Asrock N3150-ITX Braswell + Windows = No HD Audio passthrough?
is it possible to have a passthrough of the newest HD audio formats like
Dolby TrueHD
DTS-HD Master Audio

on a Asrock N3150-ITX Braswell with Windows 7, 8.1, 10 and Kodi?
Or should i send my board back and get me another one?

It´s no problem with my old Asrock E350 board...
The ASRock Beebox also uses the Braswell and this is what anandtech said about the topic:

anandtech Wrote:One of the issues plaguing early Bay Trail-based units was the absence of HD audio bitstreaming support (DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD). Unfortunately, there seems to be a similar issue with Cherry Trail. The Intel drivers for the Beebox don't have HD audio bitstreaming support, and it is not clear when (if at all) Intel would provide Windows drivers with the feature enabled.

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9434/asroc...-ucff-pc/5

Only Intel can answer if there will be HD audio bitstreaming in the future for Windows.

Have you considered using linux?
(2015-07-14, 20:21)fritsch Wrote: On my N3150 board that I have here ... TrueHD DTS-HD is working like a charm ... but yeah no idea what happens on windows. Last time they also got no bitstreaming while Linux users had it (Baytrail).
*following*

Have these boards enough power to run Windows in a VM?
I would like to use one both as HTPC and NAS, but NTFS is rather slow on Linux
Is using NTFS a strict requirement? If you will run it as a NAS where other devices will access its data through the network using NFS / Samba / etc your devices won't tell the difference between underlying filesystems.
(2015-07-29, 16:47)oWarchild Wrote: The ASRock Beebox also uses the Braswell and this is what anandtech said about the topic:

anandtech Wrote:One of the issues plaguing early Bay Trail-based units was the absence of HD audio bitstreaming support (DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD). Unfortunately, there seems to be a similar issue with Cherry Trail. The Intel drivers for the Beebox don't have HD audio bitstreaming support, and it is not clear when (if at all) Intel would provide Windows drivers with the feature enabled.

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9434/asroc...-ucff-pc/5

Only Intel can answer if there will be HD audio bitstreaming in the future for Windows.

Have you considered using linux?
(2015-07-14, 20:21)fritsch Wrote: On my N3150 board that I have here ... TrueHD DTS-HD is working like a charm ... but yeah no idea what happens on windows. Last time they also got no bitstreaming while Linux users had it (Baytrail).

thank you very much!

linux would be perhaps a solution. But i have to see if all my things will work with it...
Steam streaming, etc.

Does anybody know a similar board?
I will sell my Asrock E350 and try to get one with more CPU/GPU-power.
But it should be able to passthrough the HD Audio formats and it should not consume too much power...
Any ideas?

Does this passthrough problem occure on all intel boards?
(2015-07-29, 18:41)oWarchild Wrote: Is using NTFS a strict requirement?
yes. the main point is conserving the Windows-only file _creation_ timestamp using Robocopy
second point is that there are powerfuller recovery tools for NTFS than for Linux filesystems
Quote:second point is that there are powerfuller recovery tools for NTFS than for Linux filesystems

This is fully wrong. There is only proprietary shit by 3rd party for a whole lot of money ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-30, 07:51)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:second point is that there are powerfuller recovery tools for NTFS than for Linux filesystems

This is fully wrong. There is only proprietary shit by 3rd party for a whole lot of money ...
yeah, but it works.
i used some tool from Data-Becker and managed to recover the full directory structure, filenames and timestamps from the dd_rescue dump of a headcrashed drive, even tough the MFT was screwed and not recoverable by any other tool. i never heard of other tools which could do this on Linux, and other pattern-based recovery tools like testdisk only recover the contents of a file, not the attributes...
And that means: ntfs is superior to e.g. ext4?

Edit: ext4 has a journal and there is fsck utility ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-30, 16:52)fritsch Wrote: And that means: ntfs is superior to e.g. ext4?
no. did i say that? it just means i prefer it for my use-case

fsck is like chkdsk, but both only works if the filesystem is not completely borked
not really - but anyways ... all the best and good drivers.
@tr4shcr4ft, if preserving your data is so important have you considered having a remote backup synced with something like rsync? Some HDD failures are not recoverable (or may be incredible expensive to recover) while having a 2nd HDD in a separate place may be a simple and cheaper (considering an expensive recovery in the long term) alternative.
that's almost the way i backup my personal files, one hot and one cold backup
but the htpc-nas would be only hosting dvd/br isos, cd rips, downloads
it still would be nice not having to reget everything, but not worth a 2nd drive
maybe you start another thread to discuss the RAID stuff? Wink

As far is i tested the Asrock N3150-ITX Braswell board the HDMI passthrough issue has to be solved by a new intel driver.
If and when it will be solved, dunno.

I tested it with Openelec, there the HD-audio passthrough works fine.
But, i need windows because of NTFS drives (too slow under Openelec), Bluray-Disc, Bitlocker etc.
I know, all this can be solved. But i really don´t have the nerves to learn a complete new system and get it running as it should.

So i am bound to windows.

I will try a AMD QC5000 board with A4-5000 APU.
Should be as fast as the N3150 Intel.
Anyone got one running with windows + Kodi?
HDMI-HD-Audio Passthrough works with it?
If i have it, i will test it myself and post results
Just finished with installation of my new BeeBox N3150.
with latest Openelec - HDMI Passthrough incl. Atmos works flawless...
On Windows 10 - no Chance - only DTS, Dolby Digital and Digital+ are shown from the driver...
No clue, why its such a Problem, because from any other CPU Integrated GPU with HDMI Sound (intel) was working perfect.
Driver from Intel currently don't support DTS-HD/TrueHD!
I'll switch back to OpenElec - once I'm finished with my testing.
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asrock N3150-ITX Braswell + Windows = No HD Audio passthrough?0