Win Need faster cpu
OK, I've gotten by til now with my HP mini with hdmi output, 2 core, 1.6mghz, 3 GB memory. But now the videos are getting sharper, my library is getting bigger, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm looking for a slim CPU that doesn't take up much rack space. I don't need a monitor and I use WiFi keyboard, so I don't need those hardware related extras. Easily accessible HD slots would be nice.
Most CPU's are pretty thin. Though on their own, wont do you much good.
I imagine, on the other hand, what you probably want is a slim computer.
"Rack space" - do you really mean that? Or do you just mean that you dont want it to take up much space?
XMBC / Kodi user since 2010 / Dharma. OpenElec user since 2011 / Eden.
Previously used a dedicated HTPC - am now a Kodi user, directly installed to my Sony Bravia Android TV.
Yeah, desktop/workstation CPUs are all the same thickness more or less. It's the coolers that make up the height. If you're using blade or rack type cases (It's what we use where I work for render farm nodes) it's the coolers that need to be after market, low profile, so as to not prevent the blade from sliding into the rack.

That or maybe he's not using the word 'Rack Space' correctly. I think I've only seen ONE Kodi setup that actually used a rack and it was hidden in a closet with HDMI running through the walls and other neat stuff.
Yes, I mean A/V shelf space. With receiver, turntable, AVR, TiVo, etc. Is there a low profile, or high slim box? My HP mini just fits.
Maybe look at the new braswell celerons ?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229096
I gotta do something, it just took 10 minutes to display my music library, 32k songs.
http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Mini-Barebon...-CI540NANO- core i5 processor probably has enough nuts for you if you combine8 gigs of ram and ssd Tongue
This may not be your CPU at fault, it could be a HDD and/or motherboard sata controller (pending what functions the motherboard has).

If you are looking for an upgrade, have a look through here first and then be a little more specific with your request:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216327
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
I would love not to need to a new box, but kodi seems to use more cpu to display large lists. For example, I can bring up my 32k library in iTunes, media monkey, vlc quickly with no issues. But kodi takes almost 10 minutes to load the songs view, and this happens each time you go back to the list. I get a similar, but not as long delay loading my ~10k music video library.
I think that Leo5111's suggestion is very much the line to be going down....
Sounds like you need a strong processor (the 'CPU'), though an i5 might still be overkill... but also futureproofed for easily the next 5 years too.

However the key to having a responsive system about understanding the nature of bottlenecks...
As a very brief analogy (and apologies if this sounds patronising, not my intention) I like to think about Data analogous to workmen moving construction material around a building site.
If 1 workman fills a wheelbarrow of bricks, to move from pile A to pile B, and the foreman wants to double the speed of brick movement, there is little value in employing 2 workmen to move the 1 wheelbarrow.

Back on topic, you need a strong overall system not just a good CPU.
This means fast RAM, and enough of it, as well as a really good SSD within the computer, and finally a good local network if you are streaming from the network.
This machine Gigabyte GB-BXi5-4570R is perhaps a little stronger, with a much faster CPU (though beware - also much, MUCH hotter) and 2 RAM slots, for 2 x 8GB of DDR31600, and pretty much any modern SSD will be great.
Personally, i'd get the Zotac still as it's CPU runs so much cooler (6W, compared to the 65W TDP of the Gigabyte), but i'm just providing choices here.[/i]
Previously used a dedicated HTPC - am now a Kodi user, directly installed to my Sony Bravia Android TV.
I feel that before one invests in a faster processor, we should determine weather the CPU is the real bottle neck in a music library of 32 000 songs. Something else in the program could be the bottleneck. His number of songs seems somewhat extraordinary to me and some people with experience with large scale music libraries might be helpful here.
I agree.
Also, i'd not advocate buying a 65W processor for nearly any machine for use on these forums...
An Intel NUC with a 15W processor would nearly always a better bet, such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D54250WYK1-i...6031749011

The Zotac remains a great buy though
I did a few tests with my other laptop, a dell with upgraded t990, 3ghz with 4 GB ram. It loads the 32k files in about 3-4 seconds, and that's while playing a music video at the same time.
my hp mini is:

Microprocessor: 1.60GHz Intel Atom Processor N270
Microprocessor Cache: 512KB L2
Does the zotac come with a sound card?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need faster cpu0