Linux Streaming the kodi gui to an other computer
hi,

the normal way to make changes on my htpc is ssh. but sometimes it would be useful to see the gui on the computer from that i'm working. the only idea i have is to install a vncserver on the htpc an "stream" the display to my normal computer, but thats very slow as i could see on my notebook. is there any other way to realize that, ie. with an other webinterface then the installed one?

bunter fisch
Are you using a laptop to ssh?
i use my laptop and my desktop pc.
Depends on what you want to achieve.

If you just want to remote control, play media, start scans, browse library contents etc, then you can enable a web interface, I recommend chorus or chorus2. For this all you need is the web interface addon, configuring kodi once and a browser on any machine, phone to access this web interface.

If you want to watch media this another machine while its playing on that machine and see the UI exactly as you see it on the machine, then you are after vnc. There are various posts on this boards to configure and install vnc servers on that machine, so all you have to do is search even the wiki a user put up some info http://kodi.wiki/view/User:Cpugenesis/Se...ibuntu-VNC. In Linux its x11vnc for other OS no idea.

Steam is also an alternative to vnc dont ask me how and tbh I think its a useless gimmick which is only bloatware.
Quote:If you want to watch media this another machine while its playing on that machine and see the UI exactly as you see it on the machine, then you are after vnc.

waching videos is not what i want, but see the ui of my htpc would be helpful sometimes. but first i'll try chorus. it seems chorus v1 is only in english?
I just don't follow.

You use a laptop to ssh into Kodi.

You also want to see the Kodi GUI while sshing.

So, take the laptop with you, and sit by the kodi monitor lol

Unless I'm misunderstanding something
(2015-09-02, 19:00)bunter fisch Wrote:
Quote:If you want to watch media this another machine while its playing on that machine and see the UI exactly as you see it on the machine, then you are after vnc.

waching videos is not what i want, but see the ui of my htpc would be helpful sometimes. but first i'll try chorus. it seems chorus v1 is only in english?

Chorus won't give you Kodis GUI. Chorus is understood as a web based remote controll. It has its own GUI, but that's not Kodis GUI.
If you genuinely want to see 100% of the Kodi interface on a remote machine, and then control it, the only way I know is to use something like VNC (alternatives are available based on your OS, e.g. shared meeting applications, TeamViewer, LogMeIn, GoToMyPC and similar). Everything else will give you a different interface, or a 'look but don't touch' display only.
(2015-09-03, 00:20)ilovethakush Wrote: So, take the laptop with you, and sit by the kodi monitor

what i've written is:

Quote:i use my laptop and my desktop pc.
(2015-09-02, 19:00)bunter fisch Wrote:

So now you know what your options are, vnc would also cover that usage as well. No Idea about which languages Chorus is available in, but in theory you can translate Chorus to any language you want, though Chorus 1 development is no more only chorus 2 and while it works it is still a development in progress project.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming the kodi gui to an other computer0