgy look in certen cases that was not present with my Nuc.
Is the lack of Bicubic scaling an Android or Shield problem?

Otherwise it works great besides some stuttering in 25fps material but i will try the advanced settings fix to see if it helps.

Thank you for your awesome work, it is greatly appreciated
I'm not sure I understand all the 25 fps and 50 fps talk being discussed above, as I thought live TV broadcast (and LCD monitors) ran at 60 Hz... but I am having all kinds of motion-blur problems for Win7 WMC (.wtv) recorded playback within Kodi. The same files, when played via Plex, don't exhibit this motion blur issue.

Same thing with the HDHomeRun add-on. The stand-alone HDHomeRun View app works well outside of Kodi... the Kodi add-on has all kinds of motion blur, unless (within the add-on, mid-playback) I change the deinterlace settings to "BOB-inverted". This helps, but does not eliminate the issue entirely.

Blu Ray Rips (.mkv) play back great within Kodi. It's only "Live TV" and "DVR'd TV" that this problem exists... is this related to all the above talk about 25 hz / 50 hz stuttering issues?
(2015-12-22, 14:51)falc410 Wrote: Kodi on the Shield discovers all the NFS Shares but I can't access any of it, so I had to resort to use SMB - which for some reason worked instantly after providing crendentials. On Openelec it was always the other way around. I hit a short search but couldn't find any NFS related issues with the Shield. Am I the only one?

I had the same issue, but figured out a solution for it. Simply add "insecure" to your "/etc/exports" (insecure allows connections on ports >= 1024).
(2015-12-09, 10:43)Dark-Noir Wrote: Hey,

I post my problem again because I have no solution yet.

The 5.1 DD/AC3 sound works but no DTS in Kodi. But when i use the Stock Video Player (Gallery) then it works perfectly.

- Kodi 16.0 beta 3 Jarvis is installed
- I set Kodi Audio to 2.0.
- Pass-trough in Kodi is activated.
- Tested with various samples from here: http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/.

My Setup:

The Converter:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NZYHK...ge_o00_s01

I hope you can help me and i do appreciate any help!

(2015-12-09, 11:10)datranquil Wrote: Under Audio Passthrough settings: Have you enabled the option, that your "receiver" (in your case, your converter) is able to handle DTS?
What happens when you try this?

I can't find this option, where is it ?

Now i have installed this Kodi version: Kodi 16 - Android pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!!!

(2015-12-23, 03:59)Dark-Noir Wrote: I can't find this option, where is it ?

Now i have installed this Kodi version: Kodi 16 - Android pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!!!

Were is shows "Setting level" you need to change that to "Advanced' or "Expert".
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-12-23, 04:04)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-12-23, 03:59)Dark-Noir Wrote: I can't find this option, where is it ?

Were is shows "Setting level" you need to change that to "Advanced' or "Expert".

Ah.... THANKS Shocked
Hi, I have a bit of a problem. I would like to connect four USB drives to my SATV. I am using 4 x 8TB WD MyBook drives and it only ever sees two of the drives. I daisy chain them in a 2x2 configuration. This worked perfectly on my Dune player but only two drives ever appear on the shield. Is this a limitation of the shield or am I doing something wrong.

If the shield cannot ever have more than 2 USB drives mounted at a time, then that is a pretty idiotic and unnecessary flaw/limitation. This would render it useless for my needs as I primarily want to use it to run Kodi.
(2015-12-23, 00:14)psuKinger Wrote: I'm not sure I understand all the 25 fps and 50 fps talk being discussed above, as I thought live TV broadcast (and LCD monitors) ran at 60 Hz...

have a look into PAL & SECAM vs NTSC,
Hi!
I'm getting some problems with Kodi 16 Jarvis preview builds:
On my Shield TV, 4K (2160p) works just fine under Kodi 15 Isengard (directly from the Play Store). Once I switch to the newest Beta or Nightly (doesn't matter) of Jarvis, output is limited to 1080p (as can be seen in the video playback information or in the system info window. Therefore, HEVC playback works just fine under Kodi 16, while not under Kodi 15.
Any Ideas?
Btw: Any news concerning resolution switching on Android (perhaps on 6.0)?
Anyways: Thanks in advance and Merry X-Mas!
(2015-12-25, 06:30)Danos Wrote: Hi!
I'm getting some problems with Kodi 16 Jarvis preview builds:
On my Shield TV, 4K (2160p) works just fine under Kodi 15 Isengard (directly from the Play Store). Once I switch to the newest Beta or Nightly (doesn't matter) of Jarvis, output is limited to 1080p (as can be seen in the video playback information or in the system info window. Therefore, HEVC playback works just fine under Kodi 16, while not under Kodi 15.
Any Ideas?
Btw: Any news concerning resolution switching on Android (perhaps on 6.0)?
Anyways: Thanks in advance and Merry X-Mas!

