• 78(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
(2020-04-12, 13:11)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 12:53)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 12:36)noggin Wrote: OK - you are using HDMI input 3. That will probably (*) have it's own SDR and HDR picture settings just for that input, which are not related to the picture settings of the other inputs, your DVB TV tuner, or any Android TV apps etc.

The important thing is to go through all the settings and disable all the nasty processing etc.
Test images are test sequences that you use to adjust brightness, contrast, black level, gamma, saturation (aka colour) etc. to ensure that your TV is displaying pictures correctly. Without them you are just 'adjusting by eye' which is never a great idea.

I'd suggest reading up a bit on TV calibration and set-up to get a better understanding as to how you should configure your display to be as neutral as possible (so that you see the material you have shot, edited and graded as accurately as possible)

Ah - 'like' is always dangerous. If you are watching material you edited yourself, then you want that displayed as correctly as possible (if you don't like 'the look' of your material, you can then alter the way you edit and grade it)
Kodi shouldn't require any calibration - that's only really needed for 'edge case' examples (where there are known issues you need to compensate for). It may require some set-up - but not calibration.

Your Shield TV has a number of options for output - and they can interact with Kodi.

Do you watch any Rec 2020 material - or is all your material you watch Rec 709?

Yes - the sliders will be different for every source. I said that in my earlier post :

Thanks for your very good reply.
I use a camera to take videos. I use Lumix GH5 and I think it rec. in Rec 709. Anyway I put these settings in the Menu: 4K 8bit 150M 50p.    

Yes - chances are you are shooting Rec 709 3840x2160p50 8-bit in either 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. I assume you then take this material into FCPX, Prem Pro, Avid Media Composer or Davinci Resolve and make sure it is also seen as Rec 709 in those packages for grading?

Then you export as a 3840x2160p50 8-bit Rec 709 4:2:0 h.264/AVC or h.265/HEVC file to play on the Nvidia Shield TV?

If so I'd ensure the Nvidia Shield TV is configured for Rec 709 output in its HDMI settings, and unless you also use the Shield to watch other video material (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc.) that is Rec 2020, I'd also probably disable colour gamut switching. 
I use Shhield only to watch my videos made by Lumix GH5 camera. You understand everything perfectly! Wink I use Edius for video editing and I export to 3840x2160p50 8-bit Rec 709 4:2:0 h.264/AVC 150mb. One hour ago I did a dozen tests and I my real problem is Kodi. In fact maybe I always make my videos and I exported them with a bit too much brightness and if I use Kodi with Shield I can't lower the brightness because it is already at minimum. I should lower it slightly, maybe a further - 1 or -2, but I can't do it.

If I use Kodi with Sony TV, I can I can further lower the brightness and I watch it fine (brightness and colours), but the video isn't absolutely fluid. If I watch the same video with the software of Sony TV, what's there by default,  I can watch it fine. I can't use 150mb with Kodi and Sony TV. I only have to use 100mb. What a pity!
You can tell me to chance software (Kodi) but I can't because I need they must be in line as in the photo I attach:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl2iy3fczkved7...8.jpg?dl=0
(2020-04-12, 16:24)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 13:11)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 12:53)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Thanks for your very good reply.
I use a camera to take videos. I use Lumix GH5 and I think it rec. in Rec 709. Anyway I put these settings in the Menu: 4K 8bit 150M 50p.    

Yes - chances are you are shooting Rec 709 3840x2160p50 8-bit in either 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. I assume you then take this material into FCPX, Prem Pro, Avid Media Composer or Davinci Resolve and make sure it is also seen as Rec 709 in those packages for grading?

Then you export as a 3840x2160p50 8-bit Rec 709 4:2:0 h.264/AVC or h.265/HEVC file to play on the Nvidia Shield TV?

If so I'd ensure the Nvidia Shield TV is configured for Rec 709 output in its HDMI settings, and unless you also use the Shield to watch other video material (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc.) that is Rec 2020, I'd also probably disable colour gamut switching.       
I use Shhield only to watch my videos made by Lumix GH5 camera. You understand everything perfectly! Wink I use Edius for video editing and I export to 3840x2160p50 8-bit Rec 709 4:2:0 h.264/AVC 150mb. One hour ago I did a dozen tests and I my real problem is Kodi. In fact maybe I always make my videos and I exported them with a bit too much brightness and if I use Kodi with Shield I can't lower the brightness because it is already at minimum. I should lower it slightly, maybe a further - 1 or -2, but I can't do it.

