nVidia shield shuts off when watching Kodi
so I was watching a movie on Kodi (first time watching full movie actually) on my nVidia Shield. Shield updated to lastest firmware, Kodi updated to latest in Play Store (Kodi 15.0-RC2 Git:2015-07-11-0aa930b).

After an hour or so (+/- since I don't remember exactly when I hit the remote button), The shield itself turned off from the sleep timer.

Shouldn't an active Kodi video playing prevent the Android / Shield sleep timer from kicking in?
Seen this as well. Doubt it's a problem in Kodi
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Except I've left the Netflix app running multiple hours without it shutting off at all
Strange, never saw that and it shouldn't happen as we have a wake lock during playback.
Was it when playing plain files? We are speaking about the device shutting down when a file is actually playing, right, not paused?

How is your Kodi screensaver configured? Asking because Kodi follows its screensaver in those matters (wake lock is released when Kodi screensaver kicks in)
Not sure if it qualifies as a "plain file", but it was playing an .mkv file over an SMB network path.

And yes, device fully shut down, light powered off on the Shield. When I hit a remote button to wake it again, it brought me to the Shield Home screen.
Yes to actually playing, was right in the middle of a playing video.

Kodi screensaver is configured after 10 minutes for picture slideshow.
@Martijn, do you also have a "special" screensaver, i.e. not "dim" nor "black"?
nope, just dim.
device completely shuts down.
Really strange.
How often does it happen? Does the Kodi screensaver kicks in when it happens?

Can you try to take a debug log?
As a reminder, you can have "<loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>" in advanced settings to have the debugging log enabled at all times without the "nagging" overlay Wink
Just watching and suddenly screen is blank and device is switched off. No warning or even indication that it's going to happen. After you have to boot the device back on so it's not normal sleep mode but full blown booting again. It's happening sometimes since we received the device so no firmware changes could have caused it.
Will try get some logs.
Ah. If it's not sleeping, it might be unrelated to Kodi. Looks like overheating shutdown to me.

@Zxurian It it the same for you, i.e. you cannot actually wake the device without a reboot?
logcat might give some clue.
(2015-07-16, 16:46)Koying Wrote: Ah. If it's not sleeping, it might be unrelated to Kodi. Looks like overheating shutdown to me.

@Zxurian It it the same for you, i.e. you cannot actually wake the device without a reboot?

My issue is slightly different I think.

When it happened, the light on the shield shuts off, and right after I hit center button on remote to wake it, and it came right back up. Didn't go through the boot process, so I don't think it fully shutoff. As soon as it woke up, went right to home screen, I ran Kodi, and continued the movie, which finished without issue. (< 1h left in movie)
I've seen this issue also just as Zxurian described. Watching a video and the Shield went into sleep mode (not shutdown).

I've also had the Android screensaver (Daydream) kick in while a video has been playing. This is also something that I've experienced on the Fire TV.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Yeah, Martijn's issue is hardware, I'm afraid.
Could those with a simple sleep issue try to get a debug log, please.

As it's unpredictable, see above to have debug enabled at all time without the overlay.
(2015-07-19, 09:33)Koying Wrote: Yeah, Martijn's issue is hardware, I'm afraid.
Could those with a simple sleep issue try to get a debug log, please.

As it's unpredictable, see above to have debug enabled at all time without the overlay.

I've had logging enabled, but as usual, as soon as I report it, it stops happening. If I see it happen again, I'll post a log to this tread. I haven't changed any settings on the device at all.
As a thought, is there anyway to Have Kodi generate a new datestamped log on run, instead of just moving existing to .old(or whatever the n-1 log is) and overwriting the current so there's only 2 most recently logs?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia shield shuts off when watching Kodi0