Deciding on the best 4K/60 Hz Video Card for HTPC
Question 
Hello everyone,

I've been searching around for the best video card that will support 4096 x 2160 at 60 Hz. I read the thread Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) and the recommended GPU is GT 630 V2. I'm not having an easy time sourcing that GPU and the places I am finding it they're asking for $145. I feel for $145 I should be able to purchase a better GPU. I would like a video card with HDMI 2.0 however I've had no luck in finding one. So I may have to go with DisplayPort (DP).

Now I maybe I'm just not looking good enough because I am not finding what I'm looking for. This is why I've created this thread. Also prefer something as quiet as possible of course. I'm still planning out my build so I am open to suggestions. At the moment I might be building my HTCP around an Xeon E5-4640 v2. Only because I already have it and got it for free. YES it's probably over kill but I'm not having any luck in sell it for what it's worth Undecided
Sofar the only GPU i know of with HDMI 2.0 is the Nvidia 960
Sweet but that is a $200 video card which isn't small. I don't mind making the purchase but my concern is heat and noise. Would anyone know of an upcoming GPU? I am in no rush to complete this build.
Since HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are so dang new there isn't really any cheap tech out yet. Give it another 2-3 years and the prices will be low once again.
Kepler and Maxwell nVidia cards will do HDMI 2.0 4:2:0 2160/60p and 50p modes as they fit into HDMI 1.4a's bandwidth, so that HDMI 2.0 can be added via a driver update on those cards. (Suspect they don't do HDCP 2.2)

I've got two relatively old cards running 2160/50p and 60p to my Sony UHD set (which only accepts 4:2:0 for these modes anyway...) Have NOT had success with Kodi using them though, either under Windows or OpenElec (even when home built with new Beta nVidia Linux drivers that support these modes).
If you're going to buy one right now the Nvidia 960 is the way to go.
Another possibility if you are willing to buy a new device is the Nvidia Shield Android TV. It's great for 4K, it also costs $200 and it's quiet. On the other hand it has some outstanding limitations, most notably lack of 23.976fps support and lack of HD audio bitstreaming. NVIDIA has said that it would look into adding support for these, so it may be worth waiting.

If you read FAQ: what hardware to get for 4K you'll find there really aren't many solutions available now for 4K.
Wait for the gtx 950 coming out soon.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
Awesome! I'd like to thank everyone for the great feedback. Like I mentioned I am in no rush to complete my build. In my search of finding the best solution for 4K I have notice it appears to be too early for a "perfect" solution. For not I think I'll just put together my build without 4K in mind and just hold off on video card. I'll just use any old video card with HDMI. So far I've picked out the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac and SilverStone SG13B. It may change over time, I'm not completely sold on the case due to it being a little on the large. However if you want the ability to use a full size video card to support 4K you'll need the room.
GTX 960, 970 and 980 run HDMI 2.0, don't know about the AMD cards but Nvidia is the better option for Kodi.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
One more question does it matter if it's 2GB or 4GB? I'd assume it wouldn't. It won't be for any gaming.
For HTPC usage 2gb is more then enough. I will personally be grabbing the 4gb version of the 960 for my gaming rig by the end of this year early next year.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Deciding on the best 4K/60 Hz Video Card for HTPC0