Pretty sure the UI is always rendered at 1080p (just upscaled to 4k)... just the video player switches to 4K AFAIK but I could be wrong.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2015-12-25, 15:09)danjames92 Wrote: Pretty sure the UI is always rendered at 1080p (just upscaled to 4k)... just the video player switches to 4K AFAIK but I could be wrong.

Correct.
If anything, the fact that people relies on a info label to distinguish videos played in 1080p from 4K proves 4K is a marketing gimmick Wink
(2015-12-25, 15:19)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-25, 15:09)danjames92 Wrote: Pretty sure the UI is always rendered at 1080p (just upscaled to 4k)... just the video player switches to 4K AFAIK but I could be wrong.

Correct.
If anything, the fact that people relies on a info label to distinguish videos played in 1080p from 4K proves 4K is a marketing gimmick Wink

Indeed! I'm in no rush to change to 4k, that's for sure! My GT50 is a beast. Smile

Thanks to Koying efforts, I was able to watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas (at 24.0fps) with flawless passthrough earlier. Merry Christmas everyone!
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
Horizontal tearing line in Kodi appearing after some time

Maybe someone else had the issue and found a solution.

Nvidia Shield TV connected to a Samsung 4K TV.
System resolution set to 4K@60p (recommended)

Here are the symptoms

- During playback of some videos a horizontal tearing line appears after a while (about 30-40 minutes)
- the line moves slowly up and down the screen
- it is a tearing line, meaning the upper part of the picture is slightly in a different position than the lower part
- pressing pause shows no line
- stopping the video playback and resuming it, fixes the issue for about 30-40 minutes
- not every type of video is effected, 25p files are, 24p seem to work without issue

Things I tried
- VBS Settings in Kodi are not effecting ths issue (appears with on and off)
- Kodi is set to allways sync refreshrate of TV and it works (Samsung switches to 50p for the 25p files)
- Kodi is running in latest beta (16 beta 4)
- Shield is updated
- Motion correction/smoothing is deactivated in TV
- tried the Kodi option to sync video to refresh rate, no effect
Just a quick message to say thanks for all the work that goes into making Kodi work so well. I have moved from a Dune Media player running yaDIS to the Nvidia Shield TV. My experience has been superior in almost every way, except for the lack of passthrough of lossless sound formats(and that seems to be almost sorted).

I am so delighted with my setup now and I look forward to all of the future developments.

Keep up the good work.
(2015-12-27, 10:41)Jeromeger Wrote: Horizontal tearing line in Kodi appearing after some time

Maybe someone else had the issue and found a solution.

Nvidia Shield TV connected to a Samsung 4K TV.
System resolution set to 4K@60p (recommended)

Here are the symptoms

- During playback of some videos a horizontal tearing line appears after a while (about 30-40 minutes)
- the line moves slowly up and down the screen
- it is a tearing line, meaning the upper part of the picture is slightly in a different position than the lower part
- pressing pause shows no line
- stopping the video playback and resuming it, fixes the issue for about 30-40 minutes
- not every type of video is effected, 25p files are, 24p seem to work without issue

Things I tried
- VBS Settings in Kodi are not effecting ths issue (appears with on and off)
- Kodi is set to allways sync refreshrate of TV and it works (Samsung switches to 50p for the 25p files)
- Kodi is running in latest beta (16 beta 4)
- Shield is updated
- Motion correction/smoothing is deactivated in TV
- tried the Kodi option to sync video to refresh rate, no effect
This is an issue which is normally caused when vertical synchronisation is turned of. Please make sure it is enabled.
Kodi 15.2 @ Android TV (Nvidia Shield)
PVR Backend: DVBLink/ DVBLogic with DigitalDevices 2xDVB-S & 2xDVB-C,CI DeltaCamTwin @ UM02 & HD02
Media Backend: EMBY
  • 65(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6