• 60(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
(2016-10-08, 12:01)kinggo Wrote: It won't decode anything. It is 2ch soundbar + sub. You can get more than 2.1 from it anyway and kodi can output stereo from all formats.
So, yes, it will work. But any multichannel format is irrelevant for that soundbar.

Heh, so I double check and it really doesn't decode anything except DD. I checked the specifications of the CT-380, which I thought was the older model, and it does indeed decode everything (even DTS-HD). Which is kind of confusing if something like that is necessary on a soundbar? I presume only if the source can't do any decoding? It's even $50 cheaper (no wireless subwoofer).
the point is that it doesn't really mater. TV can decode anything and output 2ch. Kodi can also do that. And you'll never get anything but 2.1 with it.
Those decoders are useful if you connect BR player or console directly to the soundbar. but since you'll use TV as audio source and both of them is just 2.1 and TV can decode and output 2ch you really don't need any decoder in the soundbar. It would be useful also in case of working passthrough in kodi for some 5.1 soundbar.
Quote:It won't decode anything. It is 2ch soundbar + sub. You can get more than 2.1 from it anyway and kodi can output stereo from all formats.
So, yes, it will work. But any multichannel format is irrelevant for that soundbar.
Passthrough is important for a soundbar with subwoofer. S/PDIF (HDMI-ARC) only transfers PCM 2.0. So you lose the LFE channel. To me the LFE channel is much more important than the surround channels. You lose a lot of the dynamic range.
I believe that there is some crossover inside that will take care of low frequencies or some kind of bass management like in AVR so that one can use sub even with just 2ch stereo.
I did a direct comparison... PCM 2.0 downmix is totally flat compared to 5.1. There is some low frequency in the 2.0 channels but not comparable with the .1 LFE. Probably depends on the downmixer and also what the soundbar makes out of it. But my experience is that passthrough is important for soundbar+sub because of that LFE.
True. For a very long time I was using just a pair of floorstanders and I always preferred to let my AVR do the decoding. But the end result is very equipment dependent. And 5" woofer is not really something.

But back on topic......
I manged to set default player as external in kodi and that kinda works. Passthrough works as expected but sometimes after video ends it does not take me back to kodi but to TV home screen. And some videos doesn't work although they work in kodi or in default player.
But with this setup I can't use subtitle download so the question is can I somehow override external player?
Moved thread to hardware section
(2016-10-08, 21:43)CiNcH Wrote: I did a direct comparison... PCM 2.0 downmix is totally flat compared to 5.1. There is some low frequency in the 2.0 channels but not comparable with the .1 LFE. Probably depends on the downmixer and also what the soundbar makes out of it. But my experience is that passthrough is important for soundbar+sub because of that LFE.

As pr. normal conventions a "downmix" will ignore the LFE altogether. An AVR which accepts an encoded signal will do a "light" form of bass management when converted to 2 channel. Some of the LFE (could vary in strength/frequency) will be included in the downconverted 2 channel output, but it will be missing the "oomph". (If you wanted to include LFE with full dynamics, you you'd need to attenuate all channels by approx -6dB relative to LFE, which would give enough headroom for the full LFE dynamics. I know of exactly one hardware BD player which is able to do this)

I suspect a TV will do the regular downmix which ignores LFE. HDMI ARC and Toslink is adequate for DD and DTS Core, but this also has to be supported fully by the built-in Android and/or combination with Kodi.
Where are we on the overall stability of Kodi on the x85c? I don't see it discussed much in these newer posts.

I find it to be unstable to the point that i don't use it on the tv at all (16.1 official release). It freezes up primarily during playback, and i have to pull the power plug to reset.

I have it installed on an Amazon fire tv also, and on that device it is totally stable.

Are you having the same issues?
Hi, just got hold of a Sony Bravia 809c and had same trouble with outputting 5.1 with clicking. Anyway I have finally cracked it for my system so, I will pass on my settings to see if it helps those with the same problem.

In the TV audio out in the hard settings of the TV, audio out is set to Auto 1. In the audio sound sub menu (obtained by options button on remote) when playing your source you have to change sound mode to cinema. Then in advanced settings you must set Dynamic Range to standard as well as He-AAC dynamic range to standard.

That is it for the TV side.

Now, as far as Kodi is concerned it's quite simple. Channels must be kept at 2.0. Enable passthrough and tick enable AC3 and Dolby Digital transcoding.

Voila. Tested with Deadpool and Zootropolis and works like a dream.
Hello folks, I got the XBR-800D ( in europe called XD8005) I can get my minix box to play DTS and DD sound... But the Android TV SPMC (Version 16.4 I think) only plays DD sound... HOw do I get it to play DTS sound?
are people getting different results from DTS and DTS-MA?

I believe DTS works for me, but not DTS-MA
(2016-10-16, 10:03)Magismider Wrote: Where are we on the overall stability of Kodi on the x85c? I don't see it discussed much in these newer posts.

I find it to be unstable to the point that i don't use it on the tv at all (16.1 official release). It freezes up primarily during playback, and i have to pull the power plug to reset.

I have it installed on an Amazon fire tv also, and on that device it is totally stable.

Are you having the same issues?

I'm running it on a KD-55X8505C and it works fine for me, however heavier files, <20 GB from my NAS, usually doesn't play well.
(2016-10-22, 00:35)mrpeterparker Wrote: are people getting different results from DTS and DTS-MA?

I believe DTS works for me, but not DTS-MA

For me - I am getting the same sound on both DTS and DTS-MA tracks. TV simply does not pass DTS-MA through via ARC to the AVR (or to say correctly, TV sends simple DTS instead).
I wonder, is there a really big difference (that I could hear) between DTS and DTS-MA. I mean, difference worth purchasing an external media player, that would pass everything to the AVR..
(2016-10-24, 14:12)kixxoff Wrote: TV simply does not pass DTS-MA through via ARC to the AVR

Nope. Never has, never will. ARC just don't support it.
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8