Useing kodi on the move
Hi all i'm new to this so if this topic has been covered before i do apologize

i would like to no i travel a lot an have kodi installed on my laptop my question is would i get a connection if i used a sim card internet dongle so i can still use it while im on the move or does it need to be a better internet connection
Kodi does not provide content. Kodi doesn't give you any TV shows, movies, or anything. You are pirating stuff off the internet, that doesn't come from us. If you don't know where the movies and TV shows come from, then you're probably pirating, and we won't help you with that. That's not what Kodi was designed to do. Read the little blurb on: free content (wiki)
(2015-06-07, 13:11)pickledpoon Wrote: Hi all i'm new to this so if this topic has been covered before i do apologize

i would like to no i travel a lot an have kodi installed on my laptop my question is would i get a connection if i used a sim card internet dongle so i can still use it while im on the move or does it need to be a better internet connection

<edit>
in the text below i was assuming the original poster implicitly meant streaming their own content residing at home network
</edit>

I have bought my kodi boxes for that purpose exactly. Xbmc/kodi seems d only system that streams from "symbolic url" rather lan IP only.

I have set up a url using synology ddns and have created my libs in those terms. Intention was to be able to take my kodi outside my home and still play my own content. Tried this recently to watch a movie from my inlaws' place, streaming off the nas in my house.
It worked brilliantly!
So it is possible to take ur box with you "on the move" and stream from another location.

Requirments:
- have a fixed IP from ur inet provider or use a ddns url pointing to ur modem
- have the required port forwarding defined so traffic reaching ur modem finds its way to ur nas
- ur nas needs to have fixed or static ip in ur lan for the port forwarding to work

In my case, the synology ddns servce provides me with a url sth like "xxxxx.synology.me" which always points to my external ip

I set up my lib using this url, choose for webdav as protocal when u define sources in kodi.

Last thing i did was a tweak to prevent freezes while streaming from my home: it would happen regulraly that if i stream from within my lan but using these "external" urls, the movie freezes. I fixed this by adding an entry in the DNS functionality of my provider's router, that resolves the url to my internal ip addy of the nas. When i stream from outside the house this issue doesnt seem to happen for some reason

This way you can steam the content you have on your local lan to basically any place with internet connection for ur box. Streaming a full movie over 3G may work fine depending on 3G signal strength, but it will be expensive....
(2015-06-08, 03:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Kodi does not provide content. Kodi doesn't give you any TV shows, movies, or anything. You are pirating stuff off the internet, that doesn't come from us. If you don't know where the movies and TV shows come from, then you're probably pirating, and we won't help you with that. That's not what Kodi was designed to do. Read the little blurb on: free content (wiki)

Ned
Why did u think of piracy? People might just be streaming the content they have sitting on their lan to another place where they happen to be at some point in time.
Whats the issue?
They might be. I would honestly love to be wrong about my assumption, but I doubt that I am wrong. We have floods of posts everyday where people think Kodi provides movies and TV shows, because of the popularity of add-ons and services that provide them. So unless a poster specifically says they are streaming their own library, or some other legal service, then it is a safe assumption that someone is asking about pirated/bootleg videos when they want "movies from the Internet".

I wish it weren't so, but it is.
Sounds like "guilty till proven innocent". This isnt North Korea or Russia...
Its a forum, not a democracy, no constitution, no rights.
Then there cant be so much worry about copy rights either
Be consistent dude!
(2015-06-10, 17:40)Miguix Wrote: Sounds like "guilty till proven innocent". This isnt North Korea or Russia...

Well, no, not really. If I was 100% sure it was about piracy then I would have closed the thread and moved it to the rule violation sub-forum (trash). My reply is more of a warning, just in case. I should have included an "if" in there, but nobody's perfect.

We're not worried about copyright violation as much as we are trying to establish Kodi's image as neither for nor against piracy. It has become a huge issue for us in the last few years, due to all the venders who advertise pre-configured Kodi-based systems, that are specifically set up to access bootleg streams. It is an actual problem that has had a real impact on our group. You have no idea what we've had to put up with.

If the result of that is we warn people about our forum rules too much, then that's hardly a bad thing.
(2015-06-10, 18:58)whitebelly Wrote: Its a forum, not a democracy, no constitution, no rights.
And as a "forum" is like a "club" and the club rules are pinned up above the door as you come in.

Get a feeling the OP isn't coming back...

Insert quote here about "repelling boarders" and holding cutlasses in ya teeth...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Useing kodi on the move0