If I use Kodi with Sony TV, I can I can further lower the brightness and I watch it fine (brightness and colours), but the video isn't absolutely fluid. If I watch the same video with the software of Sony TV, what's there by default,  I can watch it fine. I can't use 150mb with Kodi and Sony TV. I only have to use 100mb. What a pity!
You can tell me to chance software (Kodi) but I can't because I need they must be in line as in the photo I attach:

Hmm - this sounds like you really need to calibrate your TV properly with some test signals on all inputs. Download a PLUGE signal and a grey scale ramp, and probably a couple of colour charts, and ensure that your internal Sony TV player app, Kodi on your Sony TV and Kodi via the Shield TV are all doing the same thing when they play the same file.

PLUGE = Picture Line Up Generator and is a way to properly set the black level of a correctly functioning display.  Grey scale will let you correctly set the white level and gamma, and colour charts will let you correctly set the saturation etc.

It is always worth having a line-up Blu-ray and/or files to do this - along with a correctly specified blue filter gel.

if you then find you can't calibrate the TV with the Shield TV playing the test image - we can have another look.

There's no real point just randomly hunting around in the dark when it comes to calibrating a display.

150Mbs is very high bitrate for h.264 - even for UHD 50p. It sounds a bit excessive for consumer devices.  Have you considered running h.265/HEVC at something nearer 50Mbs?  

(And Kodi running within a Sony TV is not a great idea - I think it runs at a fixed 60Hz refresh, and the CPU in Sony TVs is generally not that powerful for Kodi use)
(2020-04-12, 18:08)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 16:24)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 13:11)noggin Wrote: I thank you for your suggestions but it is hard fr

Hmm - this sounds like you really need to calibrate your TV properly with some test signals on all inputs. Download a PLUGE signal and a grey scale ramp, and probably a couple of colour charts, and ensure that your internal Sony TV player app, Kodi on your Sony TV and Kodi via the Shield TV are all doing the same thing when they play the same file.

PLUGE = Picture Line Up Generator and is a way to properly set the black level of a correctly functioning display.  Grey scale will let you correctly set the white level and gamma, and colour charts will let you correctly set the saturation etc.

It is always worth having a line-up Blu-ray and/or files to do this - along with a correctly specified blue filter gel.

if you then find you can't calibrate the TV with the Shield TV playing the test image - we can have another look.

There's no real point just randomly hunting around in the dark when it comes to calibrating a display.

150Mbs is very high bitrate for h.264 - even for UHD 50p. It sounds a bit excessive for consumer devices.  Have you considered running h.265/HEVC at something nearer 50Mbs?  

(And Kodi running within a Sony TV is not a great idea - I think it runs at a fixed 60Hz refresh, and the CPU in Sony TVs is generally not that powerful for Kodi use) 

I thank you for your suggestions but it is hard to use PLUGE (Picture Line Up Generator) for me. I'm not an expert like you, I'm sorry. I can't even find PLUGE on the net and I don't even know if it needs to be installed on the TV. Anyway I have i1Profiler X-RITE i1 Display Pro with which I calibrate my monitor but I never used it for a TV and I hope it can calibrate a TV.
I use Edius 9 Pro for video editing and I can't export h.265/HEVC directly. I need to buy a plugins. Anyway I understand it is better continue to use Kodi connShield.
(2020-04-12, 19:02)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 18:08)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 16:24)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I use Shhield only to watch my videos made by Lumix GH5 camera. You understand everything perfectly! Wink I use Edius for video editing and I export to 3840x2160p50 8-bit Rec 709 4:2:0 h.264/AVC 150mb. One hour ago I did a dozen tests and I my real problem is Kodi. In fact maybe I always make my videos and I exported them with a bit too much brightness and if I use Kodi with Shield I can't lower the brightness because it is already at minimum. I should lower it slightly, maybe a further - 1 or -2, but I can't do it.

