• 27(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
Hi,

Several people have commented on how quiet their HP is. I find my fan is running pretty fast from startup ( 3000rpm) and so is far from silent. Can someone confirm the low load fan speed on their unit please ? I may have been unlucky, or just oversensitive to noise.
My latest (somewhat minor but annoying) issue: I set everything up so that I can power the unit on and off with the IR remote (activate the correct settings in the BIOS and connect the receiver to the "keyboard" USB port). And it works, I can power on from complete off state... unless the unit stays off for several hours!

I shut it down (and I mean really shut down, no standby or hibernate nonsense), press the power button on the remote, and it turns back on, as expected. But if it stays off for a few hours, I can't get it to turn back on using the remote (the IR receiver doesn't even flash red when I press the remote buttons, it's as if it's not receiving any power).

I tried looking into the BIOS settings for power saving and other stuff, but haven't found anything that might be the cause of this particular problem.

Any ideas?

(2015-07-20, 11:12)john321 Wrote: Hi,

Several people have commented on how quiet their HP is. I find my fan is running pretty fast from startup ( 3000rpm) and so is far from silent. Can someone confirm the low load fan speed on their unit please ? I may have been unlucky, or just oversensitive to noise.

I can confirm that my unit is very silent, even in full load. It's so silent that the actual noise I hear is the scratching of the hard disk over any other sounds produced by the unit.
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo

I can confirm that my unit is very silent, even in full load. It's so silent that the actual noise I hear is the scratching of the hard disk over any other sounds produced by the unit.

Thanks for the reply, cant help you with your question sorry.

Any chance you could check the fan speed ( its visible in the bios if you don't have speedfan or equivalent running. Would like to know if my unit is not regulating fan speed properly, or if it is a noisy fan running at "normal" speed.
(2015-07-20, 12:17)john321 Wrote:

Thanks for the reply, cant help you with your question sorry.

Any chance you could check the fan speed ( its visible in the bios if you don't have speedfan or equivalent running. Would like to know if my unit is not regulating fan speed properly, or if it is a noisy fan running at "normal" speed.
I won't be able to check on till much much later tonight, I'll do it if I remember to in about 12 hours...
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
I've just checked and my cpu fan is running at just over 3000rpm, there doesn't appear to be a way of adjusting it in the bios, is there another way.
(2015-07-20, 11:32)LarrxX Wrote: My latest (somewhat minor but annoying) issue: I set everything up so that I can power the unit on and off with the IR remote (activate the correct settings in the BIOS and connect the receiver to the "keyboard" USB port). And it works, I can power on from complete off state... unless the unit stays off for several hours!

I shut it down (and I mean really shut down, no standby or hibernate nonsense), press the power button on the remote, and it turns back on, as expected. But if it stays off for a few hours, I can't get it to turn back on using the remote (the IR receiver doesn't even flash red when I press the remote buttons, it's as if it's not receiving any power).

I tried looking into the BIOS settings for power saving and other stuff, but haven't found anything that might be the cause of this particular problem.

Any ideas?

Hi LarrxX, I've encountered a remote problem and found that if I use the 'power off system' option then my 260 won't startup from remote, but if I just use general 'exit' and thne shutdown windows itself then the remote works everytime regardless of how long it has been off.

Might help.

Mike
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
The amazon display port adaptor posted on page 1 of this thread is working fine for me, so another positive review.
The ram was also fine and took minutes to install.

Regarding the noise, mine is totally silent.
Even under load if I mute my av receiver and listen very closely i can hear a slight whirr. Will never notice at all with any kind of audio or background noise.

The wireless keyboard/mouse combi im using (logitech k400r) also boots the system up even after its been fully shut down for a few days.
(2015-07-20, 17:51)As86 Wrote: The amazon display port adaptor posted on page 1 of this thread is working fine for me, so another positive review.
The ram was also fine and took minutes to install.

Regarding the noise, mine is totally silent.
Even under load if I mute my av receiver and listen very closely i can hear a slight whirr. Will never notice at all with any kind of audio or background noise.

The wireless keyboard/mouse combi im using (logitech k400r) also boots the system up even after its been fully shut down for a few days.

WOW really. I only managed to get the default wired one to work. I have the same one and it did not seem to work.
Yeah mines fine
I think that's the same wireless keyboard I'm using. It also wakes up my HP (from a complete shutdown) fine for me, even when the box has been powered down for several days.
Has anyone noticed that HP doesnt do a good job with thermal paste?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PStXUKcuxiw#t=14m26s

seems like less than 50% surface of the cpu has actually any paste. that has to impact the effecivness of the heatsink, if you redid the thermal paste, maybe get the fan even quieter?

john321 your unit might be worse with the thermal paste? or you might have a faulty one? Maybe ask for advice from HP suuport centre (find out information from first post)

As86 thanks for the feedback Smile glad your unit is up and running.

Mark142 I believe noggin mentioned his same k400r keyboard woke the unit up from full shutdown.

how is everyone doing with waking up the H260 using remotes?
The HP260 was also built to accommodate the faster clocking haswell pentium version. Those that have that version are still saying its quiet.

Anyone thought how to mod this without the fan? I woudn't do it to mine but the nerd in me wants to know if it would be possible for the cpu to run fanless.

just a thought, mount a bigger heatsink, there seems to be enough room.
(2015-07-20, 18:57)MediaPi Wrote: Has anyone noticed that HP doesnt do a good job with thermal paste?

seems like less than 50% surface of the cpu has actually any paste. that has to impact the effecivness of the heatsink, if you redid the thermal paste, maybe get the fan even quieter?

Nothing wrong with the paste.. it covers the two elements of the CPU. You do know the green part is NOT the chipHuh Wink
As86 which amazon adaptor did you buy?
the uncomfirmed one? £2.44 ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Display-Female-V...rt+to+hdmi

If so I can promote it to the confirmed list and users have a cheaper alternative
(2015-07-20, 19:07)Methanoid Wrote:
(2015-07-20, 18:57)MediaPi Wrote: Has anyone noticed that HP doesnt do a good job with thermal paste?

Nothing wrong with the paste.. it covers the two elements of the CPU. You do know the green part is NOT the chipHuh Wink

*coughs in embarressment* I was just checking everyones awake...nice weather we having...
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2