Bug Incorrect refresh rate detected
Hi.

Since version 15.0 Kodi is unable to detect the current refresh rate on my android platform (4.2.2), based on a allwinner a31 SoC. This problem was not present on previous versions.

When going to systems settings -> video calibration, it reports the right screen resolution, but the refresh rate is detected as 10.91 Hz, which is clearly wrong (in my case it should detect 60 Hz).

This causes the interface going quite un-smoothly in general. For instance the RSS scroll goes at full speed, making impossible to read anything.

An (ugly?) workaround for this is to disable the vertical synchronizing in settings.

I read somewhere, I don't remember if in this forum or elsewhere, that the android platform has problems with the getpreferredRefreshRate() system call. It seems indeed the case for me, I don't know if other users are affected by this as well. I search the forum and found nothing.

FYI, in my case I solved the problem by compiling Kodi 15.2 rc myself and changing the automatic (and incorrect) refresh rate detection in EGLNativeTypeAndroid.cpp to a fixed value of 60.0 (as in previous Kodi versions).

Unless there is a way to reliably detect the refresh rate on android, it would be nice to have the option to manually select the right value. For instance a menu in system -> video to select 'auto', '50', '60', etc.
(2015-08-31, 10:32)jordi2242 Wrote: Hi.

Since version 15.0 Kodi is unable to detect the current refresh rate on my android platform (4.2.2), based on a allwinner a31 SoC. This problem was not present on previous versions.

When going to systems settings -> video calibration, it reports the right screen resolution, but the refresh rate is detected as 10.91 Hz, which is clearly wrong (in my case it should detect 60 Hz).

This causes the interface going quite un-smoothly in general. For instance the RSS scroll goes at full speed, making impossible to read anything.

An (ugly?) workaround for this is to disable the vertical synchronizing in settings.

I read somewhere, I don't remember if in this forum or elsewhere, that the android platform has problems with the getpreferredRefreshRate() system call. It seems indeed the case for me, I don't know if other users are affected by this as well. I search the forum and found nothing.

FYI, in my case I solved the problem by compiling Kodi 15.2 rc myself and changing the automatic (and incorrect) refresh rate detection in EGLNativeTypeAndroid.cpp to a fixed value of 60.0 (as in previous Kodi versions).

Unless there is a way to reliably detect the refresh rate on android, it would be nice to have the option to manually select the right value. For instance a menu in system -> video to select 'auto', '50', '60', etc.

Hi

Have you got any other solutions for the refresh rate showing as 11hz and not 60hz in Android?
I'm running Rockchip RK3288 & RK3368 devices.
In any Kodi later than 14.2 the framerate is detected as 11hz and the menus are very sluggish.

Can you perhaps share your EGLNativeTypeAndroid.cpp file and other files also if there are any changes made for Kodi 15.2 rc2/3 that works correctly for you.
I will then also try to compile with the old settings.
Do you have any other optimizations for compiling or following the readme.Android file for compiling Kodi only.
Is neon support automatically enabled when compiling Kodi or how to enable it?
Unfortunately I don't have any solution, I'm just detected the bug and reported it.

Regarding my EGLNativeTypeAndroid,cpp, it is easy. Just go to line 181 and set res->fRefreshRate = <your refresh rate>; Look at the code here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...d.cpp#L181

This is not a nice solution. It requires recompiling Kodi just to have this fixed. This is why I suggested to include a setting that allows to select the refresh rate manually. I would do it myself, but I have no idea of where to start. If someone could point to the right direction (meaning where in the code should I put a new user setting), I may try. On the other hand, this seems like a trivial thing to do for one of the Kodi developers ...
I could probably assume than anything < 20.0 is bogus.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Incorrect refresh rate detected0