I thank you for your suggestions but it is hard to use PLUGE (Picture Line Up Generator) for me. I'm not an expert like you, I'm sorry. I can't even find PLUGE on the net and I don't even know if it needs to be installed on the TV. Anyway I have i1Profiler X-RITE i1 Display Pro with which I calibrate my monitor but I never used it for a TV and I hope it can calibrate a TV.
I use Edius 9 Pro for video editing and I can't export h.265/HEVC directly. I need to buy a plugins. Anyway I understand it is better continue to use Kodi connShield. 

PLUGE is the section of a number of test signals that lets you set the black level of your TV correctly - it has some just-below-black, black and just-above-black stripes that let you correctly set your brightness and black level to ensure you don't have your black level set too high or two low.  Many test file suites have it including the ones linked to here : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ...terns.html

If you re using a probe to calibrate your monitor, then I'd also use it to calibrate your TV.  You may find you need some additional software for this - but you may find the process too complicated.
(2020-04-12, 19:10)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 19:02)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2020-04-12, 18:08)noggin Wrote: Hmm - this sounds like you really need to calibrate your TV properly with some test signals on all inputs. Download a PLUGE signal and a grey scale ramp, and probably a couple of colour charts, and ensure that your internal Sony TV player app, Kodi on your Sony TV and Kodi via the Shield TV are all doing the same thing when they play the same file.

PLUGE is the section of a number of test signals that lets you set the black level of your TV correctly - it has some just-below-black, black and just-above-black stripes that let you correctly set your brightness and black level to ensure you don't have your black level set too high or two low.  Many test file suites have it including the ones linked to here : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ...terns.html

If you re using a probe to calibrate your monitor, then I'd also use it to calibrate your TV.  You may find you need some additional software for this - but you may find the process too complicated. 

I will have to study that link that you kindly attached to me. I know that you are a great professional in the video sector, I'd like to ask you a question about shooting, but I think I'm OT. Can I ask that question in a MP?
Hey, I'm very very worried, I don't know what happened. I am not able to decrease the brightness anymore in every device, even on the TV. In fact if I put the brightness at 1 on TV (when I watch the programs), the brightness it is shamelessly too high. What can I do to solve that problem?
(2020-04-12, 21:58)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hey, I'm very very worried, I don't know what happened. I am not able to decrease the brightness anymore in every device, even on the TV. In fact if I put the brightness at 1 on TV (when I watch the programs), the brightness it is shamelessly too high. What can I do to solve that problem?

Have you changed your picture setting away from Custom?  If all else fails - you can do a factory reset - but that will mean configuring your TV from step 1.
I did the reset and now it is OK.
Hi, I do video editing: I always made 4K 8 bit video and I watch them with Shield TV and Sony TV KD-65X8509C. So with Shield TV I always used the HDMI 3 "Standard". Today I created a 4K 10bit file for the first time and then I chose the Advanced option on HDMI 3 (I don't remember the precise writing), but it is the highest quality 4K 10bit, etc., then the TV restarted. Anyway I changed settings in Shield TH and I chose "YUV420 10bit Rec.709".
As soon as I opened the Shiel TV interface (where there are many icons) and then even Kodi to be able to view that video, both show very languid colors. With Kodi I watch all my 4K videos, but I was surprised that Kodi interface has changed color. It is now an incredible colour problem, the colors were missing. The video was also very, very faded, I had to increase the color a lot, before the sliedr was on 54 and now I had to move it to 80. Why do you see so faded coluous after choosing Advanced option on HDMI 3? There is something wrong? Do you get this problem you too?

I thank you for making me understand.
Has anyone else noticed playback issues when using audio passthrough since the firmware update to Oreo?
If I pause/rewind/fast forward most videos, when I resume the audio will be choppy and I have to stop it (and I see my tuner dropping in and out of DD).
Similarly, I have a network HDD and playing back from there the audio goes out of sync unless I turn off audio passthrough.
This wasn't an issue before.
We have the Sony AG9 TV with Android TV and Kodi is running fine.
I am only curious what the best Kodi sound settings are for sound with this TV, so that we also get Dolby Atmos, for example.
Kodi Mediaplayer; Sony KD-55A89 4K Android TV
Already found out you don’t need any settings for Dolby Atmos, it is just playing with the Sony AG9 TV  Smile
I’m very happy with this TV and Kodi.
Kodi Mediaplayer; Sony KD-55A89 4K Android TV
  • 78(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8