Win Glitch on Live TV with still frames/scene changes
Hi

I'm getting a strange glitch on Live TV (UK Freeview - I think it only occurs on HD (H264/1080i) but it's possible that it happens on SD too and I didn't notice). It seems to be related to still frames/scene changes, frames seem to appear repeated/out of order (jumps forward and back between the current and previous image). News programs that put up a still photo for example show the issue really badly.

I've uploaded a short example to show the issue:

Live TV (glitch)

It only occurs in live mode, I can rewind and replay it over and over again and it will always be the same, however if I record it and play back the recording (.wtv) it is fine, see:

WTV File (working)

I'm currently running Windows 7 x64, the latest ServerWMC (1.0.0.58 build 1199), Kodi Isengard RC2 (ServerWMC/Kodi both on same PC at the moment), Pentium G3258 (using integrated GPU). I tried turning off "Remux active recordings" but it didn't help.

I've searched as much as I can but have run out of things to try!

Any ideas? I saved the wtv file from above (although as shown it does play back OK) and can upload that if it would help. Thanks.
I added the log here (I appreciate the instructions state not to use a partial log but I did have to cut a chunk out that was nowhere near the relevant time in order to make it fit on Pastebin!).
I think its a bug with our remux code. Do you still have the wtv file for the example you posted in the first post?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Hi, thanks for the reply, here's the WTV file, let me know if there's anything else you need.
Thanks. I have the file now if you want to take it offline.
(2015-07-24, 00:57)krustyreturns Wrote: Thanks. I have the file now if you want to take it offline.
Thanks, I hope it's helpful.
I finally got a chance to look at this today. Unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem with the wtv you gave me. Can you post your serverwmc log on pastebin.com so that I can see if we have a difference in settings?
(2015-07-28, 21:09)krustyreturns Wrote: I finally got a chance to look at this today. Unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem with the wtv you gave me. Can you post your serverwmc log on pastebin.com so that I can see if we have a difference in settings?

Hi, thanks for looking into this, I put the log on Pastebin in an earlier post: http://pastebin.com/EeQPv7zR do you need more than this?

Just for info since reporting this I've moved the tuner card and ServerWMC into a separate PC running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Pack (I was previously running ServerWMC on the same Windows 7 PC as Kodi, Kodi is still running on the original PC and now steams from ServerWMC over GbE LAN). The issue remains the same under the new configuration so I'm not sure if it tells us anything but might eliminate potential issues on the HTPC. I have also noticed on a couple occasions that it doesn't recover the stream after this issue occurs, it stops and re-buffers the stream as if I'd just changed to the channel, this version of the issue is rarer and I've only seen it two or three times, don't know if it's relevant but thought I'd mention it.

If it would be helpful I've also got a very long WTV file (4.5 hours) here that exhibited the issue multiple times (when viewed live/time-shifted originally) as before the WTV file itself now plays correctly. I can upload it if it's likely to help (it's 6.5 GB), or I can try and capture more examples (it happens pretty frequently).

Thanks!
Sorry i didn't notice that you posted it already. Also, looking more carefully, I do see video corruption at the same time you reported it - it just doesn't look the same as the vid you posted earlier. So i have something to work with for now.
(2015-07-28, 22:58)krustyreturns Wrote: Sorry i didn't notice that you posted it already. Also, looking more carefully, I do see video corruption at the same time you reported it - it just doesn't look the same as the vid you posted earlier. So i have something to work with for now.

Sounds promising, I guess it's reasonable that different decoders or the same decoder running with different hardware acceleration could handle the corruption differently. Anyhow, thanks again for looking into this.
Hi, just wondered if you were able to make any progress on this? It happens so frequently that it makes certain types of programmes almost impossible to watch (typically news etc which contain lots of still frames).

Is there anything else I could do to help get to the bottom of this?

I've just installed 1226 and have tried every version in-between but always the same. I've tried two server PCs (one Windows 7 and one Windows 8), three different TV tuners (two PCIe quad DVB-T2 tuners and a USB DVB-T2 stick). Clients on Windows 7, 8, 10 & Raspberry Pi 2 (OpenELEC). Kodi Isengard betas through release and all five betas of Jarvis. I feel that I've eliminated everything that could be unique to my setup so am surprised it's not reported more often.

I'd really like to get this sorted so please do let me know if there's anything I can test or data I can provide (logs? examples etc?) if it would help?

Many thanks!
Actually I haven't forgotten this at all. This problem just turns out to be way more difficult then some of the more immediate stuff we wanted to change so it got relegated to the background. I thought I was clear earlier that it was a problem with our remux code, so trying lots on stuff on your end will likely not have any positive effect (however have you tried turning off hardware acceleration in kodi?). Part of the thing that makes this difficult is that what the problem looks like varies from player to player, and none of them look the same as what you posted in your video - for example vlc doesn't show any corruption at all.

While I know the problem is in our remuxer, figuring out what the actual cause is requires actual learning on my side and firing up more synapses then I am used to (hopefully they are still there). But as an interesting puzzle to work on, this one is at the top of my list, just a matter of finding time and ignoring the little bugs people keep finding. Its good to hear that someone still wants it solved.
Hi, thanks for the update I really appreciate the effort on this!

I was trying various things more by circumstance than anything (one tuner card died, I bought USB tuner sticks while waiting for RMA, replacement card was an updated model etc.). Really I just meant that if there's nothing unique about my setup why isn't the forum full of people reporting the same thing? It may be in part as you say it looks different on different systems (on my Raspberry Pi's it's not as noticeable but can cause it to rebuffer).

I did try disabling hardware acceleration in Kodi some time ago, my memory's a little fuzzy but from what I recall it still messed up but looked a bit different, I'll try it again and see.

I also thought it may be a UK based issue, I understand that the encoders used by the terrestrial broadcasters here are supposed to be extremely efficient, perhaps they use some obscure part of the DVB or H264 spec to minimize the datarate and give as much space to the other channels sharing the MUX. But hey I'm just guessing here I could be way off!

Anyway, thanks again, I'll keep my fingers crossed!
It definitely is broadcaster dependent and we did have one other user who complained of the same problem and he was also in the UK. It is curious that we don't have more, as we have a lot of users in the UK. Have you noticed whether the problem is only on certain channels?
Hi, I've noticed it mostly on the main HD channels here (BBC, ITV, Channel 4) which are all on the same MUX (PSB3) and thus encoded together. But that could be more down to the type of programmes that show it up being more common on those channels or simply the fact that we watch these the most (there are only two HD muxes anyway and I don't recall seeing it on SD channels).

HD is transmitted here using DVB-T2/H.264/1080i, SD is DVB-T/MPEG2/576i.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Glitch on Live TV with still frames/scene changes0